Wonky Blocks, MisMatched Seams and Applique

ive got a quilt that has blocks that are not square, mismatched sashing seams by over an inch, really wavy borders and the blocks have appliqued flowers. Sashing seam widths vary by an inch, too. Should i do an overall panto or go ahead and customize it with something really quick? My instructions are to do whatever it takes to make it look good. And i have a white backing! Any suggestions?

post-10740-0-21940400-1399123551_thumb.jpg

I think this one would scare the pants off of me.  I'm not sure quilting will fix any of this, but you can make your quilting look good.  This may have been a quilt a mother or grandmother pieced so it has a lot of endearment value.  You could practice with some custom work...not that you need any practice at all...if her pocket book allows it.  I definitely want to see an "after" picture. 

Any design you choose that will isolate the mis-width sashings will only accentuate the mistakes. I would use invisible thread and a medium overall on everything except the appliques. Outline the applique and stitch something simple inside so they are dominant. Then swirls or paisleys on all the rest, ignoring the seams. Hopefully that will help draw the eye to the "pretty" and down-play the "not-so-pretty". You can use white thread in the bobbin easily with the invisible top thread, so there's no worry about pokies. 

It looks like block you show should have been sewn with the blue wider strip on the outside--then the sashings would have made more sense. Is the whole thing like this and could it be unpicked and turned easily?

Just when you think there is no such thing as an ugly quilt..... I agree with Linda. Use an invisible to do an overall behind the applique and right over the sashings. Then something in the appliques to give them definition, and call it good. Short of remaking the whole thing, that is the best solution. I do think the varying widths of sashing was done intentionally. The blocks were probably odd sizes, and whoever put them together just wanted the rows to come out the same width. Sigh.....

Would she pay for a double batt to help take up some of the pucker?  I actually think this quilt has potential - not to be beautiful but easy to look at.  I quilted one at Christmas that was purple and gold and not 100% cotton.  It was poorly done - some of the seams were not even sewn together.  I just did the best I could and squared EACH square as I went.  When I got done she was pretty square and all buttoned down.  The lady cried.  I felt bad for thinking it was a sow's ear!

Archived