not so round swirls

i have purchased a new to me millenium.   swirls arent round this is not the first machine for me. the first was smaler and non stitch regulated straight lines are great box shapes are great but swirls want to be as well ( had no problem with the old machine) is this still me or is there a problem with  machine wheel? and ideas are appreciated thanks in advance 

You may need to make some wheel adjustments to get them to feel right for you.  I would suggest you practice doing circles as fast as you can in one direction, round and round and round until you start hitting them dead on.  Then go in the opposite direction.  This will give you the feel of this machine.  If after that you are still having trouble try loosening up your wheels a little bit.  

Do you have M&M wheels on the table as well as the carriage? I had a bad batch of M&M wheels and so did Oma; a manufacturing glitch and they were replaced by APQS. I believe all these had a yellow center. My new wheels are wonderful; I couldn't believe how hard I was working before! They just gradually got worse so it was hard to notice.

I wasn't able to make circles at all with the other M&M wheels. No way...no how. The machine just felt like it was fighting the heck out of me. And like Lisa said...it just kept getting worse. I haven't quilted anything since early last year because of that and I got sick. After the new wheels I made a really good circle right off the bat and I looked up at my husband and said "See...it wasn't me". Poor husband had tried to adjust the other ones so many times that I think he was beginning to think I was crazy. Now I just need to practice until I get them down easy again.

I took off the Bobbin Cam to "lighten" the load on the machine because Dave thought it might be enough extra weight to make a difference, but it was doing the same thing before the Bobbin Cam. I do prefer my "sleek" Liberty over having a monitor and other stuff connected to it. I didn't use it anyway.

PPP!  Just need to get control of the machine.  It won't take long as you have done this already with another machine.  Before I upgraded to the bliss, I had my wheels adjusted tighter.  This moves the rail to the center of the wheel for one point contact which makes the machine very free moving.  Some people adjust them a little looser where the rail rides a little more on the top of the inner surface of the wheel.  This causes more drag and they feel they have more control.  Personally, I like them really free moving.  It's a little more to get used to, but in the long run, easier to move the machine exactly where you want it.  You can see how to adjust the wheels in the manual.  It's a very easy adjustment.

WOW I have just read your response to this and the M n M wheels getting worse

I have had this problem for quiet a long time

My poor husband has also adjusted the wheels heaps also the table and the bars trying to sort the problem out

Just read about the yellow centre in the wheels so went straight up to the Studio and low and behold my wheels also have a yellow centre, I so hope that they are faulty as it would finally explain everything and my husband won't think I am going insane.

I have contacted APQS so I am awaiting a reply.

Marlene

REDGATE QUILTING

AUSTRALIA

Marlene, I am making circles with my new M&M wheels and writing my name, which begins with a big "O".  I'm just so relieved about them.  APQS sent me a new set and a return box with postage paid to return the old ones.  I can't tell you how fast they went out of here. 

I got my m&m wheels last summer and they do not have colored centers, they are all black. From what I have read on this forum, the older wheels with yellow center are the ones people seem to be having trouble with, but it seems that APQS is replacing them for no charge, I may be wrong. If I had the yellow wheels I'd be calling them! I have enough trouble with circles all on my own. Lol

Hi

Everyone

The yellow centred ones are the non oiled bearings which are rusting

The supplier to APQS were supposed to supply them with oiled bearings

I am so glad that I have finally found out what my problem is

This forum is worth it's weight in gold

Thankyou ladies

Marlene

Thanks everyone - I contacted APQS and they will be replacing my wheels!   I couldn't understand why I felt I was fighting a bulldozer and did try the usual adjustments.  I love this forum.  I would never have thought about it being the wheels causing the problem as I've been keeping them clean...   

For the person who initiated this thread - you should consider replacing the wheels if you don't already have MnM's or even Edgeriders...

• 2 weeks later...

