Battings of Choice

Fellow Quilters

I am sure this has been discussed before but I cannot find the discussion so I will ask the question again.  What batting do you prefer and why?  I currently use Hobbs 80/20 for most of my quilting needs and Hobbs Wool for the rest.  I am looking for something with a little loft that works up as easily as the Hobbs 80/20.  I would like to have low lint.  Please tell me what you use and why.

I know I have been asking a lot of questions this week but my business is finally starting to take root and I am trying to get some things in stock and this forum is my best source of information.  You are all full of experience and knowledge and you are usually willing to share it.

Thanks for helping all of us that are not as knowledgeable and experienced and hopefully we will be able to pass it along to someone else some day.

Mary 

I use Hobbs 80/20 natural, bleached and black. Hobbs poly down. And just bought Pellon Wool as the place I get it was out of Hobbs wool. A lot of people like quilters dream. Since the place I have been getting batting has gone out of business, when I run out of what I just bought I will try them.

Shirley

Mary, don't ever feel like you are 'pestering' us with questions.  We all share info, that is how a person learns.

As far as batting, everyone will have different opinions on what they like.  From my understanding, Quilter's Dream is one of the top ones that most like to use.  Hobbs Wool is another.  If you are looking for more loft, try using your 80/20 AND wool together.  Putting these together makes for great definition when quilting and usually isn't too heavy either.

I use Hobbs 80/20 and Quilter's Dream Wool. Quilter's Dream will send you free samples of all of their battings. It is wonderful to have for comparisons; I am wanting to try some of their other battings. I love how the Hobbs 80/20 washes up; it quilts wonderfully. I had used Hobbs Wool battings and they had a higher loft than the Quilter's Dream Wool; so I bought a roll of Hobbs Dream Wool. Both quilt wonderfully. I think the Hobbs Wool now is a lower loft than what I had purchased three years ago as my friend is using the Hobbs. Call Quilter's Dream and get their sample booklet.

I have the following rolls on hand (listed in order of popularity which is influenced mainly by price but also equally by usage):

Hobbs Heirloom 80/20

Fiberco 80/20 (this was a new one to me but I'm really pleased with it. It is a lower loft than Hobbs but a better price)

Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Black

Hobbs Wool (this has become super popular lately)

Hobbs 100% Cotton w/scrim bleached

Hobbs PolyDown (only on the roll- not packaged)

Fiberco 100% cotton w/scrim

Quilter's Dream Blend 70/30

Quilter's Dream Wool

Quilter's Dream Poly

Tuscany Poly in the package

I won't touch: 

Anything with Bamboo- I'm allergic

Mountain Mist brand

Fairfield brand

Theramore

Generic brand at JoAnns or Hancocks

Packaged Hobbs polydown

Most of my customers prefer either Warm & Natural or Soft & Bright which is their poly. I also like their Warm Blend but it is hard to find. I have heard good things about their new Warm and Plush. I wish they all would use wool, I prefer Dream Wool and I also like Tuscany by Hobbs. I just had a customer bring me a roll for her quilts that is by Pellon and it is Silicon. Talk about a weird batting. It quilts with some loft but the fibers are so thin it is hard to get a good tension and I ended up with lots of pokies and it was loaded right side up.   

This is great topic, even if it is one that her been visited lots of times!  Many of you list Hobbs Wool as a great choice.  Are you meaning the regular Hobbs wool or the Tuscany?  Do you have any problems with it bearding after washing or are you careful to tell your customers to only hand wash and hang to dry?  I have had a few customers absolutely ruin a quilt that I had quilted using Hobbs wool so now I have not carried it for years!  Hobbs also came out with a new wool/cotton blend, have any of you tried it and what do you thing?

Angela, I notice that you prefer Poly-down on a roll and not pre-packaged?  What's the difference?  I have also noticed that I HATE Hobbs 80/20 in the packages, somehow it is different than the roll, it stretches really bad and is a pain to load!  And, why don't you like Theramore? That is a Hobbs product and I have used it in table toppers and it lies really flat?  And I know absolutely nothing about Fiberco but I am certainly going to look it up!

So much info here!  Sorry for all the questions but it is so great to get feedback on the thing that every longarmer struggles with from time to time.

Cher

I love Hobbs Tuscany Wool the best.  I only quilt on W&N and W&W if someone brings it to me, and then only if I can't convince them they need something with more loft.  If you get someone who isn't a great piecer, a more lofty batt will help their lumps and bumps.  The strictly cotton batts create a lot of lint and actually make me sneeze and cough my head off, so I prefer not to use them.  In addition to Hobbs 80/20, I like the Legacy by Pellon blend WITH the SCRIM.  Without it, it is much to stretchy.  I like Quilters Dream Battings but find them a bit too stretchy, so I don't order them as often.

• 11 months later...

Linda S or Linda R,

Know either one can help me with this question.  Want to buy a roll  of Hobbs 80/20 120" wide.  Where I purchase, they have a roll of Heirloom 80/20 120" wide.  Is that the same as the Hobbs 80/20 that I have been buying.  Didn't get satisfactory answer where I purchase.   Also, I have a daughter who is a washing machine queen and I would like to use a layer of 80/20 plus Hobbs poly down for her.  Have either of you done this?    Know I should probably experiment - but hate to buy that large roll if it isn't the same as I have been using.

Marilyn

I buy my Hobbs from Lyn Heilman from Quilted Memories and she posts on this forum periodically.  Here is the web site:

http://www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com/

I know that the polydown on the roll is the same batting as the Tuscany polydown.  Lyn told me this as did several people working for Hobbs.  The only difference is the batting on the roll is rolled by a machine and the Tuscany in the package is folded by hand.  I looked at Lyn's web site and she is showing heirloom 80/20 on rolls so I would guess it is the same as 80/20 without the heirloom designation.  You might give Lyn a call, she has good prices and shipping is reasonable.

I used 80/20 next to the backing and polydown on top once, on a wall hanging.  There were no problems quilting and the texture is wonderful.

Archived