A Peek At My Studio (Pics are Back!!)

Laura Farnham

Thought I'd share with you where I spend my evenings.

When we bought our home, It had a wonderful 20 x 25 detached building in the backyard. Wow we thought. What a great "party room" or maybe a 'Workdshop for my husband.

Took over 4 years to realize it was my Quilting studio.

(Slow, I know;))

Still Making it mine!

post--13461898094335_thumb.jpg

Yes, You guessed it. I found my Sewing and cutting table for FREE!!!

Another neighbor was remodeling his Kitchen and was going to throw away the old Breakfast Bar/Cabinet unit.

I saw the 8 1/2 foot solid surface and My sewing/cutiing table was born. Just some fresh paint and new knobs and I had extra storage as well.

post--13461898094969_thumb.jpg

Still Making the Studio Mine!

When we decided to pursue my machine and make a go of this business, We knew we had a very tight budget. So we made do with what we had.

The studio used to be a workshop for a curtain maker. So all the electrical and lighting were already in place.

It was heated with Baseboard heat. That costs a fortune. So we found a deal on a woodburner and we use that to heat the room. But when budget allows, The woodburner will be replaced with something more efficient.

It's a cozy room and making it my own has been fun.

I have even implemented "The Wall Of Fame" anyone who comes to my studio to Quilt or to share a cup of coffee is invited to Sign the wall. Just a way for me to remember all my wonderful friends.

If any of you are in the Colorado Springs Area, Stop on by. The coffee is always on and I have an assortment of markers for you to sign the wall. :)

Have a Wonderful Day!

Thanks for letting me share.

Laura

Thanks for the compliment on the quilt on the wall. Thats my next challenge. Been looking at it for a while and nothing so far. It will come to me. I know it will.

Working on My Husbands first quilt. It's the one on the machine. He's very excited. Did it all himself, but says I have to do the Quilting.

My studio has two large windows that look out to the backyard. Great for watching the girls play while working. Two windows behind the sewing table, One at the front of the studio and double doors that open to the front. Gonna change those to double french doors as soon as we can.

Thanks for visiting:)

Laura

Laura,

Thanks for sharing the photos of your studio. You are very creative with using your "free furniture" and I like your thread tree -- just stack another set of branches on top and decorate it with more thread, as needed... LOL!

Lots of space, and bright light. I was eyeballing your photos and noticed the big refrigerator (or freezer) you have in the corner. You can grab a nice cold one or a pint of ice cream when you need the energy boost. LOL!

Your Green Milli looks so happy to live in such a nice place.

We have HWBB heat in our home, too, but we also have a wood stove. We rarely use the wood stove because it's messy and smokey (and you gotta go out into the woods and cut the trees and the logs...ugh!). Well, here's a fantastic idea for your wood stove (we just discovered this). My DH bought some of those prefabricated logs you can get at the store (he got them at Sam's Club). The brand name is Pine Mountain. Well, we were enjoying a nice fire in the wood stove with one of those logs and when it was time to go to bed, we put the airtight cover on and locked it down. In the morning, we were very surprised to find that that very same log was still burning in there! That log burning in the stove was really cranking out some major BTUs - the wood stove was HOT! For a little pre-fabbed log (cost about $2.50) that thing burns for more than 12 hours easy...even longer in a wood stove. Very inexpensive heat, and the log burns down to minimal ashes; hardly anything left in there when it's done. We still use HWBB as our main source of heat in the house but when the outside temps dip down, that extra heat from the wood stove really takes the chill out of the air.

Try it, you'll like it! I bought two cases and they're stacked right by my stove so I can light one up any time I want to get cozy warm. I love the nice, dry toasty-roasty heat that generates from a wood stove! Nothin' like it!

Shana (it may be chilly outside, but it's toasty-roasty inside!) :D

Really nice, such a studio. I have my Millennium in my shop, a very large shop it is, but it even took me much measuring to find the right spot. It is in the back room of my shop, open for public, so they can see the work on it too.

Sylvia Kaptein:D

Sylka-Mode

The Netherlands, Europe

www.sylkamode.com

Laura...great studio....we are going to start building our home in the next few months...I am at odds when it comes to what to put on the floor. Most of the house is going to be wood floors....real true wood...not that laminate stuff....I want my floors to have the weathered, used look. But in the studio....(measures only 16 X 19 ) I'm not sure I want the wood. So I was wondering how your floor is holding up....Is it vinyl? Any other input would be appreciated....I still have time to decide what to put on the floor.

Thank-You all for stopping by.

Shana- Thanks for the heads up on the pre-fab logs. We are using good ole firewood but you are right, it can be messy. We'll have to give those logs a try.

Katnap- Congratulations on you new home. How exciting, getting to plan all aspects of it. My floors are actually concrete. It had outdoor carpet over it before but that had to go. We covered it with concrete paint. The kind you put in your Garage or Basement. It was quite easy to do and its super easy to clean. We thought about putting carpet in there, but with my Saddle stool, I just glide all around. I do have a long carpet runner under my machine for when I need to be under it to check things out and such. As for comfort, the wood burner gives off enough heat that the floor is never cold. I don't have any mats on the floor for cushion but I have quite an assortment of "Crocs" shoes to make up for that. I know there are a couple other links on floors here. Check them out. Everyone always has such great advice on this chat.

