Gold thread question

Hi all. I have a quilt to do that I would like to use gold thread...something shiny I think. I have gold metallic and while I think the color is good, I have never used it before and am wondering what to use for bobbin and also if I really want to quilt a quilt with metallic thread! I am planning on doing a meandering feather/flower combination in the squares and then some detail stuff in the peacock and a small filler in the black behind the peacock. What do you think?? Too ambitious?

post--13461908749529_thumb.jpg

*wink* I love that your toenails match the quilt!:D

Gold thread would be wonderful on this one. You will need to decide on a weight of gold--BL is pretty and a bit shiny, but thin enough to blend and only add a hint of gold. Metro gold (several shades are available) will stand up to longarming, show nice and shiny, and will not be like a "metal" metallic gold thread. It washes like regular thread and doesn't break at all.

Wow! I love this top! As you said, outline the peacock and detail with your chosen gold thread and then quilt down all the black with black thread. It will be stunning!

Jeanne, I know the corners are all wrong. She tried to miter them and they are just not right. I told her I would try to fix them....and I am not good with miters either...lol...but figure I can make them better than they are. Thanks for advice!

I have three quilts to do before this one but I am excited to get started on it too!! Some projects are just more fun than others and I never make as much per hour on them but....lol....still find them fun. Have to get the thread ordered too and not sure where to buy it.

I wouldn't use "metallic" thread on a bed quilt, lap quilt, etc. Metallic threads are ... well... made of metal and are hard and could poke you. The only time I use metallic is on wallhangings, or maybe table runners... But for quilts that will be laid on, slept under, etc.... I use a high sheen polyester gold tone thread. It's soft, and looks spectacular on quilts like the oriental design you are showing in the photo. Superior makes high sheen poly thread (name is Highlights) in various colors. I've also used Madeira Polyneon with success. Metro and Glide and other brands are out there, too.

Archived