Small DSM Opinions, please...W

I knew it was only a matter of time (and $$), but Dennis has found the boat of his dreams that will also suit mine--the only thing its lacking is a place for my favorite horse!! :D

It is a great boat with a "raised salon," which just means that while its a sailboat, it also has an open cabin with lots of light. It also has a little navigation station desk that will be perfect for piecing (who needs to really check a map, anyway??) when we're anchored. I will have my own floating studio!!

To that end, I need some recommendations from you guys. What is the smallest sewing machine you've seen or used that is reliable for piecing? 

The feather Weight is what most are going to recommend.  I have the Burnette, (which is built by Janome!)

by Bernina and it not only has a great stitch consistancy, but is light weight.  Has several feet, does have

some stitch selections, and is just easy to thread, can use a prewound bobbins.

I love mine,  stopped carrying the feather weight for sewing at the guild meetings,  and can't say I'm

disappointed. 

I have the Burnette H40.  I know there are other models now, but haven't compared the features.

Good luck in your search.  And on hubbys new boat.

Rita

I've never heard of the Burnette! That's a new one for me.

I like the idea of the FW, since it doesn't have any electrical parts. When we're moored, we'll have normal electrical power; however, when we're anchored, it will be subject to surges, etc. Perhaps a FW is the way to go. Sure would be awful if I had to buy another FW!!!

Gotta go google Burnette!

If you can find one an old Elna Lotus or Stella, all mechanical, lighter than a Featherweight and also does a couple of decorative stitches.  I've been looking for one for about 6 years and can't find one in my price range (I'm cheap).  We take the featherweight in the trailer with us, it is very tolerant of poor voltage.

Nigel

Dory:  One of the great things about the Featherweights is the carring case.  Sturdy, compact, easy to store, and roomy enough of some other small tools.  Most other machines don't have a case that compares.  The Featherweights sew great.  You won't go wrong with one of them.  Jim

Dory:  If you decide to buy a Featherweight, let me know.  I have several, all in great shape, serviced and ready to sew.  All the machines I have, have good cases, sound, and without the moldy smell some have.  E-mail me at jimatthelake903@yahoo.com if you're interested.  Jim

Archived