Computerized System

I played with all the computerized system at the MQX show in Portland. I liked the IQ "Intelliquilter" the best. It seemed to be very user friendly and I liked the support you can get. It is small and you can remove the tablet and design stuff, then put it back on your LA and sew. They have a great website to teach you how to use it. I actually just bought one last week and is awaiting delivery. Here is the website

http://www.intelliquilter.com/

I can't wait to get mine in and quilt with it :)

I was the first APQS customer to get a computerized system back in 2005. I have a CompuQuilter and love it (this was before the IQ was created). I say, definitely bite the bullet and purchase a computerized system. I also say check out both systems and go with the one you feel suites you the best. I have never thought twice about whether I made the right decision. I know I did!

I wouldn't buy anything but an Intelliquilter. Zoltan is great if you have issues. The update improvements are frequent and free. There is a local group here in E IA and everyone is very helpful. If you live close enough to attend MQS or one of the MQX's you can get a lot of basic and extended training classes there. I don't so chose to pay Suzzanne Moreno for private online classes. I am finding them very worthwhile and $ well spent considering hotel costs and travel costs. The IQ allows you to do a lot of customizing if any design. Look at some oh the YouTube videos about it. There will be other here who use different systems & can tell you about them.

I also suggest the IQ. however, I am biased! ;o). I waited along time to get my computer system, researched and took classes on the available brands for APQS before purchasing. I was extremely impressed with the IQ, so much so, that I begged Zoltan to let me be a dealer since I am also an APQS dealer! :D

If you have any questions, I would be happy to talk with you.

Hello,

I just purchased the Intelliquilter and though I still need to do some practicing, there's are some things to think about...you don't need to buy a quiltazoid, Hartley fence, or the templates and boards that go with those things, you can do the same type of patterns with the Intelliquilter. The Intelliquilter will not violate your quilt machine warranty. I am liking it very much.

T. Springer

Texas Newbie

I have 2 Millenniums, both outfitted with CompuQuilters. I love, love, LOVE them! Personally, I prefer the stability & accuracy of the belt drive over the friction wheels on the IQ, but that's just my opinion.

CompuQuilter comes with Art & Stitch software (over $900 value!), so I can design my own patterns, modify, and tweak those that I own. Both systems have their pros and cons, as with anything else in life.

CompuQuilter comes with free "demo" software that I have on my laptop, so I can be designing, doing layouts, showing customers etc., while my machines are stitching. All software upgrades are free, and the system is pretty easy to install yourself.

The VERY complete manual includes step by step lessons, so by the time you work your way through them, you're an expert! I don't think you'll see CompuQuilter classes at any of the shows because there really is no need for them. The system is very intuitive and EASY to learn, right from the beginning. I've even started my 9 year old granddaughter using it. :) She can read the prompts on the screen, so knows what to do next.

You WILL see classes for Art & Stitch, which is such a great addition to the CompuQuilter, or ANY computerized system.

I'm an APQS Sales Rep and also a CompuQuilter Dealer, which happened AFTER I had bought and used the system for several years.

Whichever system you decide on, I know you'll love the design freedom you'll have. I'm finding my design choices no longer have to be based on MY skill in following that little red laser light. I just put in the size I want the block, or pattern to stitch and push the little red button on the front of my machine. CQ pulls up the bobbin thread, either backtacks, anchors, or "pull only" (my choice), and away she goes. I can speed her up for easy smooth patterns, and slow her down for tiny, intricate work.

Good luck with your choice. Whateve it is, you'll wonder why you waited so long!:D

Guest Linda S

I have the Intelliquilter and absolutely love it. It's right there on the head of the machine, disconnects in two seconds, and you can easily make designs out of bits and pieces right there on the screen. It's absolutely fabulous.

I am partial ti the IQ because that's what I have. I love that you don't need special wiring for it and you can take the "computer tablet" off the machine and work on designs, take it to classes, etc. It is very accurate and easy to use.

I wish that I would have bought the IQ right out before spending thousands of dollars on the CL (great non-computer tool), Topper, pattern boards, rulers, stencils, etc. After looking back the "help" tools add up fast.

Originally posted by aktbone

I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and purchase a computerized system to add to my Millie.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Which one?

