Interchangeable Hopping Feet

I have them and like them but since I use the Quilt Path alot, I am not using the open toed feet because they might catch on something on the quilt top. If I free motion and SID then I don't need to switch feet and so I tried them and they worked out nicely. Seems I may keep them for special cases or demos.

the new feet are about halfway down this page: http://www.apqs.com/features

No pricing that I found on the site, I believe the set of three (in a nice little case with a pair of scissors and a few extra screws) is around $200 if I remember correctly. The feet are available individually too I think. Dawn sent out a PDF of a page in a previous thread. maybe you can find it by searching?

Rita... It does cost more for our lennis though as the old hopping foot has to come out and a new shank fitted in order to use the interchangeable feet.... I was also told that on our machines we couldn't do it ourselves and it had to go back to factory... More difficult for me to do that from the uk... Although I bought the new feet for my lucey, and they are great.

Are we supposed to adjust the foot height with the new feet??? I noticed that the new feet are shorter in length than my original factory foot.  Has anyone done it or are you using them without any adjustments?

Yes I lowered the height for the two flatter feet... And it worked great.

Yes, Janette, thanks for the info on the Lenni and the adjustable feet.   I'd hope Europe could get an APQS tech trained to install the new equipment for the feet.  Maybe one day soon?  Sure hope so.

Yeah, would have to send the machne back to IA, or take it back.. (Not)  to have it swapped.. that may not happen , getting too old to keep getting new stuff that would be nice, and really Not needed.  With the computer for Lenni, I so seldom use it free hand that it would be silly to use that money when it could be used to get new fabric As I Need It.  Right now from the gift certificate I won, I need to check to see if she carries the round hole 45mm cutting blades.  A  couple of our cutters need them and they are hard to find when we don't go out of town and then not near Joanns or Q shops.

Rita:  Harbor Freight sells rotary cutter blades.  I think they are the ones without notches - can't find mine, so I'm not sure.  They're 45 mm and intended for cutting carpet.  Some of my friends claim they're not as sharp as the sewing versions, but I've not been able to detect any difference.  I think my friends' reaction may be simply because they cost so little, not really performance driven.  You can order them on line from their web catalog.  They come in a 2 pack that sells for about $3.  I've bought them for half that on sale, but that was in one of Harbor Freight's stores.  They also have a number of other small tools I've found helpful for quilting.  For instance, I bought a 12' measuring tape a while back for $3 or $4.  I carry it in my pocket a lot of the time.

Anyway, you wouldn't have to leave home to get your rotary blades.  Just order them and Harbor Freight will mail them to you.  There's a shipping cost, but if you buy (try them first) several packs, it becomes pretty low per blade.  Good luck.  Jim

Thanks for the info Janette, I am wondering if the foot being to high was causing some of my tension problems. I thought something wasn't right, glad I asked!!

It also affects control too, if the foot is too high it doesn't clamp down enough either and is too free to gain control.. How are you getting on with it lower?

Hi Jim, I did go shopping at Harbor Freight, blades were nearly $5 for one,  not as low as I paid for the nearly 100 I have with the notches, but considerably lower than JoAnns or private quilt shops. 

I'm  waiting for a message or phone call, don't know which, so will go back to Harbor Freight later.

Thanks for all the help.  Most of the blades have the notched holes, not many with round holes..  didn't find any reference to carpets, so mayb if I designate it better it will help me.

Rita

P.S.   I'm not known for being a good searcher..   :(     I did find these though. :)

Archived