Accuquilt Go?

Anyone using one of these? The idea seems interesting and I like the idea of cutting repetitive shapes quickly and accurately, but I also see that one would be limited to set sizes/shapes.

I would be curious to hear any experience, are there any real competitors, and if you own one do you think it was worth it?

Thanks

I bought the new version of the Accuquilt this year. It is supposed to have a smoother rolling action. I chose it over the Studio cutter due to space reasons -- my sewing room is too small to have the Studio permanently set up. The Go version folds and stores nicely. I can't say whether the new smoother rolling action is better than the older version as I haven't used the older version, but so far I'm happy with the Accuquilt Go. I use the strip dies the most. If you are looking for the new version, Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims are pictured on the box. The jury is out as to whether it was worth the investment but it is more accurate than I am at cutting.

I love using the Go! and the Studio. I have been using the Go! for a long time - I bought it just after it was introduced. I also teach classes using the Go! I have designed a sampler quilt using lots of the various dies and I have  been teaching this class since January - we are making the last of the 12 blocks today. Yes, you are limited to the dies that are available but AccuQuilt is constantly developing new shapes and sizes. Once you learn how to use it, you actually waste very little fabric and your cuts will be very accurate and go together easily. I also love the fact that many of your dog ears are trimmed off already and this makes aligning your pieces easy. The strip dies are really versatile because you can also cut squares and rectangles by taking your cut strips and placing them cross-wise on the dies. You are limited only by your imagination!

I have an older version of the Go than Bonnie.  I have had problems with the handle being extremely stiff to turn.  The whole unit would lift up off the table when I tried to turn the handle to cut.  I sent it back to Accuquilt, it was under warranty but I still had to pay the shipping which was around $27 if I remember correctly.  So much for the warranty!  I have not tried it since it was returned.  It always seems quicker to me to pull out my rotary cutter and ruler.  I expect I will take the time to learn to use it when I have lots of the same shape to cut.  I have heard much better reports for the Studio cutter and the Sizzx(sp) or possible the Sixxz!

I finally broke down and bought the Studio Cutter when it was on a good sale. I'd been "thinking" about it, rationalizing, and justifying it, for at least 3 years. I now have too much money invested in dies :o , but have enjoyed using them for donation quilts. i especially like the Take 5 die. I can cut 10 layers of fabric at once and have enough fabric cut for several quilts within a very short period of time. I used the same die with 2 of my granddaughters last weekend. I let them each pick out 5 fabrics, I cut and they sewed. They know the quilts are for donating and they were anxious to see them go together. The girls are 7 & 11. The 7 year old was the most excited! ;) Next time they're here, we'll get them on the machine and they can "push the buttons" to let CompuQuilter stitch them while we cut and sew some more.

I have had the GO for several years and am happy with it.  I bought it for two reasons:  1) cutting accuracy and 2) to reduce the potential for slicing my fingers with a rotary cutter.  Drove the rotary cutter over one finger, 8 stitches, ouch! 

I haven't had any problems with the cutter but I did have trouble with two dies but I sent them back and they were replaced.  I usually cut 4 layers at a time and am happy with the unit.  One thing that helps with the cutting accuracy is to feed length of grain into the cutter; cross grain can give inaccurate cuts.

I have the go and I do like it....yep...you can get some inaccurate cuts once in a while especially with the square cuts....but as someone side above...loading it with the lengthwise grain up helps...and also I like just using four layers now for the squares as I think the layers do slide a little at times expecially the more layers you have....at least that is what I am figuring....overall though...I think the cuts are more accurate then me with my rotary cutter and ruler....I have chosen my dies carefully and have found the strip cutters the most usefull...they come in a lot of differant widths...I like using 2.5 inch strips for my binding and I can cut up to 9 stirips the full width of my fabric at once if I go through six layers of fabric....I also am liking my little 2.5 inch square die which cuts out nine with one layer of fabric...so lif you layer it six thick, you get 6 X 9 or 54 squares with one pass....I also got the 1, 1.5, and 2 inch strip cutters...and you really can get a lot of one pass on those....I you are just making a few pieces, the rotary cutter is probably faster...but for a whole buncb....the cutter is good...I also got it because I have some problems with my wrist and carpal tunnel...and the reviews I read said that several folks thought the go was easier on their wrists...I did take a class where we had an opportunity to try the go first....I am glad I got it....I may add a few dies later...but my suggestions would be to just start out with a select few so you can try it...although there are some die "sets" a better prices, one of which I wish I had just got as I later purchased most of the dies in the set ......Lin

I did have the Accuquilt Go, but upgraded to the Studio a while ago. I loved the GO, but when Accuquilt had a sale on the Studio, I was sucked in. The Studio is a fantastic cutter. Like Darlene I have the Take 5 die also the Churn Dash. With two passes of the cutter. You can cut 20 blocks enough for as small quilt. I also can use all of my Go Dies with the Studio since Accuquilt came out with an adapter for this. My favourite dies are the strip dies and my 10 inch finished square. So quick when and easy for when you need a quilt made quickly. Some other dies are the Drunkards Path, and Rob Peter to Pay Paul, with out these dies I would be to lazy to cut them out with a rotary cutter. . As you can see I do love my Studio. ☺

I've had the Go since it was first mentioned on here.  No room for the Studio.

