What about Quilt-EZ?

I'm new to quilting, and when I say new I mean brand new! I have read so much about circle lord on here, but very little about Quilt-EZ. I have checked out both their sites and the designs look very similar (and I think Quilt-EZ has more designs) and they are cheaper. What is a benefit of going with circle lord? What would I be missing if I chose Quilt-EZ?

Thanks

Okay, I know absolutely zero about quilt EZ, but what you would potentially miss with the CL is the incredible ease to make designs, uncompromising customer service, and 12 months interest free. As I said to Nora earlier, you'll notice that there are never any used CL's for sale around here, and think that's because everyone loves them so much that they wouldn't think of parting with them.

Good luck with your decision.

Beth

I just purchased a Quilt e-z babtist fan template that was advertized here a few weeks ago. Then I had to get a stylus for my Gammill so I could use it. The stylus just arrived earlier this week so I have not gotten to try the template yet but I am extremely excited about it. I already have one customer quilt that will be getting this design and I also have a vintage top that is no heirloom (a hodge podge utility quilt that I got in 1986 in a junk store in Armarillo Texas for a whopping $10. I had thought over the years to take the quilt apart and resew it for the fabric contained in it but think instead I am useing the babtist fan and just allow the quilt to be what it is.......................a vintage utility quilt.

Don't say no one ever sells their CL. I sold mine. I decided that I didn't use mine enough to warrant keeping it. I felt that if I was going to make it worth my while I would have to have more of the templates for it. In my opinion, the templates are over priced. The Quilt EZ is a very similar system, but it doesn't clamp down to the table as the CL does. The templates are less than half the cost of the CL.

I've decided that I would rather work from the front of my machine as much as possible, so I've purchased templates that I can use from the front. I'm just under five feet tall and if I use a template system like CL or Quilt EZ I have to run back and forth from the front of the table to the back of the table again and again in order to place the templates properly. It really slows me down to have to do that. I know that Michael's wife (of CL) is also very short and she doesn't have to run back and forth. Her arms must be a lot longer than mine because I sure can't reach over the machine to adjust things.

I think you have to look at all the systems available and decide which is the best fit, physically and financially, for you. The CL just wasn't for me.

I absolutely love my CL. I don't know anything about the Quilt EZ, but wouldn't trade my CL for anything!!! I just tried my Featherz template today for the first time and was very surprised how easy it was. I would recommend it to anyone who is pondering spending the money. There is a big expense involved, but there was one with your machine also. I couldn't imagine using a template that wouldn't clamp down in the back of the machine.

Kelly

Mille owner

I recently purchased a CL recently (last month in fact) and the reason why I went with CL over Q-EZ was because at first glance it may seem that Q-EZ is less expensive than the CL but if you compare them closely you will see that CL in the long run is a better value, here's why...

1) yes the CL King Templates are pricey but that is because the template is in 2 large sections (for queen size quilts/10 ft tables) and 3 large sections (for king size quilts/ 12-14 ft tables) I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the Q-EZ is a smaller section of template that needs to be moved down the table as you quilt.

2) the individual templates for block designs that Q-EZ offers are 1 design with several sizes on a template where the CL block templates (aztec, heartz, starz, ginko, etc..) offer 100's of different design combinations with several sizes on 1 block template (excluding the spiral template and the square spiral template which only offer 1 design) so you may spend a little more up front for these templates but you are realy getting so much more for your money in design capability.

3) it appears that the support is there for both products which is a plus for both.

4) the CL offers a more sturdier construction for their templates because they are attatched to the table which I would think would make less chance for errors.

5) the CL offers an interest free payment plan over a 12 month period (no $ limit that I am aware of) . Does the Q-EZ offer that?

6) I am sure Q-EZ stands behind its products just like CL does.

7) They both seem to be comming out with new products on a regular basis which is a plus, since quilters always want to add to there accessories for their machines.

I have a good size customer base and yes most do prefer pantos over custom because of $ but for my customers that do like custom and for some of my own quilts like a lot of variety when it comes to choosing a block design and the CL can offer me that without having to purchase alot of multiple templates.

