Stitch Length?????

My machine is set at 10 stitches per inch automatically.  I never change it and have been wondering if lowering the stitch count to say "8 per inch" might look better.  Nothing wrong with the way the stitches look now but just wondering what you folks use.  Yes, I know I can try it but when I start quilting I forget about trying out new stitch lengths and then when I'm away from the machine I think about it.  (They say this happens a lot when you reach the golden years.)

David

Try to make re-setting the spi part of your starting routine. Maybe put a Post-it over the gauge to remind yourself a few times.  :)

Thicker thread looks great at a longer stitch length. And a thinner thread can go shorter easily. Mine is usually 10-12 spi, but my go-to threads are thin.

I always use a longer stitch for SID.

Mostly I'm between 10-12.

I have noticed that my stitch length doesn't change very much lately when I try to adjust it.

When I get thru the next couple of crazy weeks, I'm going to reach out to Amy & see what might have happened.

But, I'm just thinking I better clean my wheels thoroughly first!

I usually use 11 spi for normal quilting. In my class with Sue Patton at MQS, she recommends going to a smaller stitch when you are doing tiny stipple work like pebbles. A larger stitch length would make the circles have square edges. She also does not use the stitch regulator for stipple work. She adjusted her machine speed for how fast or slow she is moving......woops! Sue Patton never quilts slow!! I do love her and her classes?

When I got Penny,  I tested different threads and stitch lengths and set it aside.  Later I wanted to check a certain stitch

with thread.    Marking the sections with a marker, list the thread and spi you were trying out.

It saves a Lot of headaches!

Archived