How tight do you have quilt top?

I was told when I first started quilting, to have my quilt top loose enough that when you stick your finger underneath the backing and poke upward, you will be able to grab the tips of your finger. So I have been quilting with a loose top. When Linda S. was here, she said she makes her tops really tight if I have an IQ. So, what is everyone else doing? Any tips on how tight you should have your quilt top on your machine?

I keep my quilt sandwich tighter when doing computerized work. My IQ moves the machine at a steady pace so needle flex isn't as big a deal as it is when I'm doing freehand work. I loosen my sandwich up when doing freehand work. You should be able to see the machine moving under the quilt when doing freehand work. It typically surprises people at how loose our machines like to run in freehand mode. When I flip over to computerized mode I tighten' her up.

I find this interesting, something that I had wondered about as well. Some like it tight, some like it loose..personal preference I think.

When I went to Barb's Longarm Retreat I was surprised at how loose the samples were to practice on. I asked about that as I had always made mine pretty tight. I was told that lots of people like the quilts to be very loose. When I went home I tried it that way and my way...found out that with different thread types I get better stitch with loose or tight. I am making my quilts looser than I had in the past but not so loose that it is 'sloppy' on the frame.

Archived