Meet some new friends

Hi all quilters in the vicinity of Portland, Oregon. I'm suggesting that anyone who wants to get together and share thoughts, ideas, start some new friendships, gather together. Sound interesting to anyone else? If so, when you respond to this post, put some time suggestions. Evenings and Sundays work best for me. I'm more than willing to hostess this event, either at my home, or at the LQS where I get to play. You really can't call it "work". I look forward to hearing from and meeting any and all of you.

Beth

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Beth!

Yes, I'd be interested in meeting folks from this website here. I live in Tualatin. Daytimes are best for me, though, especially if I have to drive ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE RIVER! :D Or downtown...... :P Sunday afternoons would be fun.

Come on, Portlandians! Let's do it!

(What's LQS...?)

Well, just let me know the day and time. Also is this a once a week event, once a month, or what? My DH works really hard and long hours so he sometimes wants me home when he is so my schedule revolves around hims somewhat. Sunday afternoon would work but so would evenings or afternoons

I went to the FAQ section to see how to post a pic of me to go with my user name. It says to use a small pic (like I have on AIM). But when I go to edit my profile it wants a url for the Avatar. I know there must be an easy way to do this, and I am not a computer dummy, but this is confusing. I have iPhoto, which stores my thousands of photos. I don't have a website with a pic on it, which is what a url would indicate. Am I having a senior moment here?:P

Nineva, I'm with you. Sometimes these things are just too complicated. I"m sure someone will be able to answer your questions on this website. Isn't there a link to ask tech questions? Thought I saw one somewhere around here.....

Yay, let's get together folks. More and more! Sunday afternoon would be grrrreat for me, but probably once or twice a month, or maybe just come as we can weekly? I"m beginning to think it would be for me like you say, nineva, first do church church then do quilt church. :D

HA Bonnie! Duh...... "Local Quilt Shop", of course! We could do that so no one feels put upon. Or we could volunteer as the quilting spirit leads us if we want to open our homes. I'd be for it, but don't have any quilting equipment except my little 5 yr. ol' Bernina 153, so better off at the LQS.

Hi Gals, I'd LOVE to come up for a visit next time I'm headed over the Mountain and through the woods, to Grandma's house of course. Can you email a phone # and I'll give you a call when the roads clear.

We now have four LA quilters in our little town. Two are on new A-1 machines and the other a Gammill. You'd still welcome them if they'd like to join us, wouldn't you? ;) They're silly, but nice, really.

Thanks for the invite. ~~ Eva H.

CucumberQuilting@aol.com

Hi all,

Here's my thought. Let's plan on getting as many of us together on the 11th of Feb. at 2pm, probably for an hour or so, but who knows how long. The location to be determined as soon as I get permission from my friend and owner of the quilt shop. That would be my suggestion, at least for the first time. That way no one has to stress about cleaning house for all these strangers. Also, I have an ulterior motive. There's a new french bistro across the street from the shop, we could dash over there for something to eat, then bring it back to the shop to visit and snack. If that doesn't work out, I'm happy to be hostess, but warn you that I have 2 dogs and a cat. I'm thinking that this will be pretty informa, and not something that's "scheduled". Sundays are the only day I rarely have anyplace else to go, and it's glorious to stay home and quilt. So, an occasional meeting for any and all who can attend?

Feel free to e-mail me at btdurand@coho.net, or phone 503-251-2769 ifyou have questions, not that I'll have answers!

Beth

OK, ;) I've been sitting quietly, reading these posts, and politely biting my tongue... ;) But you all insist on going on and on about this and now you all are making me want to jump on a plane right now and FLY down there so I can hang with you all.

Truthfully, though... I actually did go down and visit (name removed) in Corvallis this past October. She's worth the drive down if you get a chance to visit Linda. Plus, she's a sweetie, and a cutie, and she's so nice and fun (and she bakes these really yummy cookie bars that have white chocolate and cranberries inside. (That alone is worth the drive down to visit Linda in Corvallis!).

Shana (who fondly remembers the white chocolate & cranberry cookie bars and the fun she had hanging out and quilting in Corvallis with Linda Lou!) :D

Hey Cuke! (AKA Eva H.) I looooooooooooooooooove your Bloomin' Nine Patch! Beeeeeautiful!

Hi Melody. Love your name. What I do when I'm not quilting. :D

It would be fun to find out just about where we all live. You can see mine at the bottom of this. Unless you'd rather not, which is sort of understandable in this day and age.....

