Customer piecing error - should I point it out?

I just finished a customer quilt and when I laid it on the floor I noticed a rather obvious piecing error. It is a sort of simple trip around the world quilt made with 6" squares set on point. It radiates from the center from gold to pink to brown , etc. One of the squares was supposed to be pink, but she used a gold. When I was loading it I thought I noticed something odd, but didn't pay much attention, so quilted it as is.

Should I have unloaded the quilt at the time and checked it? Should I tell the customer or let her find her error herself? Do I offer to requilt that area if she wants to fix it? I am at a loss. If it was a little error I probably wouldn't say anything, but this is blatant. And I think she intends giving this as a gift.

I think in that situation, just tell her it was stitched before you really knew something was wrong, and give her the option of leaving it, have her frog the quilting and replace the block, then pay a bit extra for the added quilting, Or pay to have you frog and her fix it and you quilt it. I think the one solution is the best, the one with her frogging and fixing. Good luck on a good outcome.

If she notices it on pick-up, let her know that she can always appilique the correct color piece over the error and if you feel generous you can offer to match the quilting after she finishes. Do a temporary re-load with clamps or pins and it will be a quick and matching fix without any stitch removal.

Guest Linda S

I would tell her I noticed it after stitching and that if she would like to pick out that section of quilting and fix the piecing, you'd requilt that area for her. If she wants to put it in a show or something, it would count!! If it's just an every-day bed quilt, she may not care. If I had made an error, I would want to know. Of course, I never make errors! ;):D

I agree with Linda - you should tell her (gently, of course). This happened to me when I was working on a friend's quilt. As soon as I laid it out on the bed to take pictures I saw the mistake.

When she came to pick it up, I pointed it out and apologized for not noticing it while I was quilting. I told her if she wanted to remove the quilting in that area and correct the mistake, I'd be happy to re-quilt that portion.

She went home, talked to her husband, and she decided to fix it. It was going to hang in our local show, and even though it wasn't being judged, she wanted it to be right.

Thanks for all this advice. I called the customer tonight to tell her that her quilt was ready. In an 'off the side' way, I asked if the gold square was intentional because she wanted to make the quilt unique. She actually really didn't care. She just said to leave it the way it is. I suppose I worried for nothing. I know that if it were my quilt I would be replacing the square or adding a patch. Different strokes I guess...

Caroline, I had a similar experience!! I discovered the mistake-- it was a unit of the block turned the wrong way. Should have made a circle but didn't!!! I waited all day to reach the customer and when I finally reached her she said the same thing as your customer!! She said she and her husband had looked the quilt over and didn't see any mistakes so it must not show too much!!! WEll, I didn't argue but----- Like you said Different strokes!!!

Archived