What is the name of that tape?

What is the name of that tape that you wrap on your spools of threads/bobbins to secure the loose ends?

My thread drawer is getting out of control with loose threads.  Some spools (superior) have the little notch to hook the thread ends,  other brands do not.  

I remember someone talking about a clear tape like product that you can use?   

I've done so many searches to try and find it, and cannot find it!

If you have a JoAnns store near you, go buy the thinnest vinyl they have (an eighth of a yard is plenty...) and cut it into strips. Then you can wrap it around your spools and it will stick to itself. It is so much cheaper than anything made for this purpose.

Edit to add if you use your rotary cutter make sure there is the paper that it comes with in between all layers! It is hard to get it to separate if you don't.

One more tip....if you go to your local florist, they have little net things that hold rosebuds together to prevent them from opening up.  You cut them to the width that you want and your threads are protected ...either a full spool or a bobbin.  It is probably very similar to Superior's thread nets, but you might be able to get them free. 

Great idea, Chris! I'm running low on painters tape so will have to try the Hugo's tape. Personally, I didn't like it for my threads. I have a few hundred thread spools and the Hugo's was going to be too expensive to use on them all, plus I really didn't like for that purpose it anyway. I'm excited to give your idea a try!

I  use it for the leaders on the bar I don't use since I float my tops; it leaves no tape residue. I also use it to secure my pantos (which I never use, LOL). There are really many household things you can use it for! I use Superior's nets on my thread; they work great, too and cheap.

Archived