Shana, I have a niece who recently married a soldier who will soon be stationed in Alaska (can't remember where the base is). I imagine she will be feeling like you in a while, as she is a warm-blooded little thing and will probably be tired of the cold soon! I'll tell her to get on this website and "talk" to you if she's cold, because your talk can warm an ice cube, it's so fun! I do wish you could be with us down here. Maybe we'll meet at Linda's sometime....

Ok, Beth, I'll give you a type on your email and let's set it all up. Feb. 11 looks good to me. I like the shop idea, as I am not a dog person (unless they're more like cats, ha!) But it's very sweet of you to open your home to us like that. Everybody here is so nice and welcoming... :)

Hi all, this includes you Shana!

We have a plan! Wendy, the shop owner, has graciously allowed us to gather there. So, it's Feb. 11 at 2pm at Heart to Hand quilt shop. 4823 SE Division, Portland, OR Website is www.hearttohandonline.com for further info. I'm so excited to meet everyone! Remember to save room for goodies from the bistro across the street.

Beth

Oh you girls are making me green with envy here!!!! Sounds like your going to be having a lot of fun getting together.

I live in LaPine, south of Bend, and we have a central Oregon longarm group that gets together. We have lots of fun too.

Who knows maybe a bunch of us will motor over your way and join in all the fun...!!! :D:D

Hi Linda in LaPine,

Betty Ann wants to go. I haven't talked to anyone else yet. Barb will be gone to Vancouver then. If the roads are decent we could make a day of it. I'd like to encourage them to start getting together the way we have been and maybe even having a challenge project like ours.

Let's talk about it when we meet in Crooked River on the 8th.

Love ya, Eva

PS: Bring us some cool stuff to look at!!! Books if you have any.

I'm jealous too!! Seems like allot of you that have long arm quilters and have post on here are from Oregon! I don't have one, but thinking about it. I would LOVE finding out more about them and meeting new friends, but Ohio's just a bit far to drive from!!:P Hope you guys have fun! linda

Hi Chuckster and Lindasewsit,

First, to Chuckster, if you can stand all the estrogen, I'm sure we can more than tolerate you. We've got one or two men who come to the shop, and they are always more than welcome. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to run into another guy there as well. By the way, sorry to take so long to reply, I was supposed to be "working" at the "real job" today, so no time to read the latests posts.

Lindasewsit, since both states start with the letter "O", isn't that close enough? I means Shana's talking about coming down from Alaska after all. Okay, so geography has never been my strong suit, I do better with my attempts at humor.

So, in case there are any questions, and as the "official hostess", I have decided that all are welcome whether you have a long arm or not, whether you have an APQS or some other machine, or if you're not even a quilter you are welcome. (We'll convert you soon enough). I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone, I'll put the coffee on.

Beth

Sewsit, I think that's because there's nothing else to do here all winter! Wait till spring, then you'll see less of us because we're out boating the Tualatin or adding to the zillions at Multnomah Falls. :D

Chuck, I say bring 'em on! Ditto what Beth said.

Beth, whew! I'm so glad you put that in about whether you have a long arm or not! LOL!! I didn't even think about it, silly me. I just assumed wannabe status would get me in. Thanks for making sure we all know we're welcome. :)

See you all on the 11th, even if I DO have drive ALL the way across the river, HA!!

Pssst! BTW, Beth, didn't you know? This IS your real job! :D

Guest Linda S

Hey! Can I come up from Eugene? I'll check my calendar and see if I am available then. Actually, I should stay home and clean my house, but what fun is that?

Shana - you were an hour from me in Oregon and you didn't tell me?? :o I wish I had known you were going to be there, I would have loved to meet you.

Linda

Linda S:

I know... I was only down in Salem/Corvallis area for four days -- the weekend was consumed by visiting with three of my four sisters, and their kids. What fun that was! Then two days (Mon/Tues) I drove down to (name removed)'s place to take an intro class on Mon. and then on Tues, I quilted a top on the Milli that I brought down from AK. The weather was GORGEOUS in Oregon the entire trip, then I headed down to the show in Houston. Fun for me!

In all honesty, I did think about you while I was there for my brief visit. But, I will most definitely be in your neck of the woods again some day and I'll be sure to look you up. In fact, I have plans (some day, probably not this year, maybe next July?) to do the "Sistas in Sisters" in July (two of my sisters will be with me so we can do the "sista thang") and I've always wanted to go to the Sisters show. Some day! ;)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hi Beth and to all the rest as well - I would love to join you if there is room for 1 more. I've not been online for a few days and when I finially got on her - WALA - a party is is being planned. As far as I know I can be there. Thanks Beth for getting the ball rolling.

Linda S - I've sent you a U2U.

Archived