Buying supplies wholesale.

I have my tax number and would like to be able to buy my supplies wholesale. For most of you regulars who are running a business, where do you get most of your supplies at wholesale prices? I have looked at some of the sites on the internet, Checkers, Hobbs (batting), Superior threads, etc. and they all list retail prices but some of them say they don't sell to consumers. None of them list wholesale or tell you how to obtain their list of wholesale prices. Any help from you wholesale buyers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jessie

Hi Jessie,

When I got started, I found that most companies (Brewers, Quilters Dream, The Quilted Rose) wanted a copy of my business license in order to start ordering wholesale. I found that I had to contact the company by phone of email so they could send me an application for a wholesale account even if I had no plans to "owe: them money. I have my business credit card and that is easier for me to use than trying to remember to pay Brewer, QD, etc.

After faxing a copy of my business license to Sonya in Henderson Nevada, I get wholesale pricing on my Superior\'s stuff from one of their distributors, www.youcanquiltit.com. She will set you up with an account (username and password) so you can login and order anytime. I receive my orders from her (Sonya near Las Vegas) in less than a week.

I also had to fax my license to Brewer to get an application and wholesale catalog. I get my Warm Co. batting products from Brewer on the phone since their catalog is completely unreadable and their web-site is equally awful. It normally ships fast, they have distribution centers east and west.

I also faxed license to Quilters Dream. They sell only batting and as soon as you set up your account, they will send you a wholesale price list when they ship your first order. They are very generous with batting sample packs, too, if you want to distribute them to the LQS or your customers directly. QD is located in Virginia Beach so it takes me 7 - 10 days to get my stuff from them. I have found that the shipping costs add roughly $2.50 to each batt which still gives me a tidy profit since I charge the same price as the LQS charges per equivalent quality batting. LQS does not stock QD. QD also gives a break to west coast wholesale customers who order rolls of batting. The shipping on my QD Deluxe cotton (twice as thick as Warm and Natural) was $20. Of course, Jessie, you can just take the Portsmouth tunnel to 264 and head toward Lynnhaven Mall to get your QD batting. ;)

The Quilted Rose (www.thequiltedrose.com) also needs a copy of your business license to give you wholesale pricing on your thread. She has a great selection and her retail pricing is also very competitive.

One word of caution, some companies that give wholesale pricing have a minimum annual purchase requirement. :o They sell to quilt shops who have a bigger sales than most quilters do so be sure to ask if that is one of their requirements.

Since my business license lists that I sell batting and thread, that is about all I order wholesale. Oh, by the way, I think that companies are reluctant to post wholesale prcing because most customers would be amazed at the mark-up they pay on quilting items. :mad:

It is a bit of a hassle setting things up initially but once that is done, you are on your way. Good luck in your new business. :)

One other thing, to add to Linda\'s post. I just recently ordered Hobbs batting from Longarm Connection, (very good to work with). Since you have a minimum order from Hobbs directly, and I cannot use that much batting at one time - storage issues. The shipping prices are getting crazy. I am thinking at this point to suggest to my customer what my favorite brands of batting are and suggest that they purchase them....that will save me the hassel and cost of shipping. I know I will be taking a chance on getting bad batting, and I may change my mind when the time comes, but I am reallyconsidering this.

Surperior Thread will wholesale...just call them with your tax ID number.

Guest Linda S

You can also set up a wholesale account with Checker. They have a minimum order of $150 wholesale. Used to be $75 for longarmers, but they have decided that\'s not cost effective so they have made it $150 for all. I also have a wholesale account with EE Schenck -- luckily, they are in Portland so I can go and pick my things up without having to pay freight.

Linda

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have made a list of all the companies mentioned in your replies and will be busy tomorrow. First with getting some of these places in my favorites list and then getting them on the phone. You all, as always, have been a great help.

If you need help, just go to the forum. It is great to have all you friends to talk to and you are always willing to help. Thanks again. Jessie

I buy all my thread from Superior Threads, they give a great discount. All you have to do is fax or email them a copy of your business license and they\'ll convert your email log-in to their wholesale listing. They do require a yearly minimum but if you\'re using a lot of thread it\'s worth it. They\'re also the greatest to work with. I\'m also able to buy from them wholesale at quilt shows.

I havae ordered wholesale for a very long time. I have now just went and bought batting at a store. They sell it for just a few cents more than it costs me to order wholesale and ship it...I really hate this because you dont always have the right size....the joanns store I bought some things at has gone out of business. things are getting tougher to get...

That\'s the truth. We just found out that all our Walmarts will no longer sell quilt batting. That was the one thing people could get from Walmart, even though the fabric departments are long gone. I personally don\'t like the Walmart brand batting, but my customer loves it; so I only got one quilt from her instead of the three she had ready, because she didn\'t have any batting.

Other than Hancock\'s or Hobby Lobby, there\'s no place within 2 hours to buy fabric and batting.

Hobbs does require a 4 crtn min, but since I carry the batting as a convience for me rather than the customers..can\'t believe how many don\'t bring batting.. I store a lot of rolls under the machine and anything else in the garage. I make money on the batting, sell slightly less than retail, but I use a lot of the twin, 8 rolls to a carton, cost with shipping added to each roll $6.35 ea, Dbl cost w/s $7.05 a roll and Queen $7.15.. I don\'t know how you can complain about that price and having the size you need on hand it just wonderful.

As of 1/1/2008 I stopped carrying batting for resale. It just got too expensive to ship the big rolls and I don\'t have space for it, plus I wasn\'t able to charge enough $ to make it worth me having all that money tied up in it. Besides in my area there is alot of quilt shops and stores that carry batting.

Linda S....HI!! I haven\'t seen you on the chat lately! Are you doing ok? It was good to see you....hear you.... read you...whatever, you know what I mean!! :) I am going to be getting my millie any time now, and I am starting to think about my supplies also. Is the $175 at Checkers for each purchase? Do they have a yearly mimimum? Do they carry the thread that I will need? I hear most people talk about Superior thread. I got on their site and I think if I remember correctly that the mimimum for the year there is like $400.... I don\'t think I\'ll be using THAT much thread!!! Do they carry batting? I think they are located kind of close to me that I could just do a day trip to get my things if they have what I need. Thanks for the info!! I am so excited to get started, but not sure what all I need to get started....know what I mean? again, good to "see" you! linda

I have just opened a wholesale account directly with Superior Thread. There is a minimum of $400 per year, cumulative over 12 months. I am betting I WILL use that much, & hedging my bet by offering to purchase for friends who like it. It is not available retail near me, so I have to buy enough so I will be sure not to run out. Plus, it\'s just so PRETTY!

I have been buying batting wholesale from Quilters\' Dream for several years now. They are also great to work with, and have NO minimum of any kind. Their product is not available here in stores either, & the customers just love it, as do I. They have a new poly batt called "Dream Puff" which is great; I swore I would never quilt on poly again, until that came out. Their cotton & wool are also fabulous; easier to sew on than Warm Co., in my opinion, & available in lighter weights, which is a plus here.

I will not order from a company that only ships UPS, they are just too expensive. Both the above companies ship USPS Priority, & get your orders out the very next day if it is in stock, so you have it in just 2 or 3 days, even here. Sometimes it takes me that long to work up to getting dressed & going to town! Big improvement over the old days, when parcels all went boat mail, & we had to get Christmas gifts mailed by Nov. 1.

Archived