Quiltazoid - how to better utilize

I bought my Quiltazoid about a year ago and it spends most of its time gathering dust. Please give me some tips on how to get more use out of it. I have used the spiro part on several quilts but I don't seem to find a use for the templates. These are the ones I purchased: #11 spiral, #24 squeezed square, #15 a segamented template, #18 Regal and #21 Block party. I know that a lot of you use it for curved crosshatching but I had just purchased Deloa's set of rulers so did not buy the curved crosshatching. I am going to try #21 block party later tonight but when I tried it months ago it seemed very tedious and I had trouble keeping it aligned.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Most of my customers want e2e the most inexpensive I can do to hold their quilts together.

Thanks for any ideas.

I've had mine 2 years and just figured out how to use the spirograph. Adam couldn't figure out what I was doing either. I followed all the steps, but then it would move and make a weird design. I did get it to work and will be posting the quilt in a few days. I did 66 blocks with the same spirograph. It really looks nice.

I bought the beadboard and the crosshatch board because I use them all the time in borders. I also have DeLoa's curved crosshatching rulers, but I use them for small work inside a quilt. I just ordered the double sided crosshatch with 1/2 on one side and an inch on the other, but it is backordered.

Do a search. Go under the topic in the forum on quiltazoid. Hit the in the past year. Monica posted a quilt using one of the templates and it was stunning. Awhile ago someone else used the template in a quilt and it was stunning, too. She used parts in smaller blocks. Cindy Thompson also posted a gorgeous quilt that Adam and Linda used in their show booth. Once I see what someone does, I can copy. But I'm not good at designing myself.

Just remember to make sure your quilt is straight on the frame and don't hit the bar or it moves the design. We should get Linda and Adam to post quilts on their site so we can all see how people are using the templates.

Here is one thing I recently did with my quiltazoid. It is the top of the stocking. I just loaded some fabric and put the design on the fabric and then cut out what I wanted. This board is actually the large and small spirals but only used the large ones for this. With a little thought I figured out how to make this work and I used blue painters tape and marked where I started and stopped on the particular part of the design. I have done this with other boards when I wanted just a particular part of the design for something. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Donna sco, go under Gadgets and Goodies and then click on Quiltazoid and there are lots of posts that people have posted their pictures and told of which templates they used. I seem to use Regal the most for blocks and partial blocks and I've even used half of it for a border. There is a page on Adam and Linda's website with pictures of customer's quilts. http://www.quiltazoid.com/customer-quilts Hope this helps.

Cute stockings, Bonnie!

All the girls have given you good advice as far as looking for ways to use the QZ. I did a sampler and that really gave me an idea of what I could do with it. I use it mostly for cross-hatching & bead boarding, which I do a lot! I also use it for single designs like sprirograph and block designs. For all the cross hatching and bead boards I've done I've paid for it many times over.

I, too, made a sampler of all the QZ designs I have just to see how they looked stitched out. It's kind of hard to know just how big or what the design looks like on the stepping templates. I have used parts of a design as well. Just play around with it. Possibilities are endless.

I don't have the beadboard yet, but it's on my wish list. I like them all, so can't really claim a favorite. I have several boards from R & S Designs, too. The QZ stylus works well with both.

I use the basic QZ circle maker quite often. It makes a perfect circle for the spine of feather wreaths. I also do overlapping, half-circles for border designs. I use my 1/4 inch crosshatching template for beadboard, piano keys, diagonal crosshatching, etc. I have used spirograph designs as the basis for snowflakes, adding freehand embellishment to the basic spiro's. Spiro's fill up Stack-n-whack designs really well.

I purchased the swag border template, but it just doesn't work well for me. I also have another-Pine Burr looking one., Number 19..which I haven't used at all. I don't do a lot of quilts that warrant that type quilting and didn't like it on the quilt I bought it for. I'm contemplating selling both the Swag and my #19 after the first of the year.

Lynn

Archived