If you ever are asked to make a T-shirt quilt for someone and you don't have the time or interest, I'll do it. I have probably made 40 and they all look different. I have never had a frown; in fact, I have had lots of happy tears. I charge $450 start to finish (plus shipping, of course). That is if they don't want something that cost me more in time or money. Pleaseeeeee send them my way. I was sick last year and declined so much work. I need the business now that I feel better (well, as long as I don't eat, teehee). Use my email address - just close up the spaces.

sylve bliss @ comcast . net

Sylvia, my baby sister asked me right after Thanksgiving if I could, or if I knew someone who could, make T-Shirt quilts for her kids, now grown, who have drawers full of memorable T-shirts. I really didn't want to turn her down, even though she was hinting Christmas presents!! I just can't fit it in anytime soon. Her name is Cindy, she lives in Texas, and I am going to send her your email address if that's okay with you.

Sylvia, what kinds of fabric do you use as sashing in between the t-shirt blocks? I am working on one and am so stumped! It's why I referred my sister to you. I have the t-shirt fabrics stabilized but don't know what to do next, because they are all different sizes.

Hi Cathy!

You can make all-different size T-shirt blocks fit by bordering them with the appropriate width of strips to make them all the same size. Use different colors/prints for the strips to make it scrappy, or choose a "neutral" like black, red, or brown--even a mottled batik--to unify the blocks. If you choose scrappy, mix up the widths (like to make an 8" block into a 12" block--add three inches on one side and one inch on the other) to add interest and give you more options when arranging. If you have an 11" block and need to make it 12"--just add an inch of fabric on one side instead of trying to add fabric on both sides.

Linda, that sounds good, I was thinking along the lines of scrappy batiks, but one multicolored one may work better. I was also wondering if flannel would be better, but wouldn't that be so heavy?

I like your suggestion to mix up the strip sizes too. I planned on strips or maybe squares to equalize the shapes.

I do like Linda says. I love the scrappy look so it is a good stash buster project if you are doing one for yourself. The "theme" fabric is lots quicker and also works great. Of course, it is easier to make your T-shirts all the same size if you can but you can make almost anything work. I have seen a few T-shirt quilts I didn't like because the maker used a really bright stripping color and it distracted from the T-shirts. I think the shirts have to be the focus of the quilt when completed! You will do great and please do post pictures. I am printing 100s of more business cards today to place around to kick off a new healthier year.

Remember to post pictures now!!!!

Archived