Lost my mojo

No new client quilts to do. I have several of my own to do and actually have two loaded (smaller so both at once). But I can't seem to get myself going. I look at Magnificent Millie, and just can't seem to start. Husband had major surgery early December and is still healing, I know that's part of it. I need encouragement. 

Pamela, It's okay for your mojo to just sit down for a while. It is not required to "be productive" all of the time. You have just come off of the holidays, coping with your husband's surgery and recovery, and whatever else may be going on, and your energy and coping reservoir have been drained. It's okay to rest. When I complete a quilt or have no customer quilts staring at me, I sometimes feel a little lost. I have been known to just go into my studio, sit down at the sewing machine, talk to Miss Margie (Millie), or just look around. Usually, there is something to put away or to read or to touch or something, and my interest begins to be renewed. If you really want to get moving - invite a quilting buddy (someone you don't have to clean house for) to come and spend the day sewing. You will enjoy the company while you get to play with fabric.

Blessings!

Today, my mojo is saying "Don't bother me - I'm resting." I don't want to start construction on the new quilt, I don't want to quilt. Lately, I have been sorting through the small fabric stash of my dearest friend who passed away about a year ago. Getting it ready to sell. Today all I want to do is sit with her fabric. I miss her. I have things to do for the new quilt, though. I make patterns and construction  handouts for my quilts so I can teach a workshop on them. So there are a few files I create to document yardage calculations, cutting table, etc., EQ8 file to update,  make sure I have all of the border sizes correct, etc. So today, I have my computer with me in the studio. I get to sit with Dorothy (her DNA is all over the fabric), and get some documentation going -- maybe. Or just sit. I will have a satisfying day either way.

My Millie is set up in my deceased mother's bedroom.  She lived with us for 5 years as she battled cancer.  I can feel at peace even if I just go in and sit for a few minutes on my lunch hour.  I wonder if in January, we are just catching up from the FRAZZLE of the Holidays.  I love all processes of  Quilt Making.  It does bring me joy - but you are right.... Reflection and renewal is required as well.  I last really quilted mid November.  I feel like I am ready to go.  Enjoy your quiet time as it is precious!

Roberta 

I am in the same state of mind.  I had a massive heart attack at the end of Oct 17.  I was brought back to life.  Recovery is a long, slow process and I am doing well.  I  was in the process of piecing a queen quilt for a friend and quilting it for her.  The top is almost all put together.  I got it out the other day but we have had company/family here since before Thanksgiving.  I have been ready to finish piecing the top and getting it on my Millie.  However, DH has filled all my working space in front of my Millie with his stuff.  I don't know where he will put it but it is going to have to be moved.  He is an artist and he has many paintings stored around my Millie.  He has two file cabinets full of stuff.  Crap, stuff he needs to get rid of or move out from the frontside of my Millie.  I cannot begin to quilt until this is all moved.  I am a frustrated wife.  Most of our home (including all of the garage) is his stuff.  The front bedroom has become his walkin closet which most of needs to be thrown away.  My husband is a hoarder and will not part with any of his ancient clothes that do not fit, over a hundred pantings that  he needs to try to sell or paint over, tech coming out his ears (3 computers in this room).

Does anyone who is married to someone like this know how to cure him of his hoarding or need for new clothes?  Help!

Marilyn, sorry it took so long for me to respond! I am saddened to hear about your situation. Whether there is a cure for hoarding is a question for a serious professional. But I really understand about "invasion of my space". Since I was a child, I have needed to know that what's mine is respected by those around me. My ex-husband was a "sophisticated" hoarder. His collections of choice were clothes, magazines, newspapers, and a variety of hobby stuff. He started invading my sewing space in the first house we owned. After that, I determined that where ever we moved to, there would be some sort of personal, un-invadable space for each of us.  And, now with the love of my life as my husband, I am grateful there is no issue with that. As is my custom, our home has his/hers office space, and his/hers hobby/activity space.  Not ideal spaces - a freezing cold semi-finished basement for all but my office - but we both have our own space

Another example is a friend of mine who tends to hoard - she is not a compulsive buyer, really, but lives in a small house that has no room for the type of storage she needs. The main issue is that she doesn't discard much except normal garbage and daily trash. She and her profoundly patient husband have resorted to renting 2 or 3 storage pods and storing them on their property.

So, you are not alone with your dilemma. The solution that will work for me may not work for you. Yet, you deserve your own space, free from the constant risk of invasion. However you are able to negotiate that with your husband, I pray that you find a way.

Blessings!

My mother was a hoarder. Her favorite item was paper of all kinds. She died last November and we are slowly cleaning out her house. My sister who will inherit the house is in no hurry to leave Florida for the weather we are experiencing here (14 inches of snow, followed by another snow storm, and temperatures in the teens). For those of you in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Alaska, I can hear the "you weeny", LOL but  I digress.  Last week when cleaning out a drawer, I found a birth announcement for a childhood friend along with a picture of her in the hospital bassinet which looked like a wire basket. My daughter, who has been helping me, tells me it is like a treasure hunt. That's one way to look at it!

Pamela, I too have this.  I am cleaning my head out under the oil wicks and found lots of oil and black residue that might have gotten on mine or customer quilts (lucky it did not).  This is productive time to inventory or work on embroidery, piecing, cutting with AccuQuilt out new projects.  I joined a Quilt Along at the beginning of the year on Facebook under the AccuQuilt Facebook group that I am a member of, and we are on our second block this week.  So it would be fun, and you need a qube, any size, and the angles companion to the qube, and the corners companion qubes.  I am happily cutting and piecing these.  It's normal to relax a bit now and then, and it keeps it fresh for you.  I know, because when I moved there was a time of not really using it much.   Each year, I often get so busy with my own Christmas quilts and clients that I feel like it's a burden to start another on the machine.  So I take a week or more off.  Usually from Dec. 10 - Jan. 6.  This year's no different.  Call me if you want to talk.  You are my dearest friend, and I am always available.  

Archived