How Do You Run 2500m Invisafil Spools?

If they are on cones, like the ones I have, I run them on the back of the machine just like any other thread.  Some people use thread nets with them, but I've never had any trouble.  You may need to thread Invisifil through fewer holes in the three-hole guide above the tension discs in order to get it to run.  Yes, its such a fine thread, that a LOT of it fits on those small cones!  Somewhere, I got a large cone, and I think it will outlive me!

Thank you Lynn!!!  I cannot believe how tiny those cones are!!!  LOL*  I am going to try it through the back like you suggest and I'll lighten up the tension.  I'm so excited!!!  :)  I had to double check the size I got when I saw those little cones...I was like "CRAP!  I hope this is enough for a whole quilt!!"  :)

Valerie, I have some of Superior's Monolon on a big regular size cone and it is 10,000 yards (like Lynn said, enough to outlive me, too!), so i can imagine those little 2500 meter cones are tiny! Don't you wish they could put that much thread on a cone that small for all the threads? Imagine how many more cones we would have room for ... if only we had the money to buy more thread!  :D

Haha!  Yes I always NEED more thread!!  I think this quilt was just an excuse to go thread shopping.  I'm going to test it out on my own practice piece to make sure I can run it ok.  I love the way it looks sewn up so I'm hoping and praying I can run this ok!!  If it sews up well I'm going to stock up on it.  Eep!

Thank you Madelyn for the tip - good to know!  

I played a little on a practice piece of mine to make sure this would work for my customers quilt...I can't believe I got good tension on the first shot!!!  I unlooped some of the tension rings up top and loosened up the top tension discs so it felt like it matched the bottom and by golly, it was perfect!  I think it helps that this thread is so thin...it sort of wants to bury in the batting.  HOLY cow I hope this stuff runs well for me, I loved what I saw with my test piece!  The true test will be when I get going on this quilt tonight...sometimes after a few hours of quilting with Glide I get shredding.  *fingers crossed*

I have just finished a quilt Pandemonium (on another thread) with Invisifil. Ran beautifully, no change in thread path just loosened up the tension.

Did have a bit where it was shredding then realised it was catching on the slightest of burrs on the right hand side of the head between the tension guide.  Covered that with magic tape and away I went.

If you have shredding for no reason have a look at your pigtail guides they may be starting to wear.

I have had some shredding yesterday and today with my Invisifil.  I have run a piece of pantyhose in every space I can get it to fit and find no burrs or rough spaces.  I changed the needle and put a drop of oil in the bobbin area and tried to keep a slower, steady pace.  George is turned to 6 right now.  I did talk to Lucy at o3bquilting and she suggested to run the spool on a makeshift thread holder placed right on top of the machine above the 3 hole guide above the tension discs and not through the longer path from the original thread holder. 

Valerie, glad you like the Invisafil thread. Your feathers look wonderful. I'm a little jealous as I have never quite mastered feathers I can do them but don't seem to be able to be consistent.

I wish the cones on the Invisafil were a little stronger. When I last bought this thread three of the cones arrived broken ...ack.

Otherwise I love this thread.

I've been using Invisafil on the last 2 custom quilts that I am trying to finish. It's running very well, using deco Bob on the bobbin I must say it is perfect tension & very nice looking on dense quilting for texture. I bought $250.00 worth @ Houston show last year and @ Long Beach another $200.00. I just started using it this month on my personal quilts, works better for me & my Millie than so fine & bottom line.

Corey - I can see why you invested in this thread, I really love it!  It's a bit finicky, I can also see why some struggle with it.  I love the way it sews up though.  Exactly what my customer wanted - thread, without THREAD!  :)

Cathy, thank you!!  That means a lot to me to hear!!  I really like the way Invisafil sews up too - it looks more like hand quilting than machine quilting doesn't it?  Very soft and delicated and it doesn't completely hide the backtracking with a contasting color but it certainly lessens the thread buildup which I really like.  I bet the backtracking would completely disappear if I were using a tone on tone thread and fabric.  I need to quilt a few more quilts and earn some money, and then I'd like to stock up.  I like Glide a lot but for feathers I think this is my favorite thread.

I've been using Invisafil on the last 2 custom quilts that I am trying to finish. It's running very well, using deco Bob on the bobbin I must say it is perfect tension & very nice looking on dense quilting for texture. I bought $250.00 worth @ Houston show last year and @ Long Beach another $200.00. I just started using it this month on my personal quilts, works better for me & my Millie than so fine & bottom line.

Corey, do you remember the name of the vendor you bought the Invisifil off at Houston last year? I've checked the list of exhibitors for this year, and can't find a vendor that I think will be selling Invisifil, and I would love to stock up on it too! :)

Valerie, your feathers are totally magnificent!!!! And I hope I get to meet you in person some day, then maybe, just maybe, some of your amazing feather magic might rub off on me!!!

Julie I hope to get to meet you in person some day too!!!  I think that is just about the kindest compliment ever.  :)  Thank you!!  I am a hopeless feather addict.  It's seriously a problem.  I have one customer who is just the sweetest lady, she has had so much faith in my quilting from the beginning and I love her to bits...she sent me a quilt and told me "no feathers please".  I spent DAYS trying to figure out what to do with her quilt!!!

Corey, do you remember the name of the vendor you bought the Invisifil off at Houston last year? I've checked the list of exhibitors for this year, and can't find a vendor that I think will be selling Invisifil, and I would love to stock up on it too! :)

Valerie, your feathers are totally magnificent!!!! And I hope I get to meet you in person some day, then maybe, just maybe, some of your amazing feather magic might rub off on me!!!

Becky thank you!!!  Yes these are bump bump feathers.  Everyone seems to be different, find different methods easier.  When I first started making feathers on my home sewing machine I made them the way Patsy Thompson makes hers.  Kind of like, half hearts?  They started off looking like half hearts too!  Then eventually they started to look like feather plumes.  I did try to do regular feathers with plumes but I usually only do those when I mark the entire feather on a quilt.  For some reason bump bump just come naturally to me.  It helps that I have drawn, literally, hundreds, probably thousands of feathers on paper!  LOL  I have forced myself to continue stitching them through the "ugly" phase when you hate every feather you quilt...but if you don't push through that phase and keep quilting them they don't get better!  :)

Valerie, your feathers are beautiful!! Are those "hump/bump" feathers? Would love to make feathers like yours.  Thanks.    Becky

Archived