Have a wonderful day!

Laura

Laura - Very nice studio! Thanks for sharing the photos - and you are really

one lucky gal finding just the right piece of furniture at just the pefect $$$!

I was going to mention what I thought were logs over by a fireplace. I am

sure that is has a nice warm heat - and I would think that most people

would not mind the smell. Just wondering if you have had any complaints

on that?? Did you read the long post about smoking / smells and such??

Right now I am upstairs by a gas fireplace but eventually we will install a

wood buring stove downstairs... just wondering what the thoughts are

on this......

Hi Judi-

Actually, I haven't had a customer quilt yet, so I have not had any complaints. But it is a major concern of mine. So far I have been using the fireplace to heat while I am out Practicing on my own quilts. We do have Baseboard Heat if we need to use it.

I do have several friends that are terribly allergic to smoke and pet hair but they seem to do fine in my studio and in my home. (Woodstove, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a cockatiel) In fact, they always comment how they never have any problems when they come by.

I too am an ex-smoker. 7 years now. I can smell a cigarette a mile away, but I don't seem to smell the woodburner unless I'm outside of my studio.

Once I start taking in Customer Quilts though, I will disclose the use of the woodburner and go from there.

Have a great day.

Laura

Laura,

I don't get any smokey smell from my airtight wood stove inside the house....only outside cuz that's where all the smoke goes (up the chimney and outside). Chances are you will not have a smokey smell inside your studio and therefore it won't get on the quilts.

However, if you are looking at alternative sources of heat, one thing that is popular up here are the oil drip stoves, also known as a Monitor stove or a Toyo stove. These are very fuel efficient and put out very warm heat. These oil drip stoves are perfect for small single rooms like your quilt studio. They are popular in cabins and workshops and garages, too. Just something to consider if you'd rather go a different route, rather than the woodburner. Hey...something else I jus thought of...those pre-fab logs don't have a smokey smell like real tree logs do, and they don't put off the smoke like tree logs do, either, so you might be OK with the prefab logs in your woodburner.

It was just a thought. I'm sure as long as it is a air-tight and efficient stove

there wouldn't be problems. I just can't help but think of the in-laws who

used wood heat. All of their white walls had blackness around the ceiling -

about 6 - 8" down. YUck! Who would want that on their quilts hanging on

the walls and such.... not me! I'm sure what they were using was an old

clunker of a thing.....

I really like your studio! Mine is still a work in progress, but it is coming along. I have my shelves in there, and my rolly pollys. I'm just taking stuff up there bit by bit. (my studio is uphill about 100 feet on a rough path)

I want some of those thread holders, great find! Which Dollar Store did you get them at?

Just a thought...I don't think the flu system was quite as good back then as they are now either. We now have triple vent and such. I know the gunk you are talking about, but I don't recall that gunk being on their clothes, just the flu pipe. Anyway, my grandmother had a gas stove in her livingroom when I was growing up - natural gas - and everything was yellow, walls, cabinets, etc. We heat with wood in a fireplace with an insert, we smell wood outside, but not inside.

Hello Melanie-

That is my "Wall Of Fame". Signatures of anyone who comes to my studio to quilt or take classes. I thought it would be fun to have a wall that all could sign.

I'm just starting out, so there's not a lot of signatures, but someday, I hope to have the whole wall covered.

Myrna Ficken has already signed it. The first day I had my machine she stopped by and I asked her to sign the wall.

I thought it would be fun. My little way of remembering all who have visited.

Hey Shana-

Thanks for all the info on alternatives for heat. Always looking for ways to improve.

Have a great day all!

Laura

Laura!

your place looks great. I may have to borrow your wall of fame idea when i get the new shop built. That is a most outstanding idea and I bet it is great inspiration from time to time.

Your husbands quilt looks wonderful. Give him an atta boy from me!

Hope ur not receiving as much snow as we have been in the past few weeks, it has been wonderful to watch but has played havok on the roads and driveways!

Happy Quilting!

Laura, is it okay to be a little green with a tiny bit of envy? I love your studio. Mine is big but rather cold and it has no windows:( But it is mine and I can retreat there whenever I want.) I have been using a propane heater that I turn on for 30 minutes or so before I go out to quilt and then I turn it off and put a little electric heater on, but it gets kind of chilly after a couple of hours. But what the hey, I really can't complain can I? My blessings abound, I am healthy and have a machine to do dance with and a husband who loves my passion as much as I do.:D

Hi Laura - I love your studio and also the furniture that you have saved from the neighborhood. I too love to find new uses for things that neighbors are going to throw away (I have a beautiful quilt rack made from an old headboard that was outside to be picked up on trash day). I even had my friend help me carry it home!! Well, my current studio is quite small (11 1/2' by 15') and we have just sold our home and looking for a new home with a larger "studio" space for me and my Millie. We have a bit of time as the lady who bought our home doesn't need to move until July, but we are still out there looking for our new home. Thanks for posting pictures of your space and the great ideas. I'll be looking at our dollar store to find those spool holders. They are great.

Archived