NQR-Barn Owl Cam-Update 1st Egg Hatched!

I thought some of you might enjoy this feathered stress reliever. I know that the Iowa eagles were quite popular earlier in the year. This pair of owls are nesting in a tree at an Audubon sanctuary in Orange County, California and Mrs. O just laid her fifth egg this morning. As usual Mr. O isn't taking too much notice of the proceedings. If all goes as usual there will be a couple more eggs over the next few days and they will hatch sometime early in January. There were seven eggs in the last clutch and five owls survived. The cam takes a few moments to load and the owls are usually more active when it gets dark. Things liven up when the eggs hatch of course.

Enjoy!

Sue

www.starrranch.org/

Update: The first egg hatched yesterday. There are some neat videos on the site of the event. A second egg looks to be beginning the process too!

I can't believe I just sat and stared at an owl on a nest for 10 minutes!!! She moved once, I saw the 5 eggs, she turned around and now you can't see her face!!! Like looking at a still photo mostly but I was still so fascinated!!! Amazing!!! Looks like it takes her a little over 48 hours to produce an egg. I wonder if she will lay another!!!

Originally posted by Deb2bie

I can't believe I just sat and stared at an owl on a nest for 10 minutes!!! She moved once, I saw the 5 eggs, she turned around and now you can't see her face!!! Like looking at a still photo mostly but I was still so fascinated!!! Amazing!!! Looks like it takes her a little over 48 hours to produce an egg. I wonder if she will lay another!!!

I understand the sitting and staring, they have such beautiful faces. They are addictive. The fun really begins when the chicks begin hatching. There may be another egg in the morning!

Sue

Originally posted by DB

Thanks for the link. It looks like she is a known bird, I think I saw a band on her right leg.

Dianne

You are right Dianne she is known. This pair have produced earlier clutches. Mrs. O has one band, Mr. O one on each leg. When the young are reach a certain age they too will be banded and then returned to the nest. There is a link on the site to a television programme that was shown on PBS earlier this year which shows their last clutch being banded.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

This is so cool!!! I loved watching the baby hatch.

I do part-time work for the Fish & Game Commission and because Dennis donated wood for some burrowing owl boxes, the man who received it made me a barn owl box. Its sitting in Quincy on the porch, but I'll be bringing it back with me in April. I'll put an ad in the paper right after that in the hopes that I get a tenant real soon!!:P

Thank you Sue so much for sharing this. I am absolutely hooked!!! I keep checking back every so often to see what's the latest happenings in the nest. I've seen dad in for a snooze, an egg starting to hatch and also a dead rodent removed from the "pantry" and used for dinner!!! This is totally amazing, and great inspiration for the next quilt project. Thank you again.

Just loving it:D

Originally posted by DoryJM

This is so cool!!! I loved watching the baby hatch.

I do part-time work for the Fish & Game Commission and because Dennis donated wood for some burrowing owl boxes, the man who received it made me a barn owl box. Its sitting in Quincy on the porch, but I'll be bringing it back with me in April. I'll put an ad in the paper right after that in the hopes that I get a tenant real soon!!:P

LOL. I hope that you find some good tenants!

Archived