Suggestions bout batting

Thanks, ladies.  I think I will toss a coin.   Know I love the definition of wool and how it breathes; just have never quilted much on flannel and always small quilts and besides the memory is not good.   Don't even remember what I used in the other flannel quilts; but do know it wasn't wool.

Marilyn

Hobbs Poly Down is thick, light and gives great definition to the quilting. Washes well too. I believe it would be similiar to wool in appearance, but not sure about warmth. Most likely cooler than wool.

I've only used the packaged batt, have not tried the roll. I did have problems with the packages having uneven ends, dirt, twigs and leaves mixed in, and places that looked as if they were overstretched. I still like it, just have to be careful to remove the debris and cut it off so edges are straight. It's a shame as the batt is lovely to quilt. I bought a case of 6 queen batts and had issues with each one I've used, so I think you can expect that to be the norm. I may try a roll next time to see if it's any cleaner and straighter.

Debbie

I would say use the wool.  I made a king sized quilt for our bed and used the wool, it was lighter than the cotton/bamboo smaller quilt we replaced it with.  It quilts great and doesn't weigh you down.  Any of the cotton battings I have ever used are too heavy and hotter (trapping heat) than the wool one we are using now.  We heat with wood pellets and there are times the pellet run out in the night (when I forget to fill it) and I am still sleeping comfy under the single wool batted quilt. 

Molly,  Have used the 80/20 Hobbs and it is much nicer than packaged. 

the only batting I used packaged anymore is the wool and I hae had good results with it.

thanks for info.

Madelyn,   Am going to go with your experience and use the wool.   Do know wool breathes more than some other battings.

Marilyn

Janette.  Thanks for info about wool from the roll.   Have only 1 more pkg. of wool left and will order roll next time.     Sure glad I asked this question as I  probably would have used cotton and opinion seems to weigh heavily toward wool being lighter.  Know I love wool on a non-flannel quilt; and will post when I finish.

Marilyn

Archived