McTavishing for Beginners???

gable428

Hi Gable,

You will never know if you don?t just "Do it'!;)

Get the Art of McTavishing book & play the CD & just have fun with it, practicing on some muslin. You will be fine.

One thing I know for sure is that everyone has their own signature style of McTavishing, mine look like swirly crescent shells. Karen says her's looks like cartoon hair!:P

What ever you come up with it will be your own, that is what I love about the design.

You can do it!

P.S. Big hint, don?t get hung up about crossing over until you get your rhythm down, just let it flow.

I bought Karen's book (actually 2 books) and watched the DVD. They are a great help. I have done several lap size quilts using Karen's method, but with my twist. I used it around stencils instead of small meandering or stippling. It is lots of fun. I also like doing what Ricky Tims (from his DVD) referred to as Ricky Doodles (I hope I quoted him correctly). I think you can take their ideas and have fun with them and create your own "Gabledoodles." :)

Hi Gable,

You are going to LOVE doing your own McTavishing. Once you try it you'll see how fun it is and you'll want to use it all the time.

There is a McTavishing panto you can buy. It might help you get the feel of it. But once you do, I'm sure you'll be able to go ahead with adapting the technique, making it bigger and smaller, and using it in all kinds of different ways.

Have fun! ~~ Eva

I took Karen's class at the Houston show in November (Karen, if you are here, we were NEVER bored, it was a great class!), then went straight downstairs and bought her book w/dvd. I use both in my PPP and am getting better all the time. And I'm more than a beginner, I'm still a wanna-be!

I think Linda is right....I have tried it and because it didn't turn out just like Karen's I thought it was wrong - so I don't do it at all...but the plan is to PPP some more - that Karen's class at MQS (I already have the book) and never, never, ever, give up!! Just have fun.

I practiced McTavishing on a practice piece one weekend and before I knew it, I found myself developing my own style rather quickly, so no matter how I tried to mimic anyone else's, I just kept naturally going back to my own. I have since done some McTavishing on about 3 quilts and also just completed a sample 60 x 60 wholecloth with trapunto feathers and filled in all around the feathers with "McSharoning!" I must say, it looks stunning...so much so that I've upgraded to a twin size and ultimately up to a king. It's ohhh so much fun!:)

Good luck!

I went to the APQS showroom 4 months after getting my Millinium and did Karen McTavish's 2 classes--the heirloom quilting class and then the wholecloth class ---and then was one of only 2 ladies (there were 6 in the wholecloth class) that finished the wholecloth and exhibited it in the Duluth show last summer.

YES you can do McTavishing....its mega easy and Karen is a GREAT teacher. While at the Duluth show I had one teacher (and unfortunately was signed up for 2 classes with the same lady) that was not a good teacher--makes a big difference.

Have since used "McTavishing" (or as its known in my house "Mincklerizing") on a number of quilts and have won local awards for my quilting.

Go for it!

The whole McTavishing got started when I felt like stippling was getting boring for judges. Customers LOVE it because it creates movement in the quilt and shows your passion for quilting.

Mostly - the mainstream longarm competition will choose stippling over McTavishing because McTavishing is labor intense..... stippling is now considered "so 5 years ago". :cool:

I think if a background needs to be quilted, you should go with anything other than stippling. Judges want to see your own style of quilting now --like your fingerprint- your artistic spin on quilting comes out with what you come up with. Its all you in the end. And it will be original.....that's the name of the game when ribbons are awarded. They will go "HEY! I have never seen that before!"....wham, ribbon.:D

In terms of current trends, micro stippling in bright high contrasting threads is coming into competition now. I wish I had courage to do that, but I don't. I would rather see background fillers compliment the piecing - texturizing the fabrics rather than screaming "hey man, look at me - I am bright orange stippling baby."

My website has links to a stencil of McTavishing - if you would rather 'draw' it out first - but freehand McTavishing is fastest.

I used to say "just add "ING" to your last name and its your own style of quilting"....That was until I met Norm Riehm from Hayward, Wisc......her last name is pronounced "Ream".

This is just as brutal as "McButchering". :o

I got the two McTavish books from my guild library and watched the DVSs several times. Then I got paper and pencil......................my best friends when I want to figure out a new quilting design. I covered more paper than you can imagine in the next couple of weeks. By the time I tried it on a quilt the lines could be done in my sleep.

Like everyone else here has already said including Karen it to do it your way and make it your own!

I think Karen has done a wonderful thing to make today's quilts pop with her beautiful flowing "fill" to me it has a wonderful organic look and just adds so much movement and fun to so many quilt designs!

well, I guess I need to change my last name so I can be "ing" too.:P You are all the greatest. My boss thought I was actually working until he heard me belly laugh.

I had the privilege of taking a class with Karen at (name removed)'s. What a wonderful experience and both of these wonderful ladies are so down to earth and just plain people. Just like everyone else on this forum. We are all so blessed to have such wonderful teachers and others to encourage us as some of us trudge the path of learning. Can hardly wait until I get my wings and can fly.

Since we are on naming our quilting designs I just wanted to interject that putting Mc in front or our name or -ing behind are not the only options. I was watching a DVD by Ricky Timms and he called his fill "Ricky Doodles" so I could call my fill designs "Ami Doodles" sounds better than McKrenzeling....................

Just food for thought.

Okay everyone. I received the book in the mail and have been practicing on paper and I have to tell you that my McTavishing looks pathetic :( I can't quite get the flow going. I guess it's gonna take a little while to get it right on paper before I attempt the technique on a practice piece of muslin. I'm not about to give up though :)

Gable

Archived