Sewing a wholecloth with gold thread

I'm getting ready to make an ivory colored wholecloth quilt for my daughter's wedding gift and wanted to quilt it using gold thread.  Any ideas what brand or kind of thread I should use so it is washable friendly.   I also will be using my Intelliquilter to quilt it, so if there is any suggestions what works good in a computerized quilter.    Also, should I maybe quilt all the main motifs in gold and do all the stippling or backgrounds in ivory colored thread.  Any help would be appreciated.   Kerri

Superior metallic thread ran great on my machine and I use an IQ computer system. I did not try to break any speed records when I used it.

I think that if it were my quilt, I would want the gold to show up and not so much the background. Ivory thread is a good color choice. Please post pictures when it is done. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Hi Kerri,

I have only used superior's SoFine and Bottom Line for wholecloths. There are other great threads though. I think your idea of using a gold for the motifs and cream for filler is a good one. I have done that with great success. I don't have a computerized machine, so I can't help you there.

Make sure to post pictures. I love wholecloth quilts!!!

Jess

I used it on my Daughter's Christmas quilt, it really makes the quilt...not over powering.  I know she washes it every year before putting it away and after 4 years it still looks great......like it did when it was first quilted.  She does was it by hand though, so I couldn't tell you how it would hold up machined washed.

You could buy sample card from bobbin central/ Filtec, sand, cleopatra & military gold will look good like gold metallics, they sell matching bobbin colors. I agree with Jess, glide threads are easier to use also. I just finished quilting a customer quilt Amazon star, she requested gold thread that I've used on her quilts before which was sand.

I bought some metallic silver in the Glisten line of thread Fil-Tec has and my Millie didn't care for it. I also use the IQ system and I realllllllly had to mess with the tension, rerouting and almost no tension in the spring assembly to get it to look -OK- ....I use the Glide thread in 99% of my customer quilts, never have to adjust tension. The metallic thread was just too thin. If you are wanting Gold thread I have a color card and I think Cleopatra would be a nice medium gold or Fool's Gold for a nice dark gold sheen. Honey Gold would be a shade right in the middle of those two options. Good Luck! Can't wait to see pics! 

Filtec Glide "Sand" in both top and bobbin is what I would use.  I love the Magna-Glide bobbins.  Sand is a gold color with sheen which seems to blend with anything--Linda Reich mentioned it one time in a post on the forum and I've gone through several cones since then.

Kerri,

I'm sold on GLIDE thread. It's become my FAVORITE go to thread, beyond all belief! Now, with that said, Claudia Pfeil also uses 100 wt silk thread, but you need to move s l o w e l y when quilting with it.

Love Fil-tech -  Bobbin Centrals thread as well!

I use matching thread colors in the bobbin ALWAYS,..but, that's just ME!

Also, we need to hook up soon! Roxanne says she gets to speak with you often, and I told her, we've missed you the past few yrs.

Maybe I need to make a trip out west, and the 3 of us can hook up for lunch! 

Hugs!

Thanks for all the info on Glide thread. I think I will go with that since I have already tried it as well and it works great. I was also looking at the Glide thread for the Ivory background color but don't see a true Ivory color. I haven't ordered the fabric yet but it doesn't look like there is any Ivory color unless I'm just not finding it. Is it the Bone color? Because that looks too dark and so does Linen color. There is only the two white colors but I think they will be too bright white for the Ivory. Any suggestions for the Ivory color to match the Ivory (cotton sateen) fabric?

I looked at the Cream and Pearl and I thought they both looked dark.  If someone actually has one of these colors, maybe they can tell me if it actually is an Ivory or off-white color.  Or maybe I should buy one and see if it will match the fabric?

Thanks, it is very helpful.   I called Fil-tec and they e-mailed me a color chart and I will be ordering the Cream and the Linen so  can see what truly matches the fabric.    I also picked out Vegas Gold for all the motifs.   And I hope it will look good!   Thanks for everyone's help on this.   I'll post pictures when done although it will be a while before finished. 

Archived