Channel Locks - A practical discussion

I've done the search and found a lot of scattered references, so I'm trying to get it all into one topic for those of us who are looking at used machines as well as the new ones. Don't want to end up without something we will wish we had later.

I see a lot of used machines that don't have the electronic locks at all, then there are the ones that only have the horizontal. I'm assuming that the vertical are the last developement in this area. I see the use of the horizontal in starting the batting, and the top. I see where the vertical is used in basting the edges to keep the quilt square and stable as you quilt through a section for borders and rows. What else do you use your channel locks for? What if you don't have the vertical locks - how do you get the straight vertical line when you need it? WHEN do you need it? Do you use them for crosshatching? Do you use one more than the other? Other ideas and questions welcome - let's talk channel locks!!

My machine does not have channel locks if I am going to stitch across the quilt in I lay a bolt behind the wheel in the track so the wheels can't slide backwards

works for me but I don't do a whole lot of quilting to use channel locks I will b curious what others say and how they use channel locks

I only have the horizontal (side-to-side) lock. I use it to stitch a reference line on the batting and backing when I load a top... (I do a modified float most of the time)

I also had a "duh" moment a few days ago... I've always had trouble getting pantos on the table straight. I'd put it on and measure and fidget and measure and fidget more. It was time consuming and a pain! Then I realized I could set the channel lock, and run the laser light down the edge of the panto or the printed border and presto... straight panto!

The option I really wish I had gotten is the single stitch. I've got a great callus on one hand from turning the flywheel at every stop & start oh well, maybe on my next machine.

Hi Kenna,

I use my channel locks (both) as you mentioned to line the quilt up square. Another time I use both is when I am doing a piano key border. It eliminates the use of a ruler to get the straight line.

Don't use them for crosshatching as you would have to load the quilt diagonally. Although, you could always start a new look and do "vori-hatching", rather than "cross hatching" :P Hey, I'll have to copywrite that!!

I think they are handy to have, but you can get by without them by using clamps behind the wheel.

Patty

A Liberty only comes with the mechanical Horizontal lock, but if I had the vertical, I would use them together for crosshatching (I think straight crosshatching is a nice alternative) . Vertically, the machine does like to "catch" in a particular groove, so I try and get my sides straight when basting, but I do sometimes get a bit of an hourglass. That's really more the piecers problem, but we do try and improve their work, eh?

2 cents....I agree with Patty. I only use mine for batting, lining up top, piano keys - good idea, will try that next time. Only use horizonal mostly. Hardly ever use vertical unless I am locking my machine in place when I break a thread while using pantos...makes it easy to know where to come back to. Also, when I roll a panto, I find where the next row should be, then lock the machine using both, then roll the quilt and ta-da....Probably not worth spending $$ for, but since I have already, I use it.

I use the horizontal lock to stitch down the batting when I start--I do a full float usually. I then use the same to help to load square across the top at the first seam line, not the at the edge. This is more accurate because of potential wavey borders. Then I find the happy medium measure of the width of the top, again at the first seam line, and wrap blue painters tape around the top front roller (a handy hint from Sherry R-H) at that width. Using that mark as you advance keeps the top centered and even.

I have used the locks for hatching (whatever type!) but there may be problems with piecing so you have to watch carefully.

So you can see that it is a great measuring tool and also useful for stitching. Just a thought.

Linda Rech

Brilliant!!! This has never occurred to me!!! I only have horizontal lock but when I was doing a quilt in SID, I was wishing I had the vertical lock under my thumb!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

I also had a "duh" moment a few days ago... I've always had trouble getting pantos on the table straight. I'd put it on and measure and fidget and measure and fidget more. It was time consuming and a pain! Then I realized I could set the channel lock, and run the laser light down the edge of the panto or the printed border and presto... straight panto!

I have used both vertical and horizontal when SID around 4-patch that makes a continuous diagonal design, such as on my Flower Dance quilt. Works really well. Since I also did the piecing of the quilt, it was straight. Sometimes this would not work if the piecer was not careful with her/his placements and corners.

Otherwise, I, too, use them for alignment and basting of the quilt top. I find them to be valuable - even if their use is somewhat limited. I have never tried them for straight crosshatching, but I do like the looks of that arrangement.

I have a Liberty, only has the horizontal locks use it to line up my edge of my quilt top for a partial float (I float the top of the quilt top but secure the bottom to the quilt top roller until I am ready to stitch it then I remove my pins(no I don't us the zipper leaders...I am use to the pins and prefer them, lol I am in the minority on this issue, LOL) any ways hence the name partial float).

As for lining up the pantos...never had any problems with that either...I use the magnetic strip on the table top as my straight edge and refference when I lay down my pantos. If you put your table top on right the magnetic strip should lay perfectly on top of the magnetic strip that is on the back frame (the one where the tape measure thing is) then I just place the straight edge of the panto along th straight edge of the magnetic strip...perfectly straight every time, no measuring, no worries.

As far as the basting along the sides of the quilt top as you advance the quilt I have never missed the vertical channel locks (can't miss what you don't have) I pin my sides down then I can do a pretty straight line of stitching when pulling my machine straight towards me (you can also use the edge of the foot as your guide and run it along the edge of your side of the quilt top.

Joann

I have both and use both. They also work well when doing a celtic maze

type of a pattern. Just have to remember which button to hit at the correct

"when"!! Works pretty smooth if you do....:D Piano keys too - great idea!

I usually just do them freehand - didn't think of the locks. Thanks!

Archived