I am out of the loop on the machines on the market or their cost, but I would recommend a purchase at a reliable sewing store. This would typically give you (DIL in this case) lessons on how to use the machine. Not sewing lessons, but machine instruction. It should include one year of free (in shop) service and might also include a free service at the one year anniversary. If a machine is purchased at a big box store (such as Walmart or Joann's) then you probably have to ship the machine to be serviced. I might be wrong, but this is how I think it would work.

How fun for you, to teach your DIL to sew! And then maybe quilt!

Guest Linda S

Sylvia - that's so exciting! I love bringing quilters into the fold. A few months ago, I bought a Janome DC2012 -- it's their basic computerized machine -- for taking on retreats because it is fairly lightweight (less than 15 pounds). Most places have it for $499. It has 50 stitches, including 3 button holes, needle up and needle down, and is a fairly nice machine. I noticed that SewVac Direct has it on special with free shipping and some extra accessories, along with a 5 year extended warranty. I got my embroidery machine from them and they were wonderful.

The Janome/New Home is a great machine! My little machine is about 27 years old and has never given me a problem. I bought a little Janome for my daughter last year and it's a great little machine. Not sure of the Model number but it is the one they sell to use in schools.

I bought a Janome DC1050 earlier this year and it is a dandy little machine. I bought it to take to our sewing days. It is lightweight, but doesn't "walk" all over the table either. More than enough stitches, buttonhole, needle up/down. I paid $350.00 for it on a sale at my Janome dealer. It has free cleaning/tuneup the first year. If I didn't have my 6600 to use at home, I would be very happy with just this machine. Great for a beginner. My Janome feet for the 6600 also fit this little machine. Same bobbins, etc. too.

I bought my DIL a phaff for around 350 and it has been a really good machine for her to learn on. I also got a Juki this year and I have to say I love it. It is a higher end machine but I'll bet they have one in your price range. Mine was about 900. Juki HZL-F600 Exceed Series I ordered my machine online and they have been wonderful to work with. My 1st machine had a problem that likely was caused by shipping but they paid for return shipping and replaced it no quesitons asked. I just did a quick search and they ahve a ton of machine in your price range. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/domestic-sewing-machines.php

What does she want to sew? Quilting? garments? home dec?

Because what she wants to sew may influence that decision, too. Also, support for the machine, lessons on care and maint. etc, as previously mentioned, are important.

I'm really fond of old, metal mechanical machines for newbies. They're really indestructible, and with a few basic stitches, they can do about anything. They're usually not terribly expensive, either. The older machines can usually handle heavier fabrics, like jeans and home dec fabric. I'd rather have an older, better quality machine than a new, plastic one, but, that's me.

If she gets lured to the dark side and LOVES to sew, upgrading can happen at a later date, and if she detests it, chucks it in a closet and never wants to see a needle again, then you're not out a bundle.

s

Sylvia: What type sewing is she planning to do. If it's quilt piecing, I'd get her a Singer featherweight. If it's dress making I'd look for a high end used Bernina, Pfaff, Elna of Viking. If it has to be a new machine, it would probably be a Janome. The Janomes seem to offer the best value for your money in the market. (I think a lot of the other name machines in the low end are made by Janome). Jim

Wow! This is a lot to think about. I bought my 80 year old mother a new machine a couple of years ago and went with a Brother that was a LE and she loves it. This time things are different. I knew my mother liked to mend and quilt. My DIL doesn't sew at all so she doesn't know what she wants to do. She says she wants to mend. But a really inexpensive new machine won't plow through those thick seams on blue jeans. An older model metal machine sounds really good. That way I can keep it oiled and cleaned for her until she decides what she wants to do. I think that is the way I will go. Now on to do some research and to order some Kai scissors, thread, pins and such. I love a quilty (or sewy Christmas)!

Sylvia

that sounds like a good idea. I bought my daughter an older metal machine and it is still working great, she doesnt sew too much but whenever I visit I do some maintenance on it and get her going again as she usually forgets how to thread it or wind the bobbin, I usually get a call saying the machine doesn't work again Mom!! It has always been operator error, but gives me an excuse to spend some sewing time on projects with her. and we usually make something for little Fallon.

Archived