PPP!  Just need to get control of the machine.  It won't take long as you have done this already with another machine.  Before I upgraded to the bliss, I had my wheels adjusted tighter.  This moves the rail to the center of the wheel for one point contact which makes the machine very free moving.  Some people adjust them a little looser where the rail rides a little more on the top of the inner surface of the wheel.  This causes more drag and they feel they have more control.  Personally, I like them really free moving.  It's a little more to get used to, but in the long run, easier to move the machine exactly where you want it.  You can see how to adjust the wheels in the manual.  It's a very easy adjustment.

Thanks for this tip, I did not know that.....:)

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to jump in here and let you know "from the horse's mouth" the real scoop with yellow bearing M & M wheels so we can dispel some confusion. This topic pops up from time to time so occasionally the story gets a little convoluted as information is passed around and rehashed again.

Please note that just because your wheel happens to have a yellow bearing does NOT mean that it is defective. Nearly all of the yellow bearing wheels were manufactured correctly and are properly impregnated with oil. If you are not experiencing any rapid deterioration in your wheel's performance and are not feeling/hearing grinding in the bearing, then your wheels are working properly.

Those wheels will be like any other current M & M wheel and will have a normal, full life on your machine. (Naturally, keep in mind that even the best car tire eventually wears out from use, and as wonderful as they are, even your M & M wheels will reach a point where they will someday need replacement depending on the machine's use. The good news is that the new technology incorporated into these wheels has greatly extended the lifespan of the wheels compared to wheels that came with early machines like mine. :))

Our M&M wheels have been in production since June of 2010 with literally hundreds and hundreds of sets going out to customers; most of them during the first several months of production had yellow bearings. During that time, APQS received one single "batch" of bearings from our supplier that was incorrect. Unbeknownst to us, the supplier sent one package of bearings with no oil inside them when they should have been sealed with lubricant inside. This happened only to a single "run" of wheels from that supplier--not all wheels. Unfortunately we did not know this was the case until we had shipped out several sets and encountered the problem surfaced. Since bearings don't have "run numbers" or any other distinguishing marks to identify them, it was impossible to trace which handful of customers may have received a wheel with a bad bearing from that particular batch.

When we discovered the problem with that single batch, the only way to identify the wheel "in the field" was by its color....it would be bright "bumblebee yellow". Of course, since the majority of "bumblebee yellow" bearings are normal and the problem existed with one small batch, then the next clue as whether a wheel came from that batch was its quick deterioration in terms of ease of movement and "feel". Since there was no oil in those particular bearings, the bearing's interior quickly deteriorated and rust would form inside the bearing. When that happened the rust particles broke loose and would float around inside the bearing, clogging up the bearing balls and making the wheel feel like sand was inside it as it turned. That would make that particular wheel difficult to move or spin and you may hear a grinding noise when it rotates.

So that we could avoid any possible further confusion about "good or bad" yellow bearings, APQS switched from the yellow bearings altogether many months ago, cognizant that nearly all of the yellow-bearing wheels in the field were actually properly manufactured and would provide years of good service. We do not sell any M & M wheels from the factory any longer with yellow bearings to keep this straight. If you purchased your wheels from anyone other than the APQS factory and the bearings are bumblebee yellow (it's important to have a picture in your mind of a bright yellow color...since some bearings may have an amber, golden-yellow appearance--those are not the ones) then it's theoretically possible that a wheel in that set is from the defective batch. 

It would be easy to tell if a wheel was defective, especially if the set has been sitting on a shelf for a while exposed to air (which would increase the rusting factor on the wheel bearing). If you grasp the wheel above and below on the bearing itself and spin the wheel, the wheel should rotate freely. If you hear or feel a "gravelly" sound like the wheel is running over sand, then that wheel needs replacement. If the wheel is on your machine or table, listen carefully as you move the machine to make the wheel rotate. You may also be able to lift the machine or carriage slightly to take the weight off the wheel, and then spin the wheel and listen/feel for the same effect.

Nearly all quilting machines with yellow bearing wheels are working properly. But if you discover that one or more of your "bumblebee yellow" wheels does grind when you spin it, and your machine movement has rapidly deteriorated, by all means call us. We will work with you regarding replacement of any defective wheels.

Please let me know if you have questions or need more clarification. :)

Archived