One down, 15 to go -It's done!! (with pics)....

It's done!! Pictures are below. I remember now what I was thinking when I look at darkest picture that really shows the texture.

I need to learn how to take better quilt pictures. I probably took 50 pictures of these and the ones below are the best I can do. Wish they were better.

I think my customer will be pleased. She is an avid hand quilter so this is really going to be out of her comfort zone, but I think she will like it. If I remember correctly, this quilt is for 1 of 2 daughters. There is a second one just like this, but with different colors, coming later this year for the 2nd daughter.

Debbi

Purty, purty, purty, purty, purty, purty, purty.................

Yumma, yumma, yumma, yumma, yumma, yumma, yumma....

Girl... you are a quilting machine! woo! Dang! You did all that in two days? Whoa, missy!

So pretty, so yummy. So simple, yet so exquisite. It's perfect. You done good! You let the applique be the stars of the show (as it should be), but you made those stars really sparkle with your lovely quilting!

I think I love you... Will you marry me? ;):P If you won't marry me, would you just let me come over so I can watch you do your magic? :)

Awesome job...what did you use for the batting to get those checks to "pop" so much..how many hours do you have in that?..approximate is fine...

I was going to post one I just finished, but it's very simple compared to yours because when I looked at the estimate I realized I didn't charge enough either..so I kept it simple where I could. BUT that darn Sherry Rogers really started something with that basket weave design she used...I couldn't do the micro stippling in the block area as I'm losing money on this quilt as it is now. I did use the larger basket weave...but I love the effect... and I love that checked effect you did.

post--1346189826099_thumb.jpg

Debbi - That quilt and the quilting is absolutely spectacular!!! I am so impressed! It's beautiful!

Hester - I also think your quilt and your quilting is wonderful.

I am just amazed at the quilting possibilities and your creativity. I look at my quilts and would never think of doing what you have done. I need to expand my boundaries and think outside the box more. Thanks for sharing!

Love the checkerboard, applique is a passion of mine and I'll have to try this some time, although I haven't mastered such small stippling yet :(

And, Hester, I really like the basketweave...I'll have to look in the old posts sometime to see where you get the stencil. So do you mark the whole section with chalk or something...and there must be lots of stops and starts?

You can get the basket weave stencil from The Stencil Company..Sherry Rogers started the whole thing when she used it on a quilt called Lime Squeeze,( check the previous post or her website for a picture) she used the smaller version and micro stippled the block sections and it was SPECTACULAR!! Now I have used this larger version on my last 2 customs and it really looks terrific even without the stippling... So much more than just cross hatching, and yes there are a zillion stops and starts but I got in a rhythm after the frist 2 sections and it went pretty fast. I used the purple air erasable pens..never have had a problem with them, sometimes I have to spritz with water to get them to disappear as fast I would like.

Both of those quilts are stunning! I can't imagine what your clients will say when they see the fantastic job you've both done.

Looks to me like both those quilts should be showing up in quilt shows soon!

Thank you. You are all too kind!! My customer will be picking up the quilt in about an hour. I talked to her last night, she had a little bit if sticker shock, but when she sees the quilt I think she will understand why.

The quilt took about 33 hours of quilting, with most of the time spent on the checkerboard in each block. I was stitching the grid lines, and carefully retracing over the grid lines so that I didnt' have to do a lot of stops and starts. After the first 2 blocks, I had one of those DUH moments and I figured out that I didn't need to stitch the grid lines beforehand and started stitching them as I went.

Also, it was difficult to keep track of which of those itty bitty squares and parts of squares needed to be flattened when you got inside the small spaces around the applique. I solved this by putting a blue dot in every other square. Then all I had to do was go around the block and applique and flatten each square or part of a square that had a blue dot. This made things go faster and I didn't have to concentrate so hard.

Lastly, I did not microstipple and I have no interest in microstippling. No way. It's just too much work. What I did was go back and forth horizontally and vertically 3 times in each square, and then stitched again around the edges of the square to clean things up. I did make sure that the corners of each square got flattened because it just made it look crisper and cleaner.

Anyhoo, it's done, I'm glad and it was worth the effort. We'll see soon if my customer thinks the same....

Hester - your quilt is beautiful. I love the basketweave on the quilt.

Debbi

Debbi: I just re-read your original post. There's another one just like it coming! Are you going to do the second one the exact same way and charge the same price? I can't imagine that anything done on this quilt could have been prettier and I also am betting that whatever you're charging, it isn't enough for the time involved.

I am sure your client will love it and agree that whatever you've charged here was a bargain, especially since she's a hand quilter and should have an appreciation for how long this took.

Thanks to you and Hester, I've just ordered the basketweave stencils which I managed to talk myself out of ordering when I first saw Sherry's quilt but the temptation was too great after seeing these two quilts.

Originally posted by quiltjunkie

Awesome job...what did you use for the batting to get those checks to "pop" so much..how many hours do you have in that?..approximate is fine...

I was going to post one I just finished, but it's very simple compared to yours because when I looked at the estimate I realized I didn't charge enough either..so I kept it simple where I could. BUT that darn Sherry Rogers really started something with that basket weave design she used...I couldn't do the micro stippling in the block area as I'm losing money on this quilt as it is now. I did use the larger basket weave...but I love the effect... and I love that checked effect you did.

Hester,

From a Quiltmonkey to a Quiltjunkie... :D

I love the basket weave background you used on this TB quilt! This is one of those "gotta have gadgets" on my ever-growing-longer-list-of-gotta-haves... :)

You do beautiful work. I always enjoy your colorful quilts and quilting, Hester. Please share more! --Shana

Archived