feedback from the other side

i read alot of blogs and i found this blog post this morning:

http://lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/long-arm-quilting.html

she basically asks about sending quilts out to be LAed. i'm reading the comments- WOW! even though most are not in the US, it's nice to see what they remember about their experience and what they don't.

i notice alot if comments mention the 'expense' of sending a quilt out, but most of the comments are from those under 30 and i remember $100 being alot of money back then :P

the couple of 'horror' stories i've read so far are mostly based on miscommunication and shoddy workmanship.

*giggle* i feel weird reading the comments, like being a fly on the wall in the boys locker room :)

Well, that was interesting....nice to hear how those who haven't tried hiring a LA'r feel, it's too bad some have had such bad experiences but glad to hear also from those who have had good experiences....I think the cost issue....is something they really don't take into consideration for the expense of the machine, time, and training it takes to get there...I know most of my business comes from show and tell at the guild or LQS.

The comments on that blog made for interesting reading. It's good "food for thought", in appreciating expectations of the customer and also responsibilities of the quilter. I also echo Viki's comments. I think they sometimes just don't fully understand what is involved, to get the "quilt top to beautiful quilt" stage, especially when the quilter has to deal with problematic piecing and other issues.:)

Originally posted by doodlebug

the thing that kindda got me is they felt that by sending out their quilts to be LAed, they didn't feel like it was 'their' quilt anymore....i mean, i get it, but i don't

Yeah, I don't get that either. It's still their quilt.

oh my I hear that saying so much , I really don't get it , what is it that if you have someone else quilt it they feel its no longer their quilt ? why ? so when I have asked they say if I don't quilt it then I am just a piecer not a quilter

I am just so glad not everyone feels that way , we all wonderful clients who love our work :D

Originally posted by doodlebug

the thing that kindda got me is they felt that by sending out their quilts to be LAed, they didn't feel like it was 'their' quilt anymore....i mean, i get it, but i don't

I understand exactly what they are saying because that was my whole reason for getting a longarm. I feel like the quilting is what makes the quilt. It sort of breaths life into the piecing so I wanted to be the one to breath life into it. I'm sure there are just as many people that don't feel that way and that is why we're in business but for me I want to do my own from start to finish.

I do understand what they mean and I think probably many longarmers do really, it's why we bought our machines to finish our own quilts, we still all know the buzz we get don't we?

That said there are piecers who really would benefit from having a quilter do the quilting!

Edited to say Heidi and I were thinking/typing the same thing at the same time....lol...

I have a couple of customers who think that way--that they want to do it all start to finish. And yet they still bring me the big quilts and the "important" ones.

Prolific piecers who have a couple of projects going and three more spinning around in their heads might not get anything finished if they didn't have a longarm partner!

I have some customers who bring me tops that say they KNOW they aren't quilters, just piecers and want their masterpiece finished. And when they show it, who gets the ribbon? They do of course so it is their quilt, they say they like to "quilt with their checkbooks".

That being said, they didn't spin the thread for the fabric, or make the batting, so you have to draw the line somewhere...

Personally, I enjoy the quilting process the most over piecing, I like to think that is my gift that I am using and developing. And I would have gotten a long arm and done my own quilting anyway just because I love that part of the process. Heidi is right - it breathes life into the piecing.

I left England 10 years ago. I thought about having my larger quilts LA quilted but there weren't many LAers around then and those that I met at quilt shows did not impress me with their work or attitude. I actually carried over 3 large quilts on 3 separate trips to get them quilted here in VT. 1 of those quilters has become my LA mentor and a good friend.

Of course, I didn't come across Ferret or Linzi or Kay or Janette or any other of our UK based APQS quilt buddies while I was still living in the UK. Based on the work they do I would have been happy to send quilts to them to be LAed! It sounds as if there are a few barriers to UK quilters using LAers. One is culture - It's not their quilt if they don't quilt it. Another is that access to a choice of LAers may not be as easy as here in the US. There aren't as many bricks-and-mortar quilt shops there. Also, is LA quilting more expensive there because getting a good machine is more expensive there? I remember Linzi and Kay telling us of the complications and added costs of getting a machine imported into the UK.

I'm sure cost is an issue. Fabric that we pay $10 a yard for costs 15 pounds sterling a metre - that's way more than $20 a yard!

I was back in England for a month last September/October and there certainly seems to be an atmosphere of belt-tightening and reducing expenses in the current fiscal/political climate. That doesn't help either.

Thanks Shannon, this is an eye-opening look at quilting outside the US.

Archived