Price range?

Pro & cons.

Thanks

I have the IQ as well and love it. I'm biased though, I'm an IQ dealer. :)

Here are some answers to your questions:

Which one: Neither CompuQuilter nor Intelliquilter will void your 8 year APQS warranty. That's a big deal.

Price Range: Intelliquilter is $12,500 for a self install. (APQS machines are a no-drill install). To get it installed you will need to pay dealer travel costs which vary as to how far your dealer is from you. You can find the list of IQ dealers here.

Pros & Cons: Intelliquilter uses a friction drive wheel instead of a belt system to push/pull the machine. (Both ways are very accurate.) Since IQ is on friction wheels you can simply move the machine with your body to the desired points instead of using a keybord/number pad to jog the machine 3" to the left. With IQ you just grab the handles and move it to the location you want and click in the point. You would do this when you want to move the machine to certain areas of your quilt to click in boundary lines- for instance to drop a motif into a block you'll move to each corner of the block and "click" in that location so the computer can size/rotate your motif to fit. It is nice to just visually grab the machine and move it.

I can also "trace" around an applique with my needle and declare the area I've traced to be a "no-sew" zone which prevents IQ from stitching out any patterns over my applique but it does allow me to drop in echoes, radiating lines or dense filler behind the applique with ease.

A cool feature with IQ is the ability to record the movement of your machine as a path that you can then copy/flip/paste to create your own patterns.

What I really like, though, is that IQ is not a Windows based platform or an Apple based platform. It runs on Linux and is, therefore, very clean. Plus, with IQ the tablets mounts right on the nose of your APQS machine so there is no hardrive tower/cables/monitor/keyboard. The little touch tablet that is mounted to the nose of the machine is the whole enchilada!

If you'd like to see a video tour of IQ mounted on an APQS machine click here.

I hope that helps! You can do a search on Intelliquilter on YouTube and see all the great tutorial videos out there. IQ is super easy and intuitive but it is always awesome to have lots of great free videos you can lean on as you get started with your system.

Obviously, I can prattle on about IQ at length. :) If you want more info, just U2U me or email me directly at Angela@QuiltedJoy.com

I was wrong! There ARE classes on CQ at MQS this year. Info is below.

Linda Robinson

teaching classes at MQS 2012

#422 Introduction to CompuQuilter

If you have been considering purchasing a computerized system, or if you have already purchased CompuQuilter and are interested in learning what this system offers and how to get started immediately using the system, this will be an excellent class for you. Using a video-taped DVD, I will walk through the system, stopping the DVD and talking about the capabilities during the class, or do a re-run through specific areas. When you leave the class, you will have a DVD to take with you so you can re-play it as many times as you want. This will be a tutorial on setting up motifs, corners, repeatable patterns, and boundaries. Additional features will be in a separate class.

#521 Additional Features of CompuQuilter

This class will show additional features available in CompuQuilter. Whether you are interested in purchasing a computerized system or have purchased CompuQuilter, this is a good informational class. Additional features that will be demonstrated through a video are arrays, outlines, restarting, DXF to CQ and morphing. As a class participant, you will receive the DVD at the end of the class so you can re-play many times.

Online Registration begins Dec. 1, 2011 at www.mqsshow.org. Sign up and have fun!

I have two machines with the Compuquilter on them and I had Jessica and John Schick install my new Intelliquilter on a third machine only a couple of weeks ago. I have uses for both systems and I will be taking classes at MQS in May to learn how to better utilize my machines with the CQ (Both CQ systems were purchased used therefore saving a good deal of money).

If you have the time to attend MQS in May and could take the CQ & IQ introductory classes and try to play with the systems at the show so you can compare side by side you would learn a great deal.

I have found the CQ to be a great "work horse" and use them mostly to do edge to edge work or place motifs in blocks. I figure the CQ works like an employee for me. I am still learning how to use the IQ system and it is very user friendly. I can do some things with it that I can not figure out how to do with the CQ. I have one CQ on the old standard table and one on a Blissed table.

