stitch regulator

I am not sure that my stitch regulator actually works as I think it should, as the stitch length gets smaller if I move slower, and bigger when I move faster, even when my SR is on and set at a certain stitch size.

Am I going crazy, or do you think I could have a problem with something? It has also started hesitating at certain times as if it has failed completely, but then when I check the stitches they are OK, but I get a kind of pause feeling when running it?

I wish I did have MM wheels (not available for my Lenni unless I get new table)

I wondered if it could be caused by static or possibly the cold. I would very much appreciate Dawn or Mark giving me some advice as to what would cause that pause.

Many thanks

Mine does that, too. I just figured it was because the SR was doing the best it could and was not perfect. It does well enough that I can't really complain, but it does do that. If I go really fast the stitches get bigger, slower they get smaller. Cold weather doesn't affect mine; it's the same winter or summer.

Originally posted by Janette

I wish I did have MM wheels (not available for my Lenni unless I get new table)

I wondered if it could be caused by static or possibly the cold. I would very much appreciate Dawn or Mark giving me some advice as to what would cause that pause.

Many thanks

I had a grounding wire sent over from APQS, the machine/carriage are only connected through the wheels....the wire is to ground your machine and carriage to the table so there is no shorting out of electicity....in my mind that would be static too.....someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Janette, as you know I haven't done alot of quilting yet this week so will give my system a longer test probably on Friday....dam that day job!!!

Thought I would update as people want to know when and how problems get solved.

I thought it could be the cold that was making my stitch regulator pause, but after having a particularly bad morning with it, I changed my stitch regulator cable to my spare and it worked perfectly, so I am guessing there was a loose wire somewhere in the cable and connector.

I also notice some variation with my stitch regulator. After I'd had my millie for a year, I noticed that in different directions, the stitch length would vary. Amy talked me though some testing and adjusting of the screws on the circuit boards on the back of the machine. My advice is to call apqs, or post some test pics of your stitches so they can see what stitch problem you are having. As far as the grounding wire, I recently had to replace my m & m wheels becuase I had some defective ones. I also installed the grounding wire at that time. Since having the grounding wire installed , I have much less flaky oxidation buildup on the wheels. :)

That's all really interesting because I have been saying for ages that that is exactly how my SR works, or not - slow, small stitches, faster, longer stitches. I did raise it with APQS originally, when it was suggested it was most likely due to my inexperience at handling the machine - that was in 2008. It hasn't got any better. I did email APQS about it quite a while ago but got no response. Also mentioned it when serviced by Mark when he was here.

I don't think mine is likely to be down to alteration in temperature as I keep my studio minimally heated all the time. I think I compensate quite well now as I am used to it but I would really like to remedy this problem.

Once my new table is fully functional, I'll give it a test run. Thanks for flagging this up Jeanette.

About a year or so ago, I noticed that while DW was quilting with the stitch regulator that the machine would surge, speed up, just momentarily. I felt that the problem was with the connections to the encoders becoming oxidized, because when I disconected and reconected the conection the problem would go away for awhile.

I work for a company that sells electric forklifts and a product that all our technicians use for electrical problems is DeoxiT and DeoxiT Gold. The techs tell me that just a little corrosion or contamination can cause all kinds of problems on electrical components. I went to Radio Shack and you can buy a package that includes both probucts and just unplug the connections going to the encoder boxes and follow the directions on the product and then reconnect the connections and then take very good electrical tape, 3M brand, and secure the connections so that they don't work loose.

GeoTech

Mine does this, and it is really bad when I use the channel locks to do piano keys, or bead board. So much so, that I finally stopped using the channel locks. Some of the stitches got so small, I would hate to have to try to frog them. It would hesitate, then stitch really fast and really tiny, with me not changing anything I was doing.

Hi Chris,

I ordered the cables on their own, they disconnect from the back of the black encoder boxes and plug into the machine head.

I think they are about $8 each (Plus shipping to the UK) - I have been in touch with Amy to order a couple of new spares, as my new spare rear one doesn't work. Just reminded me to email her again, as she has not replied yet.

Archived