What is it exactly that causes "pokies"?  I noticed them the other day on a quilt (mine) that had two different types of fabric in the backing.  The pokies were very evident in the darker fabric.  Also, I have just finished a customer quilt that has black/grey flannel backing - and yes, pokies . . .I couldn't use a dark batting as the top was a lighter colour - actually the Thimbleberries Bird House BOM from years ago. 

So back to my question - is it the batting? (Hobbs 80/20 right way up); backing fabric, thread, needle?  btw, I changed the needle as soon as I noticed the pokies and no change.

This is two in a few days - and I've never experienced it before.

What do you think?

Bev

I've had backers that were obviously cheap fabric and very stiff and crinkly. The needle punches through and can either drag a bit of batting with it or actually cut the threads and cause the white-ish underside of the backer to show. Flannel will do the same--I have one on the frame now with a brown flannel backer and I have lots of white spots--not batting but the inside/underside of the fabric showing around the needle holes.

Make sure your batting is right-side-up, that the sandwich isn't too tight, spritz the backer after it's loaded to see if it softens up a bit, and with all your care you can still get pokies. As long as your tension is good. it's really the best you can do. I don't care for Thimbleberries fabric--the dye is heavy and you can displace a thread just by stitching and cause those light dots to show. I think that over-application of dye to get the rich colors also makes the fabric stiff (especially darker colors) and cause some problems on top and the backer. Just my two cents.

I have used a lot of Thimbleberries fabrics and never noticed having a problem with the pokies but the other day I was quilting and it wasn't just pokies on the back it was some of the fabric from the seam allowances coming through to the back.  I changed needles and it stopped.  I guess I had a little burr and didn't realize it.

I'm bringing this back up to see if there are any more ideas of why the pokies.  I did another quilt using the same flannel backing (pre-washed) and it had a few pokies, but not as many.  Same Hobbs 80/20 batting (loaded right side up); new needle both times.  The first (worst)  quilt I used Wonderfil Cotton Thread in the top; Magna Glide in the bobbin; the second one used Glide thread top and bobbin.

The quilt shop owner who sells the backing was shocked at the pokies - especially since she has purchased a lot of this backing - but I have to wonder if it really is the backing as it didn't seem to "pokie" as much with the second piece???  She's now thinking it's me . . . and my Freeda?  I honestly have never had this problem before and the only consistent is the backing fabric.  This is the fabric  http://store.hamelsfabrics.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=30207292046573020&Store_id=360&page_id=23&Item_ID=82601   (not the quilt shop where I purchased it - but it's the same fabric) .

Any more ideas?

Bev

how tight is the weave on the backing, Bev?  I just quilted a charity quilt with wide backing and it was quite a dense, stiff backing. It almost felt like it had extra sizing in it or it was a light drapery weight.  I, too had pokies.   Changed my needle, changed the bobbin thread, top thread,tension, etc and still the pokies.   Backing was on correctly, because I actually ripped out my basting stitches and flipped it over thinking my backing was on incorrectly.  Nope.  I finally sprayed and wiped the whole backing to help it out somewhat (that worked a bit)   

Interested to find out other theories :-)  

• 4 months later...

This is a small lap quilt and the pattern is called 'Links'.  I quilted swirls in the purple fabrics, feathers in the green/yellow fabrics to give the two areas different texture and just quilted a line along the black fabric squares to divide the areas.   Gail was thrilled with the quilting which makes me very happy! 

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes there aren't any causes really.

I have them with good quality fabrics, with good quality battings, with different size and new needles, with good quality threads. I think sometimes it's just a combination of different factors that can't be avoided.

At least it's the front of the quilt that many times is more visible!

Hi Bev, Sometimes I think it is the thread. When I use MaxiLock I tend to get more pokies than when I use glide.. maybe the surface of the glide thread is smoother than the Maxi. Being rougher, I think the tendncy to grab and drag with it would be stronger than with a thinner, smoother thread, like Glide, Highlights and other good Superior threads.. there are smooth threads from other companies as well..

Does this sound logical. I looked at the thread with a magnifier.. and there is a world of difference. You might try it to see.

I'm Not saying only rough threads cause pokies, there are too many other combinations that can cause trouble..

Rita

I fight the dreaded pokies too  :angry:   I also changed to a smaller needle, fiddle with tension, watch how I load the batting, tighten or loosen quilt top and backing...the list goes on and on.  I just throw my hands up and give in sometimes as there doesn't seem to be much that can be done.  I do know that some batting is way worse that others for pokies.  Some of the batting that we have used for years have lowered the quality and I wonder if that isn't part of the problem.  Seems our toppers pay lots for fabric for the top and backing but scrimp on the batting.  If there is anyone here that has a batting that they just love to work with and NEVER causes pokies..I would like to know what it is. 

• 3 months later...

I have used Quilters Dream batting also with no pokies. Yesterday, a client's quilt had great fabrics and backing, my normal thread, So Fine, & needle. But she gave me a Fairfield Rayon Bamboo and Cotton very thin batting to use. The backing is burgundy color and lots of pokies show. I think it is the batting. I have never used it before. That's the only variable. Now I have just one night to fix it! Any suggestions? I have finished quilting it. She's picking up tomorrow night. Wonder if spritz with water and toss in dryer? Or rubbing back with a toothbrush?

Archived