rear handles

smudges

Hi! I am a newbie and have a brand new Millennium. For a few weeks now (since I got my machine) I have been cursing and swearing while trying to do pantographs, most of my curves were looking rather more like rectangles than curves. I checked and adjusted everything, my table is perfectly level, the table is exactly the same width all the way down, I adjusted my wheels to every position possible, all with no success. I kept telling myself it just takes practice, but it didn't seem to be helping at all. My curves from the front are fine, nice and curvy.

Then it finally occurred to me what the problem was - I am short and wide and so have short arms and a tummy that sticks out more than I would like, and in order to reach the handles I had to reach forward so far I was losing control of the machine. The carriage sticks out further than the machine, especially when stitching close to the front of the table, and this increased the angle I had to lean in. As I leaned in my albows got closer together and I was less able to control the machine, hence the square curves. I have taken the handles off and turned them around the other way so instead of angling towards the front of the machine they now angle back towards, and OH MY instant results! It takes about a quarter of the effort to push the machine around, and my curves are nice and round, and I can quilt for more than 10 minutes without my back getting sore (I never have back problems doing anything else).

However with the handes backwards of course my buttons are now backwards, and the angle is not very comfortable to grip. Is there a bracket or something available that will let me mount my rear handles the right way around but further towards the rear of the machine?

Sorry it's a bit long winded, hope it all makes sense :)

Susan in Australia

Susan - interesting.... I do not know an answer for you, but that does seem

to make sense. Personally, when I am working on the back side of my

machine, I am standing off the side, kind of "hugging" my Mel.

(we get really close during these times!!)

The machine is to the right of me, I am right handed. If I have the head

pulled back, I will even reach inbetween the machine and the bars to

reach the buttons on the far handle.

I do perfer the front and also have better control there, maybe somebody

will have an answer for you - good luck!:)

Susan,

I don\'t have an answer for you either but this is an interesting solution! I am not short, rather I\'m on the tall side. In stead of holding both handles I only hold one side. I start the machine and then switch to holding just one. That solved all my problems. I also sit while doing the panto which helped with the back pain. I can roll right along and still get a very smooth panto. The back side of my machine is not my favorite place to be though.

Heidi

Hello Susan,

I agree with Heidi. I too start out using both hands just until I get my thread anchored, then switch to just my right hand (also right handed). I usually put my left hand on the take up roller for balance and then just use one hand to move the machine. I\'ve not tried sitting down, but after seeing that this is what Heidi does, I\'m going to give it a shot on my next panto quilt.

I never would have thought about switching the back handles around, but I guess we have to do what works for us. I hope that someone from APQS will see this and comment.

Glad to see you posting here and welcome to the chat.

Most people (but not all) find that when doing pantos using one hand, one handle is the easiest way to go.

I use my right hand on the left handle and place my left hand on the take up roller. I have done it this way from the very start and never had any problems with squared off curves and such. By placing my left hand on the take up roller I have lots of control from the widest/ easiest of pantos to the most intricate to the heaviest pantos.

Before cursing anymore try this method (with the handles back in the original position of course) ;) and see if it helps any. If not call Amy at the factory on Monday to see if thre may be another solution to try.

Good luck!

Hi again! I have tried doing it with one hand but all my curves, points and straight lines turn into triangles, I have absolutely no control. And if I stand to the left of the machine I can\'t reach the right handle.

I just had another play with the wheel settings and noticed that when the machine moves side to side both the front and back wheels on the left hand side of the carriage move up and down slightly as if it they were buckled or warped, the other wheels all look flat when the machine is moving. Is this normal?

I am in Australia and we don\'t have international calls on our phone so it\'s not so easy to just call.

Thanks!

Susan in Australia

I had exactly the same problem - I too am short. My husband fixed me up.

First, he took a coat hanger and made a thread holder up front (cone goes on the metal piece where you would put the laser in front - this makes it very easy to switch threads as well - no walking around to the back all the time). The coat hangar is attached to two screws that are already there at the front of the head, on either side. The hangar goes up, makes a little twist to hold the thread, then down to the other side. Sorry I don\'t have a picture, but look at the ones for sale (for a lot of money - and this is free!).

Second, he took a wooden dowel (around 1 1/2" in diameter, about 6" long) and drilled a 1/4" hole through the middle, long ways. This sets down on the metal part that usually holds the thread, on the panto side. (This is why you need your thread in front.)

Now I can stand to the left of the machine with a hand on the regular handle, and a hand on the wooden dowel and it\'s much easier for me.

This was a subject of posts not too long ago - do a search and you\'ll find other ideas. Some people hold a handle in their left hand and put their right on the take up roller. Others just use one hand.

Good luck!

Julia

Kathy, aren\'t there electronic parts where you have the drawer pull located? How did your DH know where drill for the screws? Looks like a good idea, otherwise, to have better control from the back of the machine.

Thanks for sharing those photos.

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

I stand to the left of the machine, but I use both hands on that left handle. I have better control than with just one hand. I also sit when I\'m doing pantos. I find a place that I can pause and shift my chair everytime I reach that point. I also glance over at the front of the machine to make sure I haven\'t run out of bobbin thread when I pause.

Hi again! OK the buckled wheels are fixed, I read on this board somewhere that sometimes the carriage can be twisted and you just undo the screws and then tighten them again and that sets it straight, did that and the wheels are now sitting flat and I don\'t get that little bump each time the wheels turn.

I have a idea as to how to make a bracket to move my handles out towards the back of the machine further, just have to pop over and get some metal to make them, I\'ll post pictures when I am done if it works LOL!

Thanks!

Susan

For those of you with "older" machines. I replaced my wheels on my 2-3 year old used Freedom with the newer style wheels. Circles are now round (not rounded squares) and my control is great. My machine lides like it is on wet ice! The newer machines have these "improved" wheels already.

Don Fagnan \\_o

I think the key is PPP. It takes a bit of practice to get those curves to curve instead of flatline. I also had boxes instead of circles. I practiced forever it seems, but finally it came.

I am the Amazon of the group, or at least one of them. I can reach any thing, any where;) I too stand at the left of my machine, put my right hand on the left handle, left hand on the take up roller and away I go. I have tried to hold on with both hands - ha - what a mess that was. I would give it up if I had to do that - totally un-natural.

You have to do what feel right for you. Find your comfort zone, then just start doing loops and circles on a practice piece until you feel your confidence building..(Dawn Cavanaugh is going to love that one, coming from me).

Mostly, have fun. Don\'t let doing circles consume you, just relax and practice.

Archived