Question about SID

I always ditch also. I know so many who think it's unnecessary, but when I see photos posted with beautiful quilting and then little poofs where the seams are, I can't help but think how awful that looks.  I suppose it depends on whether that bothers you or not, but I know it bothers me!  ;)

I don't think.you have to SID each piece.  I would SID the outer edges of the arcs and CC the individual pieces that make up the arcs.  Maybe that's what others meant.  I do believe one can overdo the SID. I certainly don't agree with SID every single seam.

Good topic! Getting ready to do a quilt that needs SID for my granddaughter. I don't want to mess it up! The question is, do you recommend going through the entire quilt to SID and nail it down before quilting or just SID as you go along and advance as needed? Sorry for such a basic question, but I've been doing E2E designs, tons of charity quilts, and just now getting my toes dipped into custom quilting.

Sharon

Sharon, I think that would depend on your thread. For me, if I am using monofilament thread, I would do the whole thing, stabilizing the larger areas as I go. If I am able to use a thread that blends well with fabrics, then I would sid as I go. Maybe someone else will chime in and give us both another perspective. K

First try an acrylic ruler that is no longer than your hand. This will allow you more control. A rectangle with quarter-inch etching is perfect to start with.

Needle down at your starting spot in the ditch and bring up the bobbin thread. Needle down and take a few tiny stitches in the ditch. Again with the needle down, snug the ruler up to the hopping foot and begin stitching, keeping the ruler firmly in place and stitching along the length. Stop stitching, then move the ruler farther along, keeping it against the ruler and lining up for the next run. I seem to be most comfortable with my hand flat on the ruler and fingertips around the edges.

Until you feel very confident, don't move the ruler while you're stitching. Go slowly and watch closely. With practice comes expertise! :)

Be sure the rulers are one forth inch thinck.  The cutting rulers will not work.   ahem!  I'd never do that!!  Just picked up the wrong one from the table.. Scares the heck out of a person, Good luck and keep up the ppp, even when you do them quite well, keep the muscle movements in your brain and muscles.

I haven't done any ruler work at all yet since my machine is just up and running recently...but from listening to you ladies I think I am glad that Millie is on the bottom floor (Basement essentially) and My sewing/cutting room stuff is two floors up!

Archived