1st finished quilt

So a couple weeks ago I put one of my quilt tops on my longarm and promptly made a mess of it. To make it worse instead of stopping when it started to not go well I kept going thinking I could still make it work. I still need to pick out the mess. So procrastinated a bit, trying to figure out how to get leader grips on my leaders, getting new leaders etc before finally just putting a panel on today to practice on. I just did a basic stipple/meander and it's not perfect and there's one spot I'm not thrilled with but it came out way better than the one I made a mess of. I will probably just donate this to the NICU I work in to go in cribs or over isoletts. It's a bit frustrating not being able to just jump in and start quilting my own quilts yet (patience isn't my strong suit) but I keep telling myself I will get there.

post-62078-0-93797800-1439506748_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Interesting being afraid to stipple or free hand as I can't figure out anything else. My attempts with pantograph so far have been unsuccessful. . I think I need the plastic cover to go over the pantograph and I've got a pointer thing but I'm thinking an actual laser pointer would be easier. My biggest problem the first time was in rolling the quilt and getting lots of creases in the backing and some in the front.

yes...there is a learning curve....and forget about the fancy stuff until you have mastered loading the quilt, moving the machine smoothly, figured out the tension thing, learned to easily tie on and off...you know all that boring stuff!  I am still working on figuring out the tension thing (still a bit intimidated by tension changes)...I have now stepped it up a notch and am working on stitch in the ditch and attempting to run with the stitch regulator off as little loops and curves are easier that way...also a learning curve in deciding exactly what do I do on each quilt.....I think this long-arming thing is a life long learning experience....but it is fun...hang in there...just know that some of the things you need to learn are those mundane things sort of like cleaning toilets and scrubbing floors if you want your house to shine!  :)  Lin

There are lots of great youtube videos of loading quilts using the various types of machines and specialty items like the leader grips.  I found these very helpful when I was a beginner and I encourage my customers to watch them....new ones are posted all the time too.  You don't say what type of machine you have so I am not sure what kind of pointers to give you to help keep your backing from getting the creases.  I f the creases are on the top of the quilt there are also some really good videos of how to heal with "wavy" or "friendly" borders and "D cup" or blocks that are too full.

As far as practicing....get a couple of twin flat sheets from walmart (their brand that comes in a cloth draw string bag is cheapest) and load them with some cheap batting.  Start out with light colored thread and then when the area is full of stitching, change to a little darker thread and practice some more.  Continue going over the same area with progressively darker or different color thread.  you will be able to see your progress and it saves a lot of money.   Keep this piece and reload it whenever you want to try something new before loading you "good" quilt.  You can keep layering a new sheet or piece of fabric on top of this practice piece without having to add a new back or batting.

Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of longarming.

There are learning curves. I have an ultimate II which doesn't have a stitch regulator so there is that as well. I am enjoying it though. The new leaders I got are so big. Like 24" of fabric to wrap around my rollers. This quilt and the one I'm doing now I just pinned as I need to figure out the new leaders and leader grips. The leaders on the table now are much shorter and no pocket to put the leader grips in.

I have seen how to use the leader grips I'm just having a hard time getting them installed. My leaders don't have the pocket to slide them into and are too short to sew a pocket myself. I ordered new leaders and they're about 20" wide and no pockets either. So I need to turn up the edge and sew make to make the pocket to slide them into and install the new leaders. Plus trying to figure out if I should make them smaller? In the meantime I'm just pinning too.

Archived