FlowerFairyPanelQuiltPhotos

The quilt is for the customer's three-year old granddaughter, who is about to have a baby brother. This will be a quilt for her bed.

Although I did overall feathering, I tried to use the placement of the feathers so that they did not mask the boy and girl on the panel, but accentuated their shapes.

post--13461908758865_thumb.jpg

I tried to 'quilt smart' on this one, by not using all stitch-in-the-ditch. This concept worked well for the log cabin blocks, giving a lot of texture, with Quilters Dream Puff batting.

The border also went fairly quickly. Even though I used Superior Threads, Brytes 30 wt. orange, and echoed the feathers, they still did not show up real well. Some fabrics you just can't get the quilting to show well.

When it came to the crosshatch, my plan of easy quilting failed. I should have marked with chalk and done wavey crosshatch. Instead I alternated between Dawn Cavanaugh's crosshatch ruler and the Quiltazoid. I like the stability that Dawn's ruler gives, because it is big and long and well-marked, but I struggled with glare on the ruler from my Millie's laser light. I tried turning it off and turning it to blue, but those options had even less visibility. I'm sure it is easier to see the previously stitched lines on light fabric with dark thread, but I was doing dark teal fabric with orange thread. It would have been easier to have chalked the lines, so that I would not have to look thru the ruler to line it up with the previously stitched lines. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

The Quiltazoid is physically easier to use for crosshatch, but takes longer, and I don't enjoy counting the number of spaces to skip on the template for 1" crosshatch.

post--13461908759212_thumb.jpg

I enjoyed the threads and colors in the quilt. For the center panel, I used the 'old' Rainbows #832 'Rose Garden'. This was perfect, as it has both green and pink. #832 has since been transformed to the 'new' Rose Garden, which is the tone-on-tone pink/purple you see in the photo; this was used for the flower in the centers of the log cabin blocks. The crosshatch was done with King Tut #927 'De Nile' (blue teal), which I chose so that the color would not mask the pretty pink flowers in the print. I already mentioned the use the orange Brytes on the border. Last, I used two Rainbows on the log cabins, which worked perfectly as far as giving a delicate look -- #857 Turning Leaves and #808 Opal.

Thanks for looking!

post--13461908759553_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by delld

Great job! Love everything you did.

Have you tried using painter's tape 1" on your QZ to mark the lines for you?

I have been using the 1" painters tape, a tip I picked up from this Forum, but only a small piece. Next time, I'll tape up the entire board with what I don't need -- thanks for jogging my thoughts.

Thank you everyone for your comments -- sure helps to have someone to share with. :)

Archived