Another reason I hate doing binding

Yesterday, while sewing binding on with my DSM I ran the needle through the tip of my finger.  See, another reason to hate doing binding!

This is not the first time I have sewed through my fingertip, and won't be the last I'm sure, but it made me angry.  I had to stop and find a bandaid so the blood wouldn't get on the white binding.

It looks okay this morning, but a big chunk of skin ripped off when I removed the band aid.

I would gladly trade quilting services with somebody who just loves to do binding. LOL

I hope your finger heals well and fast. That is painful, as I learned on the Lenni.. sewed a chunk right out of my finger.

I hate bindings and tell them it will totally be done by machine, or just the first seam and they can do the other side, or find someone to do it for them.

My hands just won't sew much any more.

Good luck in a solution.

Rita

Years ago, in a previous career when I did alterations, etc., for a living, I sewed my finger and could not find the needle fragment (it had broken when I jerked my hand out of the way).  A couple days later, Friday, I took off work early to go to urgent care.  I was stuck with a substitute doctor who only wanted to be done with the day so hse could go home.  She prescribed antibiotics since the finger was swollen and told be to come back Monday if it was not better.  Of course it was not better, no worse, just not better, so I went back at the end of the day to urgent care.  I saw a different doctor, one of the regulars, and he ordered an xray.  Even I could see that brightly gleaming needle fragment!  This doctor suggested I make an appointment with one of the surgeons the next day to have it removed as it was well burried.  By now it was well after 6 PM so I did as he suggested.  I went in the next day, Tuesday (I broke the needle off in my finger the previous Wednesday) I went in to finally get the darn thing removed and the surgeon noticed that I had carpal tunnel and was about to suggest waiting still longer so he could fix both at the same time!  Fortunately the carpal tunnel was in the other hand.  I missed work the rest of the day.  I still have a small scar on that finger and yes, it did hurt a lot the whole time!

I sewed through my thumb in the middle of the nail while paper piecing about 5 years ago.   :angry: Yep, I wasn't watching my fingers while sewing.  I had to turn the hand crank on the machine to get it out.  Hurt like a son of a gun, but healed quickly and well.  

Heal fast and do check on that tetanus shot.

Teresa, why don't you do binding on your Longarm. Merry Jo Rembold taught me how to (when she serviced my machine years ago) and never looked back. It's really easy & fast when you get the hang of it. It's also another way to generate additional income.

Archived