What do you do when....

When you are not quilting or piecing a top what do you? If my hands are not doing something I will fall fast asleep. I read ,quilt mags, books, cooking mags. When the kids get home I spend alot of time with them, homework or just playing a game . Once the weather gets warmer I will spend more time outside sewing but not really gardening...my idea of gardening is telling DH where to plant. LOL. So..what do you do?

Patty

Hi Patty,

I got involved in doing "redwork" embroidery several years ago. I'm working on a patriotic piece right now. It will be a wallhanging when I'm finished. I take it everywhere with me, appmts. guild meetings, just sitting and watching American Idol, etc. I feel like I'm accomplishing something while I'm not so busy. ;)

I live my life, LOL

I have a large family, 5 kids ages from 16 all the way down to 7 year old twins. I own & operate my own long arm quilting business which takes up a lot of time in itself. Then there is cooking, cleaning, running kids all around town, the ever growing mountains of laundry etc... so when I am not doing the above I am lucky enough to get in 6 hours of sleep each night.

So hypotheticaly if I had any spare time I would take a nap!:D LOL

Joann

Ha! I'm single, I do exactly as I please! I go visit antique shops & Quilt Shops all over Houston. I used to handquilt everytime I sat down but have had to let that go since my right hand fingers just can't deal with it anymore, although I'm still doing some applique to finish one quilt I started for my daughter. I read, watch movies and I'm a Fox News Channel junkie. I visit here twice a day and read everything new. I go visist a friend of mine who owns a ranch at least once a month, we enjoy going to the auction. And I take a nap any time I feel like it! I also work full time.:(

I work part time at a real job :( , longarm quilt part time :) , have a need to watch Dancing With the Stars and American Idol - probably because I think I am both when no one is around. I have a daughter who is pregnant and having a very difficult time with morning sickness...that takes up a lot of my day - hopefully that will smooth out soon. We have a place at the lake, so if I can squeeze in time - that is where I get to piece my quilts. We are getting ready to put in a garden if the weather would warm up to above freezing. Oh, and I have recently lost 35 pounds....so I am working out at the gym. Whew...that's it for now.

I think I gained those 35 lbs, too. :)

Besides quilting, I knit, crochet, make beaded jewelry and sew cute things for my 8 month old granddaughter. I work full time, try to get to the gym and yoga classes a few times a week. I babysit a few times a month on weekends, and I love to travel as soon as I get a few bucks to rub together. I hate housework; love to hike, back country ski, camp (winter and summer), have been on 3 dog mushing trips in the last 6 years, and went to Italy and Holland last fall. I just love to spend time in the outdoors, although most of my time is spent in an office or my sewing/quilting room. I also enjoy cooking - perhaps that has contributed to the weight gain-LOL. I also enjoy meeting friends for a leisurely lunch on a Saturday afternoon, and sipping Margueritas. Reading books like The DiVinci Code and Angels and Demons. I love Brittish comedies, especially As Time Goes By and also Keeping Up Appearances and Waiting for God. I especially love spending time with my family.

Let's see, get up 30 min. early so that I can sew something before going to work at the "real" job. Do that for 8 hours, come home and walk the dogs, do some sort of sewing in the evening. Hand work while watching movies with my DH. Plus at least one night a week at the quilt shop, and Sat. afternoons. Days off are spent doing household chores (I can live with a little extra dust if it means more sewing time), long walk with the dogs so that I can try to catch up with Mary Beth on the weight loss. I'm only at 25 lbs. Then the rest of the day is spent with my girl. I'm currently stumped though. I need to quilt a spider web to finish this one, and I can't draw. Help please!

Beth

Mary Beth...congrats on loosing 35 lbs. that is just grant. Since I quit trucking I have lost 17 just being home and being more active. I eat much better too. Wish I had the energy to use the treadmill...it looks good, so does the bike, but I get soo tired so fast. i have kidney decease and have to take a lot of pills and they zap my energy. But I am alive and functioning, and my DH is gone 3 weeks at the time, so I can do any darn thing I please when ever I want. I take care of my two puppies and we will be gardening and walking as soon as it dries up here. I love all the CSI's, and Americas top model.

When DH is home we like to visit with friends, sip some wine and enjoy eachothers company.....

Since I changed from outside job to machine quilting at home a whole world has opened up. Beading, jewelry making, polymer clay, then there is this show called Oprah that I had heard rumors of!!! Soon it will be gardening. Last year when I first made my change, I gardened for 4-6 hours a day for a couple of weeks!!!

However, this idea of snacking also opened up and I am trying to close that portal as the # on the scale is 10# more than it used to read.

I hope to be off to the Chicago show this afternoon if the weather cooperates!!