I also have been using my CL all day with no previous practice on muslin, I just jumped in and started using it on a customer's quilt and I am amazed at how good it looks..I haven't had any problems except for a shakey roset corner that I used for my corner on my rope border but I am thinking of ripping it out and going with the simpler corner design instead (circle/rounded square). I will post a picture of the finish quilt when I finish it in a couple of days.

Like someone else stated earlier you need to base your decision on your need, cash flow and how much variety you want from a product.

Good luck with what ever you end up with.

Joann

Joanne I will correct you "I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the Q-EZ is a smaller section of template that needs to be moved down the table as you quilt. "

That is not the case. I have 4 pieces that you connect togeteher and they lie nice and flat. YOu can buy one or more section so you decide how many you neeed. With my 4 sections I can quilt something 96 inches wide without any interruptions.

The biggest driving factor for me in my choice of Quilt EZ is that the templeate backtracks over the exact same line to go around where the arcs connect and the Circle Lord leaves a gap. That gap on the Baptist fan bothers me and when I saw the Quilt EZ pattern I was thrilled that there was one out there that looked "correct" to my eyes.

Sewingupastorm;

thanks for correcting me on the large templates, in this area it appears this to be a better value $ wise.

But I still think that CL has the better value and variety of design options with the block templates.

Does anyone know if the the CL stylus is compatable with the grooves on the Q-EZ templates? if it is a person can get the best of both worlds :P

Joann

Guest Linda S

I also think the Circle Lord is the better value. The Quilt EZ is a nice tool, but it is very "what you see is what you get." You get one design in several sizes with each template. Most Circle Lord templates give you a variety of designs in different sizes with each template. The Circle Lord also makes it very easy to clamp those designs down to the table so they are not moving all over the place when you are quilting. I have some friends who have had trouble doing this with their Quilt EZ. They are both good tools, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

IF you actually will use the numerous designs available via the CL then it probably is worth the money. However, if you are merely using the flat table templates, then it may be debatable.

I do believe having a clean surface (easily done with a swipe of a damp rag followed with a dry rag on the table and perhaps on the template grip material itself, if necessary) keeps the Quilt-EZ template absolutely stable. Personally, I've only had to wipe down my table once for the templates and that's because I had a ton of dust in the studio. I love the simplicity of the Quilt-EZ concept. Absolutely no problems. HOWEVER, I'm not interested in many of the CL designs such as the spirograph-like patterns.

It really boils down to what are your needs and what is your budget. They are both great systems. One obviously has more versatility but at a considerable cost! For many, this cost will be well worth it. Just not for me.;)

Hi HotQuilts,

Thank you for your honest evaluation of the Quilt EZ. I think the "template" part of the Circle Lord is what is confusing me the most. You helped clarify that for me while I debate this purchase.

I associate the Circle Lord with the giant spirograph system and it's many uses. I have the DVD and have watched it several times. That is why I would consider that system overall. If I wanted to learn and use the variations of that flat spiro system.

It's like Circle Lord has two distinct products in a way. So, now I have to decide do I want to make "circle designs" and purchase that system and add templates too---or if I want to base a lot of my design work on long design templates at a more reasonable price-, scratch the spirograph concept--(Circle Lords long templates are expensive in comparison) then I could favor the Quilt EZ which has a lot of "template" designs for less money.

Maybe I should buy the Circle Lord just for the Spirograph part;)----and then the Quilt EZ just for the template boards, like the Baptist fan, etc. ;)

I don't know why the Circle Lord connecting templates would be any better than the Quilt EZ? Does anyone know any appreciable difference for these two companies template boards? Fabrication, durability, how they rest on the table?

The sprirograph part is a separate consideration. Right?

Maybe if you intially purchased the Circle Lord for the Spirograph part of the system---then you expanded out with the template boards----you of course would stay with the same companies products

I have neither, and am trying to decide which to intially buy.

