Cutting to edge . . . or not?

For those of you who do a lot of e2e quilting - do you cut to the edge of the top after quilting - or even offer to do it?  If you do, do you use scissors or a ruler and rotary cutter?  I offer to cut to the edge, and never do it unless the customer OKs it first - and I use my sharp scissors - so it's not squaring the quilt, just cutting off the excess batting and backing.  I'm curious what others do . . . and why. . . and these aren't for show quilts, just ordinary quilts.  Thanks.

I agree with Dell. I'm hired to quilt and trimming is an extra step that I don't have room to do. I never cut off the extra backer after quilting.  But I do cut across the batting at the bottom when I get to it, usually because I'm headed back up the quilt top to do some more stitching and that extra batting at the bottom, when rolled up on the roller, will distort the top.

It's a nice service to offer your customers if you're set up to do it.

I usually ask my customers first, most prefer is to have the quilt trimmed. I trim (not square)

leaving one inch of batting and backing around the perimeter of the quilt. Sometimes I use scissors if the quilt is very large or alternatively, a rotary cutter.

Some clients want it, but I don't do it unless it has been discussed. About 25% of my customers like it trimmed to the edge. I use scissors also, so it is not squaring up the quilt. I will do it at their request tho. The ones I trim for just basically don't want to deal with it. These are clients that are not making show quilts by any means. They are just gifts for loved ones.

Shirley

I trim one inch beyond the edge of the quilt top.  The quilt shows much better without all the extra backing fabric and uneven batting edges showing.  My customers often get their quilts back at guild and show them.  The comments indicate the customers appreciate my having done it.  My intake form says I trim the quilt that way unless requested otherwise.

Well, I guess I am a 'lone wolf' here as I always trim using a rotary cutter.  I have a couple of clients that want the quilts trimmed within an inch, but most others want it done right to the edge.  If the quilts is really out of sq then I contact the client and ask them if they would like me to try and sq it up for them, courtesy done without charge.  I find that the quilts show so much nicer at first inspection with trimming.

I only trim if asked to do so or if I'm applying the binding.  If they ask me to trim, they must tell me how wide the binding is going to be so I can trim it appropriately.  I trim with a ruler and rotary cutter.  If I'm putting on the binding, I apply it with my millie and cut the quilt off the frame with my scissors.  I can judge the seam allowance and cut straight as an arrow.  It goes home ready to hand sew if they want to do it, or I will.  Just depends on how much they want to spend!  I made that my policy from the start.  I heard too many horror stories from new customers who switched to me because their last quilter trimmed too close for their tastes.  Of course, they look nicer trimmed for photos, but I don't want to take the chance of trimming too short.  I leave it to them.

I always ask the customer but 99% of the time the customers want it trimmed because they don't have a large enough area to do it. I like giving it back to the customer nicely trimmed and I trim it to the edge on their last border and if the quilt came here out of square it always looks better when it leaves. I also use rotary cutter and large square. I don't charge extra because it only takes about 10 minutes to do it and have a very happy customer.

Archived