My choice to purchase the CQ systems was money. There were no used IQ systems available a couple of years ago when I purchased my first machine. I liked the CQ so much that I jumped at the opportunity to get a second used one. Now that finances and the business have gotten better I was ready to take the plunge and get the IQ. There are a few used CQ systems out there for sale today but I doubt there are any used IQ's

Angela Huffman has been doing a great service in getting webinar classes going to help train us IQ owner's who can not make it to the major Quilt shows to take classes. Hat's off to Angela!!

The APQS machines work great with both systems--your Milli will smile with either one.

Hi Lucy,

Do either of your CQ systems have the newer hardware upgrade? I'm loving the new belt system and the VERY quick disconnect for freehand.

I use Art & Stitch to do all the creative tweaking while my machines are running. I think I've got the best of both worlds, and physically, the CQ just suits me better. I wouldn't last long using a stylus on the small tablet at any height. I find my laptop much more ergonomically friendly to my body.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Aren't we lucky to have so many choices?! :) The industry has come SO far since I started. It's like going from a Model T Ford to my Buick Enclave with heated seats! Color me HAPPY! :P

Darlene:

I have one of the CQ's with the Bliss upgrade...and YEP the new belt system is great! Love being able to push a button to disengage the track. I can't wait to learn more about the CQ at MQS in May. I have had one of the CQ's for over 18 months and still learning more about it all the time. I just wish there were more classes available such as what Angela Hoffman is doing online for Intelliquilter owners. Maybe someone will do this in the near future...

All that said...I have uses for both systems in my studio. Yes, I know, I am a spoiled brat, as a friend keeps reminding me.

Originally posted by AHuffman

Originally posted by aktbone

I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and purchase a computerized system to add to my Millie.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Which one?

Price range?

Pro & cons.

Thanks

I have the IQ as well and love it. I'm biased though, I'm an IQ dealer. :)

Here are some answers to your questions:

Which one: Neither CompuQuilter nor Intelliquilter will void your 8 year APQS warranty. That's a big deal.

Price Range: Intelliquilter is $12,500 for a self install. (APQS machines are a no-drill install). To get it installed you will need to pay dealer travel costs which vary as to how far your dealer is from you. You can find the list of IQ dealers here.

Pros & Cons: Intelliquilter uses a friction drive wheel instead of a belt system to push/pull the machine. (Both ways are very accurate.) Since IQ is on friction wheels you can simply move the machine with your body to the desired points instead of using a keybord/number pad to jog the machine 3" to the left. With IQ you just grab the handles and move it to the location you want and click in the point. You would do this when you want to move the machine to certain areas of your quilt to click in boundary lines- for instance to drop a motif into a block you'll move to each corner of the block and "click" in that location so the computer can size/rotate your motif to fit. It is nice to just visually grab the machine and move it.

I can also "trace" around an applique with my needle and declare the area I've traced to be a "no-sew" zone which prevents IQ from stitching out any patterns over my applique but it does allow me to drop in echoes, radiating lines or dense filler behind the applique with ease.

A cool feature with IQ is the ability to record the movement of your machine as a path that you can then copy/flip/paste to create your own patterns.

What I really like, though, is that IQ is not a Windows based platform or an Apple based platform. It runs on Linux and is, therefore, very clean. Plus, with IQ the tablets mounts right on the nose of your APQS machine so there is no hardrive tower/cables/monitor/keyboard. The little touch tablet that is mounted to the nose of the machine is the whole enchilada!

If you'd like to see a video tour of IQ mounted on an APQS machine click here.

I hope that helps! You can do a search on Intelliquilter on YouTube and see all the great tutorial videos out there. IQ is super easy and intuitive but it is always awesome to have lots of great free videos you can lean on as you get started with your system.

Obviously, I can prattle on about IQ at length. :) If you want more info, just U2U me or email me directly at Angela@QuiltedJoy.com

Angela,

When are you going to be holding one of your online classes again for the IQ? I receved my in October and would love to take your online class but I work outside the house during the day.

Originally posted by AHuffman

debbi,

I'm working on getting the classes recorded so you can watch in your jammies when ever you please. I'll be announcing it soon in the IQ forums here at APQS.com, on the IQ/Yahoo group and on my website.

Thanks for asking!

-Angela

How exciting!!!

Thanks Angela :P I can hardly wait.

Archived