Question about thread

Hi all! Can I use Robson Anton thread or Janome brand thread that is for embroidery machines on my longarm? That is the only thread available in my town. I don't want to run clear down to Dayton to get the Isocord color I need. I use Isocord allot and it works wonderfully! It is for embroidery machines, so I am thinking this other will work... any input? thanks!

A customer brought me spools of Janome embroidery thread made for the bobbin. She wanted a fine TOP thread used on her king-sized quilt. I did not want to use it on my machine since it was so thin, I did not think it would last.

If your thread looks like it is strong enough and overall a good quality, try it.

Good luck!

Keep in mind, that not all our machines react to the same threads the same.

We all live in different climates, and I believe that alone has alot to do with it. Humidity, dryness, etc.

I always say, try whatever you want on scrap. You will then know if it works for you alone!!!

That is the one nice thing about APQS machines, they seem to love just about every thread on the market!!!

I've used polyester embroidery threads in my Millie, but never rayon. I thought it wasn't strong enough to hold up over time if in a quilt that was washed frequently. One thing that I do know about the rayon embroidery thread is that it isn't as colorfast as the poly. Probably OK in a wall quilt. Are some of you using rayon?

Guest Linda S

I've used Robison Anton thread a few times and it seems to run fine. The problem that can happen with rayon, however, is not longarm related. We had a 'thread' going several years ago about the color crocking (dry bleeding) onto quilts. I stopped using it then, though I had not personally had a problem with it.

Marsha - those threads sound as though they would be strong enough to run in your machine. I always give thread a "snap test." If it breaks too easily in my hands, I won't put it in a quilt. About the only threads I won't use for longarm quilting a Maxi-Lock and MasterPiece.

Rayon threads tend to run fine on our longarms, but be warned - some rayons lose their tensile strength when they get wet! Take a length of your thread, hold it between your hands like dental floss and hold it under running water. If it separates, don't use it for your primary quilting thread - unless you want practice "requilting" that quilt! It should work fine for decorative quiltng, but it won't hold up as primary.

Archived