are swirls hard to do?

Hi Joan.

Surprisingly, if you loosen your grip you'll be happier with your swirls. With pantos, I always tried to stay on the line  ;)  but realized after a while that the line is merely an advisory. No one will know if you went off the line because they have no reference. Loosen up and go for smooth rather than 100% accurate. 

Another thing you might try is guiding the machine with your right hand on the left handle (if that's your dominant hand) and your left hand on the top roller. Somehow that loosens you up and places you in a better position to view the panto lines.

Hi Joan,

For some reason, I found that the larger the panto, the harder it was for me to trace neat curved lines, such as the ones found in swirls.

I wish I could tell you what I did to improve, but I gave up.

I rarely do pantos anymore.

When I do them, I put my left hand on the handle, and my right hand on the back of the machine.

I get good results with smaller patterns.

For me, I just do mostly freehand from the front of the machine.

And for the big swirls that everyone loves, I got groovy boards.

I use them a lot!

Good luck!

take a lap sized white board and practice the motion of swirls, circles, spirals on the white board. over and over and over.   and over again.  Until your spouse says  -enough with the swirls already.  

That will give you the motion into your memory, and also round out the shape more -  my first spirals were squarish. 

If you're doing a panto, remember not to obsess over keeping on the line all of the time, you are looking for a smooth, consistent shape. 

Speed up a little, or keep speed very consistent through the spiral, but  do not slow down through the spirals - this will give you wobbles and squarish shape.   also, if doing a panto - I actually find if i spread my legs a little more (although I'm really tall)  and use my body/core as the motion -  it's kind of like a dance in a way.  I can't describe it.   But the arms are doing some of the motion, but my body sways as well. 

Relaxing and practice of the curve, circle, straight line, leaf, etc  are the 2 main things.

Remember, only you see the bobbles, unless it really is huge.  Stand back and look at it,

if not easily seen, I'd forget it.

Or leave the room for a while, come back and see if you can really find it easily.  I gave up trying

for perfection since I couldn't seem to get there.  Got good then body issues declared I stop most

of the freehand stuff.. any stuff when I had to move the machine around, myself !

So take a steady easy breath, practice, relax, and you will improve, though i really didn't see

anything wrong with the quilt you showed.   Really nice stitching.  Congrats.

Rita

I also have problems with the round areas and found that if I am always looking slightly ahead of what I am following it seems to flow better. Not that mine are perfect but they are getting better. I also left had the handle and right hand the back of the machine and stand with my legs slightly apart to use my whole body motion to control the movement. I also draw and and follow the pattern with the machine many times before I begin the actual sewing. You will get it just don't give up.

Slowing down on curves does NOT help me.  If I slow down I seem to lose the momentum/fluidity and then things are not round or curvy.  Doing several "dry runs" without the machine stitching to get the pattern down in my brain (muscle memory) first helps.  I hold the machine like Meg does.  Good luck, relax and have fun.

That's a cool idea, Meg. I have never thought to try that. I'm going to give it a whirl next time I do a panto.

Joan, pay attention to your shoulders and back. Make sure your not stiffening but moving your whole upper body with the machine. When i just use my arms i dont do as well. Also, I have found that NOT looking directly at the laser dot helps a lot! I keep my eye about and inch ahead of the dot. My stitching always looks better when I do this.

Jess

What helped me a lot was what someone posted some time ago, I thought it was Linda R. I hold the left handle with my left hand and place my right hand on the back of millie. It made the difference in my quilting of pantos, and much of what everyone else said also. You will get better, the more you quilt, the better you will get. Try to relax and enjoy. K

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely try the suggestions.  And maybe slow down.  And have another glass of wine. :P 

I did get my first frogging out of the way...good thing it was just one row of crib size.

Joan

Slowing down makes it worse for me.

But wine, well, that makes everything better!

:-)

I find when I'm stitching close to the back bar it is easy and goes nice and smooth. As I get further away, it gets harder to push around. Anyone else? 

I agree look ahead of the dot. Like driving a car, you look at the road, not the hood ornament. Thanks Myrna ;-)

Slowing down didn't help.  Stitching without the stitch regulator did help a bit. 

I'm going to match threads on the front and the back and practice a bit more.  Luckily, DH has the tension just right for this.

Think I'll change the name of the panto to Primitive Swirls. :)

I've been stocking up on all the closeout wine at the grocery store and it tastes pretty good.  I'm usually not a drinker but this adventure requires it. ;)

Joan

I find when I'm stitching close to the back bar it is easy and goes nice and smooth. As I get further away, it gets harder to push around. Anyone else? 

I agree look ahead of the dot. Like driving a car, you look at the road, not the hood ornament. Thanks Myrna ;-)

i am not sure which machine you have but if it's a lenni your side arms may have dropped a little and need relifting...

Archived