Millennium upgrades?

I just found Heidi\'s email with the upgrade pictures. It appears that the angle of the slope of the top of the machine head has increased significantly. Is that the case? or is it the camera angle that makes it appear so? If they were going to change the angle, I wish they made it flat so the thread stands I added to the top would rattle less. I think I\'ll save my money for the next upgrade and hopefully they will give us a foot with better visibility, like Sharon Schamber\'s machine. Or like the foot I saw on a gammill on raichert\'s website, I think. That foot had a "U" cut in the front, so the metal was much narrower at the front of the foot and gave better visibility. I just read a post from Sherry R-H (not sure when the post was dated) in which she mentions removing her light and getting the $15 Ikea light. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if those 5 LED cap lights would work. Have you guys seen those? My husband and I use them to walk in the dark in the summer. We walk before the sun comes up because it\'s hot in Arizona, and we have a black dog who gets overheated if he spends much time in the sun. Anyway, those lights (available at amazon and walmart and other places I\'m sure) give us plenty of light to see in complete darkness. They run on lighium batteries and last a very long time. They claim 100,000 hours. Sounds preposterous but we did use them for 3 months, an hour each day and they are going strong still. I\'m going to see if they give enough light to quilt by, and if they do, I can stick them on the side and front with the stickum putty that Sherry mentioned. Or double stick tape. Anyone know how to remove that stickum putty when you want to change a light?

Cathey - I would think that Goo-B-Gone stuff would remove any

sticky residue. Hope so anyway, I super-gluded a plastic cover

over the flywheel. It came from a christmas gift, flashlight. The

covers on the water-erasable pens are the right size too I think.

I am glad they moved the power switch up, I always thought

that its placement would be a big safety problem..... working on

the front so much - almost always! - When my machine was

throwing a fit when the relay went out - no button stopped it!!!

The power HAD to be shut-off! I was trying to stop or hold the

flywheel because I was in the middle of a quilt top, I yelled at my

daughter "Shut it off!!! Shut if off!!!" No way I could reach it and

it had already broken the needle and was punching a whole in

the quilt.... gggrrr..... DO not want that to happen again!

I would like the upgrade and received the email awhile back. It

will have to wait until I am ready to get a second machine I

think and have a seperate studio. Something to work for and

look forward to!!:D;)

I went to IKEA to get another snake light like

Sherry Roger\'s(?) picture. They have a brand new light called the "lack" it is two lights on one strand and the strand is very long. The light has a cover that comes off and then sticky tape. I took off my light bar and put one light on the front and one behind weaved the strand through the bobbin winder pegs adnd down the back. ( I use the turbo winder that came with the machine) The lights are maybe 1/2 in height so there is no obstruction. The are led so they are cool (I wont be melting any more micro handles) and IKEA states the bulbs never need replacing. It is amazing the view I now have and it only cost me $21.

I would post a pic but don\'t know how

Melora

Melora

Cathy.

Yes those are the lights and the outer circle with the holes for screws comes off leaving just the light

Barb I will take a pic when I get home later tonight and show you what I did. If you knwo how to post pics that would be great. I know Sherry Rogers pics were helpful (till I went to IKEA anfd found this new light)

Melora

I\'m listening, but you\'ll have to wait until I actually RECEIVE the photos before I can post \'em!;)

And to remove the light bar, you need to unscrew the four "thumbknobs" above your handles - they hold the handle on - and move the handle out of the way. Then you can see a pair of screws holding the angle bracket in place - you\'ll need your trusty Allen wrench to remove those. Don\'t forget to unplug the light bar from the head unit.

Good luck!

Hi Cathy

Just wondering why you want to remove the thread cutter? If you are having problems with it let Amy know and she\'ll help.

If its to reduce the weight of the machine, I find it balances the front and the back beautifully as the back is heavier because of the motor.

Best wishes

sue in australia

Sue,

I was thinking of removing it because I never use it, and I had read in some other posts that it would make the machine lighter, and therefore easier to move.

I haven\'t ever used a Millie without the thread cutter attached, so I didn\'t realize that it might actually balance the weight.

Thanks for this information!! I won\'t worry about removing it.

Thanks,

My light bar was a tad different in that there are wires coming out of the head into the light. We cut and secured the wires and pushed them up above the micro drive handles.

I am actually glad to have the light gone because it seemed to collect the oil from the wicks. (yes I may be over oiling but not convinced this is the case). I have great vision now. The pictures have been sent to Barb ignore the ugly basement . No sunsets down there but occasional water events have happened

Melora

Melora - thanks so much for info about IKEA light. They do not have it on their website, but it is available at an IKEA store some way from me. 75 miles, but I am considering taking a little trip if the roads are good. Cust. service was so helpful said Canton store had 42 in stock and the item # is 80124290. The only bad news is the price has gone from $19.99 to $24.99. Guess that is still less expensive than upgrading my machine (which I wouldn\'t do anyway).My husband is patiently awaiting pictures showing your installation. Thanks - thanks - thanks.

Marilyn

Archived