question on removal of paper

I have done some hand applica with the freexer paper as the pattern. I have sliced a small opening in the back and now trying to pull the paper out with a pair of tweezers but it is real difficult to remove I need suggestions on a better way to get it out. Or is this the way it is suppose to be?

Yikes! See if you can scare up a hemostat with a bend in the handle. This is a tweezer-type medical instrument but available online for cheap. It has a long end that will allow you to insert it in the small hole and grab the paper at it's outside edge, rather that trying to pull the paper out a ripped piece at a time. Good luck!

(Harbor Freight has them for $4.99.)

Here's a funny for you - on my first quilt that I used freezer paper on, no one told me that I needed to remove the paper and everyone was asking me why the appliques were so "crinkly sounding"? I had to go back and lift up the appliques to remove the paper and will never leave it in again! How embarrassing!

Vicki...I did the same thing! I left the paper on my first applique project. I didn't know any better. Needless to say my wall hanging isn't hanging on the wall...LOL!

Bonnie, I think Kay's idea would work. Warm the applique then immediately pull on the paper. You could also try using a very small crochet hook and try to get between the paper and fabric to break the seal, but be careful not to damage the fabric. I feel your pain. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

You can use anything narrow to get between the paper and the fabric, then pull it out with the tweezers. "That Purple Thang" is available at most quilt shops, and works well. So will a medium sized knitting needle or the blunt end of a crochet hook. Just slip it in between and make sure you loosen the paper all the way to the edges of the shape. If you have sewn some stitches through the paper accidentally, it may still offer a little resistance, but it will pull out.

Personally, I prefer the freezer paper to stick pretty well to the applique shape....even if it takes a hair more work to ge it to turn loose.

Archived