Free Form Curves Wallhanging

I just finished one of my OWN projects!!! Yeah! I think it might be done, because I felt no pressure because it is going in our bathroom wall above the towel racks. :P

This is a Louisa Smith technique from her book, Strips 'n Curves. You start with a large print, then pick a small coordinating print and 18 solid-like contrasting fabrics for the stripping. It didn't turn out at all like I expected, but it was fun. We did it as a group project, and everyone had different results.

Thanks for looking!

post--13461907553561_thumb.jpg

I stitched in the ditch on the striping and cuved patches (okay, I SID everything), then outlined the floral design elements, hoping to pop them out more. You were supposed to applique' some flowers on top, but I did not think it would add to this piece (I'm also getting more realistic about getting projects done.). Then, I did simple water waves and bubbles in the backgrounds.

The border fabric was about a 5" border with fantastic fabric, but when I quilted over the chevron design to bring it out, it totally conflicted with the stripes in the center. So, I cut off most of it, to keep the focus on the center and just turned the border fabric to the back, to create a rolled type of binding. It worked out, but I'm not going to show you the back! :cool:

This is the first time I used Quilters Dream Puff. Great definition, but not sure I would recommend it for a wallhanging, as it doesn't hang straight without blocking, unless you quilt it very densely all over. JMHO Rainbows and Bottom Line thread.

post--13461907553694_thumb.jpg

Joan:

I love Dream Puff for definition also. I have used it for a wall hanging but put 80/20 with scrim underneath it. Worked great. I raised the hopping foot just a bit. It hangs nicely.

Your piecing design with the curves and strips is so creative. I love it! It would be interesting to see what it looks like with different fabrics. Isn't it fun to try new things!

Wonderful Joan, I have that book, I have many books...lol.....guess I should read some of them and maybe make one or two of the designs.....I love how yours turned out....mind you....if I hung that above the towel rail in my bathroom.....guess where the first place to look for a clean towel would be :o:o:o

Joan that looks great and I really commend you on the SID! IMHO I think that SID makes all the difference in the definition of a quilt. I love dream puff but if I were using it for a wallhanging I would use another more solid batting like 80/20 or dream poly (fav choice) on the bottom. That gives you the stability. I do the same when I use wool. Nice job. Looks like a piece of art. Love your colors.

way cool design! I don't know if I could get my lines to match up with the curved piecing. Love the color choices, and I think you're right about the applique. It would probably be too much. I love the dream puff, but I haven't done many wall hangings, so it's good to know it needs another layer for stability. I guess that would be true if you were doing a quilt for show?

Archived