Shameful Sight!

Driving home on the interstate today I can upon a young guy in a truck pulling a boat.  I was in shock when I saw what he had covering his boat motor, held on with bungee straps.  It was a Log Cabin style quilt!!! As it was blowing in the wind I saw a signature square on the back. All that work put into making this quilt, just to be used as a boat motor cover………Shameful!  I couldn’t bare to stay behind this guy for very long!

Oh Liam, this is what we dread as quilters.  Just because movers use industrial quilts for padding stuff when moving does not mean that our quilts are to be used willy-nilly. 

I applaud you for not forcing him off the road and taking the quilt off the motor!  Still, if you happen to ever read a label on a misused quilt, maybe you can use the info to find the quilter and tell him/her never to make another quilt for person xyz.

Lynn

Don't worry, his dog had probably already chewed a huge hole in the center of it, right near where he had dropped his cigarette and burned a chunk out of it, before he managed to extinguish the flames with the bottle of red wine on the kitchen counter... so there was still enough of Grandma's quilt to wrap around the motor.  Sheesh!

Well maybe the boat and a quilt made by his ex-mother-in-law is all he got in his divorce settlement, and it was the only way he saw fit to use the quilt. I am ducking now by all the things ya'll are throwing at me. :D  

It would be a shame indeed, Liam.

Lynn you’re probably right!

Cindy I made a beautiful DWR for my brother when he got married, had their names and marriage date embroidered on it in a cornered ring center. They got a divorcing a few years later. Neither one of them wanted the quilt because it had each other’s name on it. So it ended up as a dog bed out in the dog house.......ruined! I was so sick about it! I told my brother I could have fixed the name issue easy enough. So to this day I will not embroider names on wedding quilts, nor will I make my brother another quilt.

Cindy I made a beautiful DWR for my brother when he got married, had their names and marriage date embroidered on it in a cornered ring center. They got a divorcing a few years later. Neither one of them wanted the quilt because it had each other’s name on it. So it ended up as a dog bed out in the dog house.......ruined! I was so sick about it! I told my brother I could have fixed the name issue easy enough. So to this day I will not embroider names on wedding quilts, nor will I make my brother another quilt.[/size]

Wow, Liam...don't blame you for not wanting to make him another one.  We just put so much of ourselves into the quilts we make for our loved ones.  Wish they could all appreciate that.

Archived