Miner and his Mule quilt

This is the Miner and his Mule, I made this one for my Dad but he\'ll not get it back for a year or so.....this is the only quilt MQX allowed me to enter,,,,,,not in the catagory I wanted...I tried for Men only quilting but they booted me out and put me in a different catagory....He is done the same way Tumbilina was done, but quilted regular from the front, all work for the miner and mule, clamshell was quilted from the top ....all my quilts get flipped at one time or the another... not this one:D.....This quilt is 40" x 50"..100% cotton, batting also cotton....

post--13461898830119_thumb.jpg

I think it was the computerized class only, I didn\'t even look at the standard brown ribbon they send to all the entries...beings that this was the first and only show I have ever shown my work in... outside of my own guild....I\'ll have to go dig the thing up...I was so underwhelmed that I forgot....

Lovely. Have you painted the fabrics with shiny paint or is the shine just from the fabrics?

I wouldn\'t enter a men only category if I were you. Do you really only want to be judged because you\'re a man? I have the same issues with my vegetable allotment, every year I get entered into the" Best plot tended by a woman" category. The assumption is that the majority of plot holders are cloth capped old men with years of experience and lets give a bit of encouragement to this upstart woman, it seems a bit patronising to me.

So , be who you are and enter so that we can have the pleasure of seeing your work in the "flesh".

I didn\'t enter the Men only catagory only, I entered 4 catagories with 4 different/seperate quilts and was reduced down to only one catagory by the MQX people, I had no choice as to what catagories I could enter, they decided....My quilts were un-entered in the 4 different catagories, and the Miner and his Mule were put in a different catagorie, not the Men only devision....I was told that It unfair for me to enter the other devisions with quilts that had computerized quilting in them, the painting also confused them so they wouldn\'t let me enter the other divisions I wanted.....I\'m not classifiable....This is my own creation/technique, I am the only one that uses this technique that I know of;)....

Seeing that miner crouched down swishing his gold pan gives me a back ache. Beautiful job, on the miner and the Mule with it\'s packs..

I keep looking for the "three"quilts someone mentioned.. eye sight must be slimming down as I can only find one.. May I ask where I can view the other two?

This fascinates me.

RitaR

Michaelalan,

I also love this technique. Thumbelina is adorable, and this is just fantastic.

Why don\'t you question the folks at AQS\'s shows in Nashville or Paducah about letting you teach a class on how to do this? Then I\'d be able to meet you and get instructions from you, as would the others who admire your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice quilt! Thanks for posting the photo - love your work!

I really agree with Teresa and the others! You need to name this method

and then teach it!! Would enjoy a class on this!

Rita - There is a past post about Thumbelina where he should us a quilt

and this one was mentioned.... so we asked him to post this quilt.

I am also wondering where the other one is? What was the name of that

one???

Marlene - That was one of my first thought when I saw his Thumbelina!!

Must be this time on year, with the angel on top of the tree......;)

Archived