I have wrestled with this decision for weeks now. I keep reading here in hopes something will click that makes me go with one of these products. Heaven forbid there was a third choice!:o

Sparkle,

I have just purchased the CL at MQS. I practiced with the circle maker part for just a very short time and it was very easy. I was eager to get on with it so I put the Feather whatever it is called and was making feathered wreaths just like that. I also purchased the King Zig-Zag because looking at the examples hanging on the wall of the CL booth, it was very versatile. You can do waves, a chicken wire looking thing, one called Lips, and whatever else you can come up with. Then you can also do zig-zag, crosshatching, and a few other funky things that I don't see on other quilts.

I do so many pantographs and I wanted to be able to do something different. CL has so many different templates and you are only limited by your imagination. My plan is to purchase one every year or as business allows. Next is the one that does Baptist Fan.

I don't know anything about Quilt EZ, but I love the CL...and I have to tell you I was quite skepticle because of the price. I honestly think this is one of the best investments I've made. I had the Hartley Fence, and I think it is a good system too, but it was a little complicated for me, and I don't have the patience to learn something that I feel is sucking up my time.

Ultimately, you are the one that knows if your business can support the price of any of these systems. Also, you are the only one that knows what you are willing to spend in the way of money and time.

Good luck in your quest, I know it is a huge decision.

Have fun, no matter which one you go with,

Mary Beth

I think Marybeth said this better, but I was composing while

she was publishing.

;)

Sparkle,

Circle Lord tools are professional tools, made to help

you make money. Time is money.

Each template, whether, those that go on the CL, or the

Giant "Katch-ing" templates, have more than one pattern.

The Aztec has 500 patterns for $129.00. The Zig Zag has

many patterns capabilities, for, 30% more than the price of a

single use template set. It does, not only Zig Zag, but waves. It is, also, precision adjusted to make crosshatching and wave patterns.

The Giant templates are most efficient and profitable because

you can sew a king in one pass, or turn a twin on it side and, again make a long pass.

CL Giant templates come in 2 or three sections. Easy to

assemble. Lightweight and quick to assemble and disassemble.

The hardest part of using templates and rulers, on the back or

front is holding control and accuracy. The Circle Lord, firstly,

a clamping device that holds optional templates. Then,

you can move it, quickly and center it in seconds to do the

pattern. With no other system, can you sew 48 feather wreaths

of 4 different sizes, with one template.

Veteran quilters like the small CL multi-pattern templates because they give them a quick and accurate way to produce custom patterns in many blocks without frustration and frogging. Breaths new life into their quilting day.

New long arm owners have invested a lot of money into

their machine and studio. With limited experience, it is hard

to get going. With the CL Giant templates, you produce

quilts to be proud of right away. Your customer is happy and brings you more. You now have the confidence, and time, to learn the techniques needed for freehand, panto and ruler work.

The Circle Lord tools are an investment, to help you make

money, to pay for your machine investment. Because of our

payment plan, you can have 3 Giant templates and the stylus

for $130.0 a month. So, do one queen quilt for $.02.per sq.in.,

and you have more than paid you monthly payment on the Giant templates. Do 4 a month, and you are paying for your machine. Most experience quilters should charge $.03 per"

for CL work. You may finish a quilt in a short time, but you have

paid for tools to do this. This will take up only 16-20 hours of your month.

I hope this answers some questions.

Cheers,

Michael

PS. the Gammill Design Center is a real Spirograph tool, using

gears in the same way as your toy one did.

I have no idea what the cost of the Quilt EZ is (heck, I have the Cl and I don't even have an idea what it costs!) but here's how I would look at it. You can spend more to get the CL with all of its capabilities or you could spend less and get the Quilt EZ that does less. What if next year, you decide you want to be able to do more and you didn't get the CL? Would you be kicking yourself in the rear?

I'm amazed over and over again at how many designs can be made with the CL. I was playing with my ginkgo template the other day and I had so much fun!

When the Baptist Fan first came out, I saw pictures and thought I'd never use that. I eventually decided I needed it and I can't believe how much I've used it!

I debated for a long time before buying the CL (and even longer before installing it!) and I have never been sorry I bought it -- only sorry I didn't buy it and install it sooner. Of all my longarm gadgets, that's the one thing I would replace in an instant if something ever happened to it.