FREE TIME - what's that. I work full-time so when I get home, I walk the dogs, get supper, quilt or piece for a couple of hours, laundry, iron, clean house, and we do our church bookkeeping...it seems some nights I never sit down until 10 or 11. I love to read and try to relax a little with a good book before going to bed. Summer we have a huge garden and I can lots of veges plus I love my flower beds. My Mother keeps telling me to slow down....I figure as long as God gives me my health, I'm going to keep moving as someday I won't be able to do all these things. I also teach quilting classes when I have the opportunity. Life is busy, but it is also inspiring. Keep on, keepin on....

Sharon

When I do have a moment...I spin yarn, knit, teach quilting, hopefully piece a quilt top, bead, embroider, garden, bake (I give most away...my favorite to bake is cinnamon rolls), make jams, go walking and I would love to learn to weave. I have given up some hobbies, such as needlepoint and crocheting...but I just recently learned to tat with a needle instead of a shuttle. My girls think I was born 100 years too late and I need to live on the prairie...

I love Living History Farms when I lived in Clive, IA....:D and I loved the Des Moines Area Quilters Quild...they are awesome

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Sue, have fun in Chicago. Our small group has gone since that show started, but this year a couple couldn't go so we decided not to go without them. Last year, we took the train since most had not ridden on a train; it was so much fun, we ate and talked and stitched all the way to Chicago and back. I'm going to miss the "vendors" - what a special place. We'll be thinking of you!

Sharon.

A stay at home mom with three kids (4,9,12) and a home quilting business sometimes there is not a lot of free time. Love to piece quilts when have time not quilting for other people. Don't get enough sleep so when I can a nap is in order. On many medications for 2 different diseases that make me very tired. Basically just try to make it through the day by doing as little housework as possible until hubby starts to notice. Which he points out frequently things to clean. I hate housework. Love to cook but not bake. Would love to learn to knit sometime but haven't found the time or someone to teach me. Gave up crocheting for quilting.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

I have very little free time for myself. I have actually had to pencil in time for myself and my kids. Of course my kids are teens now and want to spend less and less time with their momma, but we still try. I have one thing that i do for myself once a week. That is Tuesday nites, I go bowling with my friends, great group of gals and fun for all. Of course the league was over this week and they -for whatever reason- elected me as the Vice President for next year. What were they thinking?!:cool:

I also make time for myself and my husband at least once a week. We now have two businesses and have to incorporate our time together with his work but it is still so much fun. He has a karaoke set up and the local pub actually pays him to do karaoke every other week for them! So we go to this together and sing to our hearts content. It is great.

Whew! were did that come from?

It is the perfect time to load that muslin and PRACTICE PRACTICE. Also doodling on your eraser board while having a glass of wine and cheese and crackers.

Good time to catch up on Photos in your computer of your completed tops too.

Dont' forget the LONG LONG BUBBLE BATH

My time is taken up from 8 to 4 with payable endeavors. My evenings are spent cutting, piecing and quilting. My weekends and sometimes weeks are spent working and training marshals for the pit lane at local race tracks. Volunteerism at its best. So you can see where I get my love of fine machines. And a millenium is on my list of the best and a sure want-to-have.

gloria

I WORK 90 HRS A WEEK AT MY REAL JOB. I CLEAN THE CHURCH WEEKLY, I RUN MY QUILTING BUSINESS AND EVEN STILL MOW MY OWN GRASS. MY REAL JOBS CONSIST OF SLEEPING SOME OF THE TIME.

(HOME HEALTH CARE) . I BELIEVE REAL SOON MY REAL JOB IS GOING TO BE MY QUILTING BUSINESS DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY QUILTING CUSTOMERS ARE NOT GIVING ME MUCH SLACK TIME. I'M NOT COMPLAINING. WAIT TILL I GET MY COMPUQUILT. LOOK OUT!!!!! I'M ALSO NOTICING MY TIME IS PASSING READING ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY. IT'S BEEN SO HELPFUL AND WHEN NEEDED I JUST PRINT IT OUT. HELPFUL TIPS. THANKS GIRLS/GUYS

What do I do when I'm not quilting. We live on 81 acres and there is always something that I can find to do. There's playing with the dog or one of the 6 cats, or just going out for a walk. The walks are very nice and I always have at least one pet around to keep me company. Than there's moving the lawn or clearing brush for a burn pile,(Season permiting). How about me 3 trusty chain saws, I can always find a tree that needs cutting up. Oh!!!!!!!!! how about hunting season.......... Maybe I'm boring you about all these guy things when we aren't quilting, but then again QUILTING is our passion. No matter what you do, enjoy.....zeke........:P

Archived