Thread Cutter Weight?

I've read where some of you have removed your thread cutter from your long arm.   Does it really make a big difference as far as weight?   I never use mine and it seems to be just another place to collect lint.   Considering taking it off, but then I will have to have a new extention table!    Before I invest in that, I was just wondering if it made that much difference.   I have a Millenium.

I think dawn has posted the weight of the thread cutter on the forum.

I just don't remember where.

When I was researching freedom vs Millie, I looked at this.

There were mixed reviews.

Some said they felt a big difference when the thread cutter was removed.

Others said they couldn't tell.

I think I even read that you don't need to change out some extended bases, too.

I know the Hartley base is not interchangeable.

Personally, I would rather that the thread cutter was an optional extra...

I just removed mine from New Milli as I wanted to reuse my original Ruler Mate from Old Milli from which I also removed the thread cutter. I never use it and reckon it weighs at least 3+lbs. 

I now have a Bliss track which will be much smoother than before but I do a LOT of tiny free motion stuff so want the machine to be as light as poss!

This is MY non-official guide to taking it off if you are interested - NB - All of these steps are easily REVERSIBLE and not at all permanent!

Unscrew needle plate and don't lose the washers

Take plastic caps off side of thread cutter to insert long phillips screwdriver to undo the screws that hold on the thread cutter box; one screw at bottom front was blocked by the cutter arm so I had to loosen the bolt there to get it out of the way

Take off square plastic cover at end of thread cutter and carefully unplug the two electrical connections. I have tied these neatly to the side of the machine with ribbon.

I have bagged up and labelled all of the stuff that I took off so it can always go back on one day ;)

I have the Hartley base.  So, that is a consideration.   Not sure I want to or need to remove the thread cutter to warrant $120 for a new base !   If I knew it really made a difference in the weight, I would give it a try.   I use my base all the time, don't want to be without it just to try without the thread cutter≥   

Linda:  I can't imagine that as little as the thread cutter weighs, and as freely as these machines move, that removing it would make any real difference in how easily it moves.  I've added channel locks, counter balance weights and a bobbin cam to my Ult2 with Edgerider wheels, and I never noticed and difference in how much effort it took to move her.  The weight of the power cord is more than enough to move Zelda around, and it couldn't weigh more than a pound.  BTW if anyone has a good way to relieve the power cord movement of the machine, I'd appreciate hearing about it.  Jim

Jim,

I don't know all the technical names for these parts, but one is like a track thingy and the other is like an electric power box with a wheel so it rolls in the track. The power cord from the machine plugs into the box on the track. Another plug runs from the track down to the electrical outlet on the wall.  I hope that makes sense. I will ask Steve for a better description when he gets up for work. Here are a couple pictures. (Yes, that's the Ultimate II plugged in there)

post-1022-0-82074200-1368660276_thumb.jpg

post-1022-0-69851800-1368660291_thumb.jpg

Just to be sure my opinion was informed, I just went and tried moving Zelda.  On my Ult2 APQS installed a counterweight at the front of the carriage.  I moved Zelda laterally to test the effort required, I removed the counterweight, moved her laterally again, and finally replaced the weight, and moved her laterally again.  I could discern no difference in the effort it required to move the machine with or without the counterweight.  I then weighed the weight.  It weighs slightly over 3 pounds.  Each of my channel lock electro magnets must weigh one pound each, and again I noticed no difference in movement effort after I installed them.

If there are other reasons to remove your thread cutter, then it may be a good idea.  If it's in the way, collects derbis, of somhow encumbers your quilting, then maybe it would be a good idea to remove it, but don't take it off thinking it will make a significant difference in the effort it takes to move the machine.  It won't.  If others have seen a significant difference, then there is something more than just the weight of the thread cutter involved.  Jim 

Jim

If you have the curly cord get rid of it,  it weighs a ton.  I have a power bar attached to the underside of my table in the middle and the new straight cord is plugged into that.  I had the setup like Teresa but mine was attached to the back legs of the table and didn't roll along the track well.  The curly cord was always trying to pull the machine back.  I got my straight cord from Amy when I was at the factory a couple of years ago but I'm sure you could source it locally.   

Nigel

Disregard Jim you already have the straight cord with the IS.

I took my thread cutter off because the backside of the plate caught on my quilts. I left the cutter housing on so I could continue to use my Hartley base and my husband cut me a filler piece to take up the space the old plate use to reside in so it brings it all up to the height of the needle plate and base expander. I didn't do it for weight, but because I didn't like the ledge the cutter plate created in the back. I do not have to use the filler plate when I take my base off.

Archived