Pantograph insight - UPDATE

For you seasoned quilters this may be a no-brainer to you, but it was true insight for me.

I will use whatever tools I can get my hands on to produce a quality quilting job, and I have found pantographs to be one of those tools. I am noticing that several of my customers love to make what I call "BIG A@@" quilts and lots of them, and bless them, they want a pantograph. I have a large assortment of pantos but I was finding that I have lots of smallish ones, and various medium-size ones, but few large ones. I finally found a large one that I absolutely love, and I was thrilled with how quickly I could get a 120" long quilt done ... but not wanting to be Repeat-Rhonda on the pantographs, I started researching larger pantographs. I called my go-to panto person, Patricia Ritter of UrbanElementz.com and she told me that any of her pantos can be resized to whatever size I needed! I had noticed that 'resize' button but never investigated it...DUH. Anyway, I have several favorite pantos and had her resize them to 13.75" or 15". Wow! What a difference! Try that FOSSIL panto in the 13.75" size and see how fast those BA quilts get done! And these aren't lots-of-space-between-stitching lines ... these are great pantos! Was I the only one in the crew who didn't know about resizing pantos???

****Before resizing a panto make sure you know how large a panto your machine can handle. I have a 2009 Millennium and I can use a 15" panto ... but I feel more comfortable with a 14" or 14.5". At 15" I feel like I'm almost hitting my space limit.

I didn't realize that, either. However, are they being resized for a computerized system, or can they be resized as a paper panto? I do not have a computerized LA.

That said, I also am looking for looser pantos that I can finish faster, and charge my customer a bit less since it wouldn't take me as long to do. One that I like is called Blossom. It goes rather quickly and looks great on quilts that can take a floral design.

I'll be watching for ideas from everyone.

OMG, I didn't know that, Sylvia! Great news. Thanks for sharing!

I recently bought the smaller version a panto called "I Spy, 1, 2, 3" by Nancy Read and ended up ordering the bigger version as well. It was much easier and faster to stitch out and I thought it looked better, too.

Sandra, do you mind sharing the name of the designer of "Blossom." I would love to see it. I find a few different pantos that have the name "blossom" in them.

It 's (resizing) a great service Patrica Ritter offers at Urban Elemantz. I've had her to make the panto smaller to fit in a border on a quilt and it even won a ribbon in our quilt show last year!!!

Thanks Patricia!!!!

Sylvia,

Thanks for bringing this up, I saw that with Anne Bright's pantos you can get the same panto in several sizes and did not think about anyone else doing this ....what a great idea! But check out Anne Bright's pantos, she offers them in several sizes too.

You can also check the copyright on your pattern (fine print on the edge) to see if the designer allows resizing. If so, you can take it to Kinkos and have it blown up larger. If you are unsure of the copyright, send the designer an email to request permission to resize the pattern. Chances are it is definitely OK to do this, but always get permission. Kinkos has the banner paper on a roll and they can print it out on a long section for you.

Thanks for this thread it's a good one. I use pantos all the time and really like a couple but it's one of those PITA ones because it takes so long and of course that's the one everyone picks go figure. I'm going to see if it has the copyright and see if I can get it enlarged. Thanks again

I had UE Feather Meander resized to 15" and I'm using it right now on one of those 120" long quilts. It is going sooooo easily!

A reminder that an enlarged panto works great on a BIG-A## quilt. Not so great on the not-so-big quilts. We don't want the panto to overwhelm the quilt itself ... just a reminder to keep things in balance.

It's great to hear that some panto designers are so helpful. I never really got into pantos and part of the reason was the very restrictive terms on them. Like ones you could only use x number of times and ones you couldn't use for business. Too much hassle. I really hope the good ones get the business to prove their decision right.

Ferret

Guest Linda S

Jessica Schick at Digi-Tech will also re-size pantos for you. Before I bought my IQ, I had a couple of my favorite pantos that were actually rather large, re-sized smaller so I could use them on baby quilts. If you look at the pantos at Digi-Tech, it will tell you what size they recommend they be stitched at, and then will tell you what size they are available in. If you don't see the size you want, just ask!

I just found out about this 'resizing' last week :) I was looking for some nice loose Patriotic designs that I could use on QOV quilts to get them done fast but look nice. That is when I found out that a Digi-Tech and Urban Elements have the option of getting designs in various sizes.... what fun, I felt like a kid in a candy shop :P

Archived