I am really annoyed

I shut my Freedom off 2 weeks ago when I completed my last quilt that was currently on the frame.  Today, I can't get her to stitch no matter what I do.  I've changed needles, rethreaded, changed 3 different bobbin cases, cleaned her ( even though she didn't need it).  I am at a complete loss and so frustrated I could just spit.  I feel like I have a complete lemon on my hands, it will go fine for a while, then nothing but trouble.  

Hi,

the motor runs just fine.  No, the motor doesn't kick off.  The thread breaks, and bad stitches - either in regulator mode or not.   I have a whole uninterupted week in front of me to get customer quilts done and I can't do a darn thing!   I walked away for a few hours, then went back and tried again.  Same thing.  It either loops huge stitches, or stitches fine, then the odd big stitch, or other times it won't pull up the bobbin thread, and when it finally does pull it up, I stitch a few stitches and the thread breaks.  I'm using Omni and Bottom line.

Rethread machine completely using different thread.  Start out as if you're a pilot doing preflight checklist.  Threaded properly...check.  Stitch size selected...check.  New bobbin...check.  "Clicked" when placed in machine...check.  New needle...check.  Needle inserted properly...check.  Yadda, yadda, yadda. 

It may be out of time.  Have you timed your machine before?  Pretty simple actually and the APQS web page has directions on how to do it complete with pictures.

It can be a lot of things, but these are a few simple things to do while you're waiting on a response from the professionals.

When I have these kinds of issues, I start by soaking the hook assembly in WD40, sometimes overnight, then do a thorough cleaning, just in case there's some "gunk" hidden in there. Next, I make sure that the thread path is correct. Rethreading completely, like Oma recommended, is definitely a good idea, and make sure that your first thread guide is directly over the center of the cone. Check your needle bar height: with your needle in its lowest position, you should see the eye of the needle and the littlest bit of the shaft above it.

Can you post some photos of how it's quilting?

I don't know how to post photos to the forum, but I will take some tomorrow and give it a shot.  I will clean with WD40 in the morning as well, and try the different thread.  No, I have never timed the machine.  i haven't done anything that would knock out the timing, does it just sometimes go on its own?  I have had a machine for 13 years and have never, ever had to time it.  Thats a new one, so will try the other options first.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Just about every time I have had problems with consistent stitches and getting loops....It has been one of two things...either the thread guide was not directly over the cone or thread had jumped out of the thread guide near the front of the machine by the tension assembly...so...now what I try and remember to do is to gently tug on the top thread and make sure that little wire like spring on the tension assemble moves downward as I pull...so simple...but so overlooked by me and after checking and rechecking everything on the thread path and cleaning everything...that is what it was....so as a last resort...I dig out the manual and look at the threading instructions...and go through the check list in my head....hope you find what it is and let us know......Lin

Hi,

Well, so far I have my machine getting a good bath with WD40.  Have let this sit for several hours and now that I'm home from grocery shopping, am going to go up and finish the deep clean.  I take very, very good care of my machine, so this whole thing is a mystery to me.  Am going to work on all of your suggestions and will post later tonight on how it all goes.  Thanks so much for the input - with customer quilts waiting, these sorts of issues make me a bit nuts.  Don't want to let my customers down, or delay them in any way.

Hi Everybody,

Well, we are post DW 40 bath and cleaning.  When I first turned her on this afternoon, all was ok electrically.  Well, after leaving her on for a while, while cleaning, when I touched my handles, the lights flickered and the machine appeared to be off for a moment, then came back on.  Happened twice.  I finished cleaning her up, oiled all the necessary places - including the bobbin.  Changed needle again.  Rethreaded from scratch.  Tested her on muslin/batting scraps, all appeared good.  So, I went to stitch my basting line, got half way across, thread broke again.   Sigh - - 

I called Karen McTavish and left a message.  Hopefully I will hear from her tomorrow, didn't expect any reply tonight.  Am wondering if its electrical or what - out of my depth here.  Will wait to hear from Karen, and from maintenence in Iowa tomorrow.  Am planning a trip to Iowa with her Wednesday if necessary.  So, that is where she stands at the moment.

wow...are all the electrical connections tight...do you have it on a surge protector?  Is it only the one quilt that you are having problems with as it seemed to work fine with the muslin/batting scraps?  I did a batik quilt the other day and one...and only one of the batik fabrics,,  it seemed the needle had to work hard to punch through and it really made a loud "thunk"  with every needle stroke...changed needles...same thing...I don't recall having any thread breaks though on that quilt...just jumped a foot every time I hit that particular fabric.  The lights flickering bothers me....I had to replace a circuit board on one of my DSM when that was happening.  Lin

It's good you contacted Karen.  She has lots of experience and will take good care of you!

Symptoms: thread breaks and poor tension. 

Doesn't initially sound electrical.  You mentioned having your machine on a surge protector.  APQS recommends a Pure Sine Wave Uninterrupted Power Source?  Does it have a battery backup?  Most of our studios have a fluctuating power supply.  A Pure Sine Wave UPS provides consistent power to the electronics and the motor in our machines.  I have a battery backup with mine because I use Quilt Path and we get thunder storms on hot, dry summer days.  If there is lightening near by, my machine is protected.  If there is a power outage, I have 30 minutes to finish my quilt or save what I'm working on to finish it later. 

Well,

Its resolved, Thank Goodness!  I didn't have the machine threaded properly for Omni - you only use 2 holes on the thread guide, not all 3.  It also was an entire pack of bad needles.  Karen figured it out, by going over everything with me one step at a time.  Am so appreciative to have such a great resource close by.  I'm loaded and quilting!  YEA!!

Archived