My first attempt at custom quilting

My daughter handed me this quilt to practice on.  It is far from perfect, but I found walking away from it for a day or two it got to looking better and better to me.  There's lots of room for  improvement, but I thought I would share it here....or at least a halfway decent picture of it.  I am getting pantos down, but this one just seemed to call for custom.  I still have quite a few loose threads to weave in and chalk marks to remove.  After that, it will be heading home to her house. 

post-15392-0-42408800-1398556527_thumb.jpg

So, Libby, you think that was ambitious?  Hmmm...that sounds like me.  I remember my first hand applique quilt was made with all batiks and afterwards I had everyone saying that batiks were the worst fabrics to use for applique.  I guess when you don't know better, you just DO and you make the most of it.  I think I need to take some long arm classes soon so I can glean more info.  I learn well by watching and listening.  I AM taking a couple classes next month from Karen McTavish, so hopefully I will come away a little bit better than I am now.  Thank you all for your lovely compliments.  I know I am going to get better at this......because I want to.  All your lovely custom work is especially inspiring and that is what I will strive for.  Thanks again. 

This looks great!!  ;)

Totally jealous you are taking classes from Karen McTavish too - she is amazing!!  I just love her personality so much - I was raised by hippies so her rebellious nature speaks to me!!!  LOL  I love that she's her own person but she's also a traditional quilter...which is kind of hard to find in this age of modern quilts taking over the "hip" crowd!  While I love art quilting and modern quilts I'm a die hard whole cloth and traditional quilting fanatic!  :)

Archived