NQR - Caucus Day in Iowa !

Well, the caucus day (night) has finally arrived in Iowa. We have been bombarded with phone calls (8-10 a day), TV ads, fliers in the mail. It gets ridiculous after a while. The millions of $$ spent just in Iowa is astounding and to think this is only the first state ! Seems all that money could be put to better use other than all the negative ads. So far, none of them have come through as a clear cut winner. Tomorrow Iowa will be deserted and forgotten. Yayyyyy! Good luck New Hampshire ! Your turn. haha

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

Well, the caucus day (night) has finally arrived in Iowa. We have been bombarded with phone calls (8-10 a day), TV ads, fliers in the mail. It gets ridiculous after a while. The millions of $$ spent just in Iowa is astounding and to think this is only the first state ! Seems all that money could be put to better use other than all the negative ads. So far, none of them have come through as a clear cut winner. Tomorrow Iowa will be deserted and forgotten. Yayyyyy! Good luck New Hampshire ! Your turn. haha

Linda, I thought Iowa was just famous because our machines are made there!!:P:P

Political calls are exempt from the Do Not Call List...........why, I don't know, but they should be. We should be allowed to decide who calls us. We have had sooooo many automated surveys, reminders to vote for this one or that one, asking us who we will vote for. (If it happens to be a real person, I tell them it is none of their business !) Most of the calls are automated, so we can't even tell them to take our name off their list. On Saturday I had 10 calls in a row - all political. They kept interrupting my sewing! Not a good idea...........they weren't winning any points with me. :P

Bobbi, I agree that there should be limits on the $ spent and each and every candidate has to stay within those limits. It is sad that there are probably a lot of great people out there who would do a good job, but they don't have the big bucks to back them.

I feel all those politicians who can spend millions/billions like it was chump change do not have ANY idea how the "real world" lives and survives. They all need to work a farm for a year during drought/floods/tornadoes or work in a factory wondering if they will have a job tomorrow.

I'll think our phones are out of order tomorrow because they won't be ringing every few minutes.

I got to the point of not answering the phone...

Santorum didnt spend much on advertising and got as many votes as Mitt ....see how he does in other states..and yes seed corn ads are looking pretty good.....

I guess we as Iowans better not complain to much as we want to be important in the election process with the caucus...

Originally posted by Bobbi47

Wouldn't it be great if each candidate was allowed equal sums of $$ for their campaign? Then they would have to actually campaign on the issues! And the winner wouldn't be the person with the most money! How kool would that be?

Wasn't that what the Campaign Financing bill of several years ago was supposed to achieve? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Unless it's changed since I left, these are the rules in UK elections. Jolly good too.

OK that's my soapbox for today - enuf politicking!

Originally posted by Deb2bie

Doesn't the 'no solicitation' work on these political calls? I would think it would or maybe the people who do that should make it part of it.

We got woke up this morning at 5:30 AM from a phone call... caller ID said it was a "private" number. I just hung up. It was probably a politician! UGH! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think I will disconnect my phone, not watch any TV for the next 12 months. These politicians make my stomach turn! :o

It was soooo nice and quiet around here today. The phone didn't ring once, no junk in the mailbox either. Ahhhhhh.....I only heard the local news warning people to check with the airlines before heading to Des Moines and to get there early because there would be such a crowd at the airport with everyone leaving Iowa ! haha

Archived