I can't speak for the QuiltEZ. I have the CL and love it. Something else to consider when using giant templates is the time to do the quilt. For a quilt that is 80x100 I would probably charge approx $165 to do the BF or Clams. I would mount it sideways and have to do about 8 passes of the BF. This could probably be done in 2 hours, maybe 3 with a little break in between (although I tend to take a lot of breaks;)). Not a bad hourly wage, I would say!!! ( I don't know if all my figures are exact, but when I use the templates, I figure I'm making a good $50 per hour wage). So, as Michael says above, one quilt per month would help pay the system down...or, in other words, a few hours per month would pay it down!

Everyone has there own opinion, and that's great. I just had to chime in and say that I have no regrets. Also, on this forum, there has been almost nothing but good said about Circle Lord.

Have a good day...........

I have the fan/clam, & the swirls king templates, I plan on charging my panto rate for these which is .015 per sq inch since they are technically an ETE design and there is no moving the templates into different positions to create a pattern. So for the 80X100 size quilt Sandra mentioned using a clam or Baptist fan on I would charge $120.00 which would be about $24 per hour which includes 1 hour to press the top /backing breifly and pin it to the leaders and 4 hours (includes advancing quilt, changing bobbins etc.. and taking a couple of small breaks) to quilt a queen size quilt.

If I had the zig zag king templates I would probably charge my custom rate since to get the different patterns you need to move the templates around a bit.

Joann

I probably need to add to my previous post where I mentioned the Hartley Fence. In my opinion these are two entirely different tools and probably should not be compared. It is true, they are both used to make circles, but I think that is the only similarity. The Hartley Fence is a great tool for those that have it and use it, I just never used it. And that is my disclaimer :)

Guest Linda S

I tried to use my Hartley Fence. I even took a class on how to use it. I eventually gave up and sold it. I'll take the Circle Lord any day. It's a complete no-brainer on how to use it!

Linda

Well, I've stayed out of this pricing thing until now, so I'm going to put in my 2 1/2 cents worth here. (that's per sq. inch, of course :D )

The CL is great. I have a few basic templates, not the whole shebang sp? It does make work fast for many things. But if you think about the cost of the e-t-e templates like the King Clam, Waves or Ropes and the cost of a panto, the price difference is enormous. They BOTH would quilt out at about the same time, a panto may be even faster since you don't have to control the stylus through the grooves. The cost of the CL is going to take many, MANY more uses to pay for itself than any $20 panto will.

Time is a factor, cost of equipment is a factor. I think it's okay to charge something between basic panto prices and full-on traditional custom for use of these tools.

Back to work. Sisters is just days away, folks are calling to check up on their quilts for the Fair coming up. It's hot, hot, hot outside and cool, cool, cool, here in my little studio on the lake. :cool: ~~ Eva H.

I hate to chime in with a different opinion but I really think that I work up the BF and Clams much faster than any of the pantos that I have. Don't get me wrong, I do like doing pantos...it's what most of my quilters want ( not much custom work ). But some of them take me a good 15 minutes per row where the BF and Clams just take a few minutes. Plus, I find that a lot of my pantos take more time to set up the next row. I also don't find it a problem guiding the stylus along the grooves, this only seems to make it more of a no brainer. I can't argue about the price difference of course, but it doesn't take too many quilts to make back your money on the giant templates.

Just my opinion, and no affiliation...just a happy CL user!!!:P

Price does become an issue when talking about these large templates but I think if your business is doing well than it can absorb the cost of the template fairly quickly (but if you are just starting to build your base you may want to be choosy (?) about the templates you buy.

Also I think that any method one choose to do, whether templates w/stylists or pantos using laser light depending on which one you do often will determine the speed at which the task can be finished.

I personally would have never atempted to do a clamshell or baptist fan with out some sort of template even though there is pantos for both of these on the market there is too much room for error and with these designs, accuracy is important. So well worth the $ in my opinion.

But then again this opinion comes from someone who currently owns over 80 pantos, LOL Some women are addicted to buying shoes I am addicted to buying pantos, thread, and now CL templates :P

Joann

Archived