Mat under your machine?

I am the proud new owner of an Ultimate XX (thanks Carol!) and it is in a place in my house that has carpeting. I was thinking with the oiling and the WD-40 cleanings that my carpet underneath the machine might get ruined so I was looking into something to either cover the carpet or cover the bobbin area of the machine. Has anyone done this and what did you use? I thought about those interlocking foam floor tiles, but I'm not sure that they will stay together on top of my carpet. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!! Denise in Georgia :)

There used to be some plastic runner stuff, clear with little grippy spikes on the back.  It was used for protecting carpet on stairs.  That would work and not look too terrible. I haven't looked for it in a long time, but used to use it to protect carpet in slushy weather from muddy dog feet in the entry-way.  Otherwise, how about just a runner type throw rug?  If you are already standing on carpet, the puzzle mats aren't necessary, so just put the rug under the machine where you aren't going to be standing..just to catch drips.

I have a plastic 3 drawer storage chest under my table on either end near the legs.  I park my machine over them.  When I first run the warmup, cleaning and oiling any drips land on a draped piece of cut up tshirt material I've laid on the top of the storage chest.  When I'm done I just put in on one of the cross bars on the end and it's my cleaning rag. I, too, have my machine on carpet, and I've not had any issues so far.  Hope you find the best solution for you!

Hi necie..

Whatever you decide, don't spend a lot on it.

You'll likely wind up using that space for storage anyway.

Which covers the carpet for free!

But I do recommend putting sliders under the legs so you can move it easily.

Linnea, talk about reading topics wrong. There was one that was just "St George" and I thought it was going to be about someone loving their George machine so much that they referred to it as Saint George. In my defense I'm from the east and not familiar with the place by that name.

Himself Uses an Old Handtowel, or Tshirt, or other depleted cloth to drape over the

bobbin area, and over the sides of a foil pie tin while he holds the pie tin up stitching

away.  

He has very little clean up to do, and it's quick to get out of the house so I can breathe.

He also uses the same tin time after time.

LOL, somehow it seems our towels, bedding etc are just like we are, Old and nearly

worn to a frazzle.  ;o))

Archived