As sewingpup said above it is very stiff to roll a dye and fabric through. 

In fact it is very stiff to run through using just the die and the mat, to see if it

was easier.

Roland has to cut mine for me.  I don't have the arm/hand strength, and with

the facet nerve kicking up in my shoulder and arm, I won't even attempt it.

We have very seldom used more than 4 layers, and Never more than 6.

We've been cutting out blocks for the shaggy quilt, and there are several

places where the fringe isn't cut off on the outside edge.  Always a few threads

still to be cut..  Can't afford to send it- the board- back for replacement as

there are 4 babies due with kin and folks we know,  and himself decided

he wanted to make the shaggy quilts to use up some of the batting scraps

we have left.  Pieces too small for a quilt and bigger than 4 placemats.

It's Not Using Enough. lol

So yes it's stiff and no it doesn't always cut exact sizes, but, with not putting

in very many fabrics we don't lose much if it does cut wrong.

The one thing I didn't do with the fringed block, is put thru one piece of

special fabric we wanted to use.   ROFL  it wasn't wise as then we had to

measure and mark all the fringe to cut.. still didn't trust ourselves to get

it put in the block squarely to cut the fringe.

Would I buy it again?  Only if it functioned a Lot Easier than this one.

Oh, as an example for how stiff it is,  one of the teeth broke out of the

cog  wheel in the handle assembly.  Himself had a ball taking it apart to

find out why it would only turn one way so far and same the other way.

It wasn't hard to open but it sure wasn't the easiest to find where to open it.

He had a ball.

He did grease the cog wheels which didn't help much.

Personally I don't think it was spaced right.  It doesn't allow enough room

for the sandwich to roll through.  It puts far too much pressure on the

boards, and really messes up the mats.   Hmm, I wonder if there  

is anything a bit thinner we could use in place of the mat that comes

with it?    Maybe a chunk of a dead cutting mat. have to check that out.

Rita

P.S.   When cutting the strips we use a piece long enough to fit the length 8 times, and fold it back

on itself for 4 layers and let the excess trail through, then turn the fabric around and cut the uncut

4 layers, to get a lot longer strip.  It makes it a lot quicker to cut fabrics for things like sashing,

borders, binding.

I think with careful planning, a strip the length you need for a long quilt could be cut and used, by

folding the middle section and folding the cut strips back over the die and mat.

I'm not so sure I'd go through all that trouble to get a real long one unless it is something going

into a Big Show.

Thank you all!

I spent some time on the site yesterday. They had a 20% off total purchase deal and that was on top of the discounted price for some "sets" (including cutter and die packages). Put together the sale was good enough that between what I had thought I wanted and the really valuable feedback I got from all of you...I have a Studio and die set on the way (well, OK it's actually backordered...but will be coming soon)! I had the space and have been debating this for quite a while...you all gave me the little push I needed to make the leap.I was really on the fence about the Studio vs. Go decision and I have the space for the studio. Between the "stiffness" issues and learning that there was an adapter for the Go dies (if I wanted to buy some of the less expensive Go dies) my decision was made! Thanks again to all of you!

Hi Dave,

Please let us know how you like it.

How easy it is to use?

How good the instructions are?

How much fabric is wasted?

I've been debating this purchase for over a year, now.

I'd appreciate your input.

I absolutely love my Studio cutter.  I have the GO baby and have never used it.  I'm sure I will sometime.  I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up.  I collected a few GO dies just because they were cute or not offered in the Studio version then they came out with the adaptor.  It's awesome now.  I wish every quilter could own a Studio.  I just took a quilt class with a friend and it uses 2½" strips then has you cut those down even further.  For a king size quilt it required over 400 2½" squares.  The Studio Cutter will cut 12 squares at a time and with 10 layers of fabric (which it handles very nicely) I only have to make two passes and my squares are cut out perfectly.  I can't tell you how much I love the strip cutters too.  If you're on the fence at all just go find one and try it out.  You'll be hooked forever. 

I lurked for about 2 years before I made my purchase.  I bought the GO, wanted the Studio but just did not have the room for it.  I love my GO.  Love the strip cutter, squares, triangles etc.  I cut four layers at a time.  Turning the wheel can be a little stiff but so far it has been easy to use.  Glad you could accommodate the Studio.  You will love it!

Thanks..

And Thank You Darlene...what a great idea...I will be at Ikea in a few weeks (we have one in town) for some other purpose...and this will be coming home with me too! I have the space (if I would get everything cleaned up) but being able to move it around is great.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your new Studio, Dave.  You made a great choice.  Just like Darlene, I use the IKEA kitchen cart...it is the perfect size for the Studio, holds dies on the shelves underneath and can be pushed around the sewing room or out of the way when needed.  I love the Studio cutter & have used the strip dies, the rick rack die, several floral shapes & leaves...I have even had a couple of custom dies made by the company.  Sign up for their sales alerts and check their daily deals if you want to build your collection of dies.  You can trade with friends too  ;)  I always starch & press my fabrics before cutting...I think it makes for much more accurate cuts.  If you have trouble with any of the dies releasing when you're cutting only a few layers, just add a piece of copier paper to the stack of fabric.  Somehow it helps the cutter make a cleaner cut.  Have fun, Dave!   Nancy in Tucson

Archived